• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid-19 (Coronavirus) Support/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Plenty of quoting from Max Hastings in some of the earlier episodes!

Bomber Command is an absolute tour de force of a book. It was written during the 1970s when many of the bomber crews were still alive and able to give first hand knowledge.

Heavy going in some places and not exactly “light reading”, but an absolute masterpiece of the genre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Ah well. Just checked in with my boss to let her know I should be back off sick leave in a couple of weeks (after being off since just after new year).

She said that only one person is to man the office each day...and that for the duration I'll have to work from home because of being diabetic.

Fun thing is... can't access the network from my home laptop as my user account is locked, all the office laptops (3 for 7 people) have been taken, and to unlock my account, I need to be on a PC that is connected to the network so IT can access it... and some of the software we use has only 10 licences... all of which are in use!

The way I feel, I could do with a pint (but the bloody pub is shut and we've ran out of any kind of booze at home - and low on Irn Bru!)

:(

theblackwatch

Established Member
Yes I've discovered streets etc in my local area that I never knew existed!

I spotted a snicket (southerners, look it up on google :lol: ) yesterday which I wasn't aware of before. Might investigate where it goes to exactly tomorrow. I could look it up on a map, but that would spoil the fun!

AntoniC

I was sent home last week as I am high risk.
At least I can work from home Tues - Fri.
To keep myself amused I am watching loads of stuff on youtube (Mighty Jingles/Drachinfel/Wolfpack345/Lullujo) and playing loads of a game called World Of Warships on Steam.
Oh, and reading + posting here !

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I spotted a snicket (southerners, look it up on google :lol: ) yesterday which I wasn't aware of before. Might investigate where it goes to exactly tomorrow. I could look it up on a map, but that would spoil the fun!

Might be bit tricky to "social distance" if you meet someone coming the other way!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Great idea for a thread.

I'm retired and live on my own so not feeling as lonely as those used to a busy working environment probably are. I'd usually be getting out and about with the weather as nice as it is but instead doing a job a day; today was the lawn mowing, tomorrow probably a deep clean of a room or two.

I'd like to have joined the volunteering scheme but am in the category that must avoid unnecessary social contact so have been helping people through local Facebook groups. As my income is secure I've made monetary donations to the food bank and loans to relatives.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I live alone and work from home 95% of the time.
I have hobbies that used to keep me occupied during the evenings and weekends so I wasn't stuck at home the entire time. Everything relating to these hobbies has been cancelled/closed/postponed.
Not looking forward to be stuck at home 24/7 but its beyond my control or it will be once the emergency laws have been passed in Parliament.

That's pretty much my situation too. I felt pretty sad last week as one by one all the activities I was involved with got cancelled and I suddenly went from a very busy life to, very few reasons to leave my front door. Annoyingly I also have a slightly sprained ankle which means - although I can cycle - I need to be a bit careful not to cycle too much - which is a pain because with the gym shut, cycling would have been the only substantial exercise I can do (Running or impact stuff is a definite 'no' until it heals). And I'm not looking forward to what I fear could end up as several months without any meaningful contact with anyone.

On the other hand this week I started to feel a bit better as I realised there is lots of reading and stuff that I've been wanting to do for ages. Including trying to re-learn most of my old University physics. And I still have lots of work - which I guess means I'm a lot less unlucky than those who've suddenly lost most of their income.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Might be bit tricky to "social distance" if you meet someone coming the other way!

I will turn back, and hope there is nobody following me. :lol:

Was it a snicket or a ginnel?

Around here, the two tend to be used indiscriminately. I'm sure there will be areas where one of the two is more common, but this thread probably isn't the best place to start discussing local colloquialisms in detail!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Today's permitted walk will be to the supermarket. I need to get cards for three people I won't be able to see on their birthdays over the next couple of weeks. I have plenty of food but will top up to avoid another visit to the shops.

It will be interesting to see what social distancing measures Asda have in place, how busy they are and whether there are still any shortages.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How are we all doing today? Getting your state mandated exercise? Keeping up social distancing? Got enough food?
We’re doing good here. I’ve not been out for a couple of days now and just been getting on with building jobs at home - treating it like I’m at work between 9 and 5 in a way.
Had some really good chats with people on the phone, plenty of food in, but may need to get a couple of things in tomorrow.
Early days I suppose but it’s been fine so far.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We’re doing good here. I’ve not been out for a couple of days now and just been getting on with building jobs at home - treating it like I’m at work between 9 and 5 in a way.
Had some really good chats with people on the phone, plenty of food in, but may need to get a couple of things in tomorrow.
Early days I suppose but it’s been fine so far.

Similar. Working from home which is based on IT connectivity and conference calls I have a list of jobs to do and am knocking them off one or two a day. They might be small ( like fixing the towel rail) but it is doing them each day that matters.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How are we all doing today? Getting your state mandated exercise? Keeping up social distancing? Got enough food?

I went for my Boris Walk yesterday in the sunshine. Spent some time also cursing the sun for deciding to pop out once we're all on lock down and can't actually enjoy it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Similar. Working from home which is based on IT connectivity and conference calls I have a list of jobs to do and am knocking them off one or two a day. They might be small ( like fixing the towel rail) but it is doing them each day that matters.
Get that towel rail fixed!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
done. Today is to try and sort out the dripping radiator valve and spray the slight stain.
I do wonder (and I’m not directing this at you because I know you’re practical) how many extra DIY injuries the hospitals will be dealing with over the next few weeks?
Be careful out there everyone. Don’t try and drill holes in the walls using a whisk or something silly!

RichT54

I've just been on a walk round the neighbourhood, 2 miles in glorious sunshine with an amazing lack of vehicles. There were a few other people out for a walk, some with dogs. Most were making an attempt to keep their distance, but still gave a cheerful "hello" or "morning". One house had a team of builders busily working on the roof and there were some highways workmen doing something with a cherry-picker at a road junction. The only stores I saw open was the Tesco Express, the 2 pet shops and the filling station. The small Coop had its shutters down with a sign saying they would be closing from time to time to restock. I did hear one train sound its horn for the Darby Green foot crossing and only heard one aircraft when normally you would hear a few dozen.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I do wonder (and I’m not directing this at you because I know you’re practical) how many extra DIY injuries the hospitals will be dealing with over the next few weeks?
Be careful out there everyone. Don’t try and drill holes in the walls using a whisk or something silly!

don't be silly. You cant use a whisk to drill a hole. thats what a hammer is for

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
i go about 2100. It is so quiet.

What I've found a little odd is hearing things going on in the middle of the day on a work day which would normally happen on a weekend or in the evening. People mowing lawns in the middle of the day or firing up power tools for some DIY.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I've found a little odd is hearing things going on in the middle of the day on a work day which would normally happen on a weekend or in the evening. People mowing lawns in the middle of the day or firing up power tools for some DIY.

Same as normal around here, it's an area where there are a lot of retired people and self-employed tradespeople, meaning that there isn't really the traditional "everyone's out for work between 8 and 6" type scenario here. I'd imagine that may well be true in a lot of 1970s build "average estates" if you see what I mean.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I went for my Boris Walk yesterday in the sunshine. Spent some time also cursing the sun for deciding to pop out once we're all on lock down and can't actually enjoy it.

I'm thankful for the sun. Being from Yorkshire, it is providing a good source of heat without having to resort to having the central heating on any more than normal. I might put the washing out - a good way of being environmentally friendly, using solar and wind power to dry it. :lol:

AM9

Veteran Member
Three weeks ago I suggested that as there were quite a few oldies, (i.e. even older than me) who might have to self-isolate for a week or two, that we ought to offer to pick up a few essentials from Waitrose, (it is our 'corner shop') so he (as the local neighbourhood watch rep.) put out a feeler newssheet. The response was positive so we set out to see how a support group could work. After a discussion with the local Pharmacist, we added a prescription order delivery service as well. A note was put out as to how it would work, and then several residents in the group (most of whom I'd never spoken to in 27 years) offered to help as well.
Then the announcement about 'at-risk' and those over 70 were told to stay at home for 12 weeks so neither the NW rep., nor I can partake, except as a point of contact. I am a bit disappointed but pleased that we seem to have a well-rounded community spirit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.