• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Germany is considering making face coverings compulsory in shops and restaurants from "October to Easter"
(currently only in hospitals & public transport).

https://www.thelocal.de/20220526/german-health-minister-planning-new-mask-requirement-for-autumn/

Yes I briefly read an article about that on The Sun website yesterday. Compulsory face coverings muzzles from OCTOBER TO EASTER???!!! Absolute MADNESS! And just a few weeks ago they finally scrapped that nonsense(apart from public transport for some stupid reason). I was thinking of doing a trip to Germany this coming winter, getting on for nearly 3 years since I was last there! But if they bring that face muzzle nonsense back again, then it looks I won't be bothering!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

As I predicted, it looks like Ireland is returning to restrictions, less than four months after mandatory masks were dropped.

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly has suggested mandatory mask-wearing could be reintroduced on public transport and in shops as Ireland grapples with a summer wave of Covid-19.

If we can't get through a summer without restrictions, what hope is there at getting through a winter?

Perfect timing to ensure that emergency powers (which are for a six month period at a time) are in force over Christmas, though.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
As I predicted, it looks like Ireland is returning to restrictions, less than four months after mandatory masks were dropped.

If we can't get through a summer without restrictions, what hope is there at getting through a winter?

Perfect timing to ensure that emergency powers (which are for a six month period at a time) are in force over Christmas, though.
I feared this would happen, not specifically Ireland but generally, that countries would find excuses to keep reintroducing restrictions on a whim.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I feared this would happen, not specifically Ireland but generally, that countries would find excuses to keep reintroducing restrictions on a whim.
Well that'll be another place on the list of countries not to visit.
These ministers really should be forced to give scientific reasoning for these measures, totally unacceptable just to reintroduce them. Surely people living in these countries have seen the light now?

danm14

Surely people living in these countries have seen the light now?
Mask wearing in Ireland was consistently over 99% in all indoor settings (even those where it was not mandated) throughout the 20 months when it was continuously mandatory in some settings. Exemptions were not recognised in practice under any circumstance, despite Ireland having what I believe was the world's most wide ranging set of legal exemptions, beyond even the UK.

It is now less than 10% on public transport and close to zero in other non-medical indoor settings, with no noticeable increase despite the current spike.

I'm sure plenty of people will see the need to follow the rules if they are reintroduced, but I am doubtful they will be in a majority - especially if, as at present, the current increase in cases continues to be seen by many as an attempt to distract from the cost of living crisis.

Butts

Veteran Member
Mask wearing in Ireland was consistently over 99% in all indoor settings (even those where it was not mandated) throughout the 20 months when it was continuously mandatory in some settings. Exemptions were not recognised in practice under any circumstance, despite Ireland having what I believe was the world's most wide ranging set of legal exemptions, beyond even the UK.

It is now less than 10% on public transport and close to zero in other non-medical indoor settings, with no noticeable increase despite the current spike.

I'm sure plenty of people will see the need to follow the rules if they are reintroduced, but I am doubtful they will be in a majority - especially if, as at present, the current increase in cases continues to be seen by many as an attempt to distract from the cost of living crisis.

Gazooks, I hope Nicola Sturgeon is not reading these Irish predictions :idea:

berneyarms

Established Member

Well contrary to your predictions, it doesn’t look like anything of the sort.

The Tánaiste Leo Varadkar made it clear yesterday that there are no plans to make mask wearing mandatory on Irish public transport.

the current increase in cases continues to be seen by many as an attempt to distract from the cost of living crisis.
What a load of absolute claptrap.

You’re making it up as you go along here.

Eyersey468

Established Member
There are all sorts of things that COULD happen, doesn't mean they WILL though, that said given how many U turns Boris and his cronies have done if they had said there were no plans to reintroduce them to me thar would mean they will.

danm14

Well contrary to your predictions, it doesn’t look like anything of the sort.

The Tánaiste Leo Varadkar made it clear yesterday that there are no plans to make mask wearing mandatory on Irish public transport.
It has been made crystal clear that there are "no plans" to introduce restrictions in Ireland in the past as little as a day or two before restrictions were introduced.

I will remind you of 22nd October 2021, for example, when all restrictions except those relating to international travel and mask wearing were due to be lifted. Two weeks before it, it was happening for sure. One week before it, we weren't quite where we needed to be and there might have to be a few tweaks. What we actually got in the end was the indefinite continuation of the status quo, with a little window dressing in the form of nightclubs opening and being allowed to sit with ten people in a pub instead of six (which was reversed a month later). At this point, England had returned to normal three months ago and the sky hadn't collapsed.

In any case, what Tánaiste Varadkar stated was more of a "we haven't been told to do it yet, and we won't unless we are, but if we are then we will" than a ruling out.

“I think we will get over this summer wave without the need to impose any new restrictions. But obviously, we'll be guided by public health advice in that regard.”

I am very hopeful that no restrictions will be reintroduced, and it certainly looks a lot less likely than it felt over the past week or two. But to suggest that it definitely won't happen because Leo ruled it out is naïve at best.

What a load of absolute claptrap.

You’re making it up as you go along here.
I assumed it would be clear that I was referring to the response to the current increase in cases being used as a distraction, and not any suggestion that the increase has somehow been engineered as a distraction.

The fact remains that, at least in my part of the country, public opinion seems to be that getting people talking about and fearing Covid again after several months of not is an attempt to distract from more pressing concerns, like how anyone will afford to buy a tank of home heating oil this winter. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the number of people who had religiously complied with previous restrictions (many of whom opposed the lifting of all restrictions earlier this year) who have stated that they will not comply with any reintroduction of restrictions.

berneyarms

Established Member
I must have imagined the first pre-budget meeting yesterday between the Irish government and stakeholders about how to deal with the cost of living crisis in the budget.

Stop trying to muddy the waters.

No one in government has explicitly said that a return to mask wearing was likely.

What they have said, consistently, is that they would be guided by the CMO and didn’t rule anything out.

There is a big difference between not ruling anything out and saying something was likely to happen. Your post on Sunday didn’t seem to grasp that difference.

zero

I crossed between France, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland several times last week and it just feels weird how an arbitrary line on a map causes the proportion of masked people on trains and buses to swivel from 1% to 98%.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What benefit does mask wearing bring when majority of people have had covid?
Mass wearing of flimsy, loose fitting masks benefits no-one, ever.

The wearing of tight-fitting FFP2/3 masks, providing they are correctly worn/handled/stored/replaced, does genuinely reduce the chance of exposure to the wearer.

However we are all going to be exposed to Sars-CoV-2 multiple times in our lifetimes; each time we are exposed, our immune response gets better (and, if we've not yet been exposed to the virus, just the vaccine, then it gets broader too) as we head towards Sars-CoV-2 becoming the 5th endemic human Coronavirus.

If anyone wishes to delay their exposure to Sars-Cov-2, they can choose to wear an effective mask; it makes absolutely no difference to them what other people do as the wearer is protected.

Therefore there is no need to mandate anyone wears a mask; those who distrust vaccines can make that choice for themselves, if they wish.

Cdd89

Established Member
I’ve been in Doha and Bangkok this week.

Doha is very bureaucracy heavy, with Pre-dep PCR required for entry and a mandatory contact tracing application called Ehteraz showing your vaccination and contact-traced status linked to your passport number. The ancient arguments over the NHS app seem rather familiar as it does not use the Apple-Google protocol but rather its own privacy-invading system that drains the battery and cannot contact trace if you force-close the app (so obviously I did that as often as possible..!). Required for entry everywhere, including the Doha metro, hotels and re-entry to the airport. That aside, the place feels fully normal and masks are required almost nowhere. (Theoretically required on public transport, but nobody wears them).

Bangkok on the other hand is incredibly mask-heavy even outdoors (even though nightclubs etc are open); though any old mask seems to be acceptable. The city is clearly suffering from years of closure (it only just reopened without post-arrival testing, and I guess there’s a delay between policy changes and tourists booking travel); and the resort I’m in, while still nice, has closed wings, peeling paint and half its restaurants closed. You also need to have suitable covid-specific health insurance to travel there uploaded via a portal, and my Amex Platinum insurance wasn’t deemed acceptable (with seemingly no contact number to challenge this), so I bought their £16 racket insurance which was accepted instantly (of course).

Depressing that Covid is far from being considered over in so many countries, though incredible to be back in Asia after just over two years.

Enthusiast

Just back from a week in Lefkada, Greece. You would not know there had been a pandemic there. Mask wearing is virtually non-existent. I saw one or two people around with them (in the street!) but I believe they were Brits. No notices anywhere, no 2m lines or any other manifestation of "social distancing." I was warned, with my car hire paperwork, that I would be required to wear a mask in the office when collecting my car. I duly arrived with one hanging from one ear, but there were no notices at the door and I quickly realised that neither the staff nor any of the other customers were masked up, so it went in the bin. Lefkada Town was heaving and it was almost the same as it was the last time I visited in 2019. I expected there to be a few casualties among the bars and restaurants but all seem to have survived as far as I could tell.

Talking to a couple of people whom I know there about their experiences during the pandemic, they explained that when they were locked down, they had to send a text to somewhere to get permission to leave home. They received a text back giving them a 30 minute slot (not of their choosing) during which time they were allowed out. They had to show the text on demand of the police or (what they described as) "civilian officers." I couldn't really get to grips as to who these were but I think they were employed by the local authority. I actually thanked the Good Lord that I lived here and not there during that time because the thought of armies of Town Hall wallahs being given free rein to hassle the public fills me with dread.

Strangely I've had the sniffles and a bit of a sore throat since I returned. I often get some sort of lurgi a few days after flying. Not surprising after being cooped up for three hours with two hundred other people, all breathing the same air. I wonder what it can be? Perhaps I'd better stay in until it goes, just to be on the safe side. You can't be too careful! :D

Don't ask me about Stansted airport (both ways). It's still too raw to discuss. :'(

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Just back from a week in Lefkada, Greece. You would not know there had been a pandemic there. Mask wearing is virtually non-existent. I saw one or two people around with them (in the street!) but I believe they were Brits. No notices anywhere, no 2m lines or any other manifestation of "social distancing." I was warned, with my car hire paperwork, that I would be required to wear a mask in the office when collecting my car. I duly arrived with one hanging from one ear, but there were no notices at the door and I quickly realised that neither the staff nor any of the other customers were masked up, so it went in the bin. Lefkada Town was heaving and it was almost the same as it was the last time I visited in 2019. I expected there to be a few casualties among the bars and restaurants but all seem to have survived as far as I could tell.

Talking to a couple of people whom I know there about their experiences during the pandemic, they explained that when they were locked down, they had to send a text to somewhere to get permission to leave home. They received a text back giving them a 30 minute slot (not of their choosing) during which time they were allowed out. They had to show the text on demand of the police or (what they described as) "civilian officers." I couldn't really get to grips as to who these were but I think they were employed by the local authority. I actually thanked the Good Lord that I lived here and not there during that time because the thought of armies of Town Hall wallahs being given free rein to hassle the public fills me with dread.

Strangely I've had the sniffles and a bit of a sore throat since I returned. I often get some sort of lurgi a few days after flying. Not surprising after being cooped up for three hours with two hundred other people, all breathing the same air. I wonder what it can be? Perhaps I'd better stay in until it goes, just to be on the safe side. You can't be too careful! :D

Don't ask me about Stansted airport (both ways). It's still too raw to discuss. :'(

No Fast Track ? :E

Enthusiast

No Fast Track ? :E
No. There was no availability when I tried to book it, about five weeks prior to my departure. Fortunately I had checked in my luggage the previous evening because on the morning of my departure the luggage handling system had broken down and many people checking in luggage struggled to make their flights. The main problem, though, is that security staffing is totally inadequate.

Upon return I walked about two miles round a queuing "snake" to get through UK border control. When I reached the e-Gates I discovered that my shiny new black passport does not work at those gates and I had to see a human being.

But as I said, I'm not yet ready to speak about it!!! :D:D

Butts

Veteran Member
Used 1st Class Twilight Check in at Heathrow T3 last night for flight to Orlando today - 5 mins tops and BA asked for no Vaccination Certificates, No Attestation Form or anything else - just your passport.

Don't ever get a Taxi from T3 to T4 Heathrow Premier Inn - total rip off £28 in a Black Cab.

Came back to T3 this morning via walkway and Elizabeth Line - Free !!

Fast Track Security 20 mins.....normal 1Hour Plus.

Currently on third Lounge (BA) after Quantas and Cathay Pacific Lounge visits myself and son.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Used 1st Class Twilight Check in at Heathrow T3 last night for flight to Orlando today - 5 mins tops and BA asked for no Vaccination Certificates, No Attestation Form or anything else - just your passport.

Don't ever get a Taxi from T3 to T4 Heathrow Premier Inn - total rip off £28 in a Black Cab.

Came back to T3 this morning via walkway and Elizabeth Line - Free !!

Fast Track Security 20 mins.....normal 1Hour Plus.

Currently on third Lounge (BA) after Quantas and Cathay Pacific Lounge visits myself and son.
We used the night before check in the other week it’s a good idea indeed as was the hotel inside the terminal next to fast track security.

I did the lounge tour their once too, unfortunately the Quantas cocktail man didn’t know his beans!

Enjoy

Butts

Veteran Member
On entering the USA not asked for any documentation apart from Passport - which links to your ESTA ?

No vaccinations or attestation information mentioned.

Had a great seat at the Front of Premium Economy on a BA 777 - only 2 of us on a row of four. The Club World in front of us looked claustrophobic in comparison !!

danm14

The Irish Government are currently planning legislation, which will be introduced later this year, to enable the reintroduction of mandatory mask wearing in future without needing to pass legislation to grant emergency powers to the Health Minister at the time it becomes "necessary".
The Cabinet has heard that some early work is under way on legislation that could make mask-wearing compulsory again in certain settings.

Today's discussions are focused on having the option of reintroducing the regulations, if required, later in the year. One source said it is about having a plan in place and not having to start from scratch next autumn.

Mr Ryan [Minister for Transport] said that the Government felt that before the summer recess it would be appropriate to make sure that it had the necessary legislation in place.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
The Irish Government are currently planning legislation, which will be introduced later this year, to enable the reintroduction of mandatory mask wearing in future without needing to pass legislation to grant emergency powers to the Health Minister at the time it becomes "necessary".

Absolute MADNESS by the Irish government! They need to ditch any thought of "mandatory mask wearing"(!!!!) returning once and for all. The darn things are both absolutely ridiculous and absolutely pointless! Time to move on from all this once and for all! The introduction of mandatory mask wearing in 2020 shouldn't have even been brought in in the first place!

Enthusiast

Jimini

Established Member
They can carry on like that forever for all I care. I have no intention of going there

Agreed, but some of us have to work out there every couple of months or so. There’s nothing so soothing as people in full on hazmat kit boarding your plane prior to departure to check your papers etc. Soul destroying is probably the best way to describe it.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Agreed, but some of us have to work out there every couple of months or so. There’s nothing so soothing as people in full on hazmat kit boarding your plane prior to departure to check your papers etc. Soul destroying is probably the best way to describe it.
Ouch, fair comment.

Citybreak1

Is it true France wants covid passes in restaurants and trains again? I have a trip to Belgium in August but I fear Europe will go lockdown rules again and cancel?

berneyarms

Established Member

Absolute MADNESS by the Irish government! They need to ditch any thought of "mandatory mask wearing"(!!!!) returning once and for all. The darn things are both absolutely ridiculous and absolutely pointless! Time to move on from all this once and for all! The introduction of mandatory mask wearing in 2020 shouldn't have even been brought in in the first place!

I suspect that this sort of regulation would only be introduced on advice from the Irish CMO and the public health team if it appeared that the Irish hospital system was under threat of being overwhelmed by Covid, and it would only be certain settings.

We have a health service in Ireland that just doesn’t have the capacity that many other countries have and it does have a much lower tipping point.

As such if there are measures such as masks that can be taken in that situation, that the CMO judges could help, I suspect that they might do it, but again that depends on the circumstances prevailing at the time.

In the meantime I suspect we will see another vaccination programme rolled out in an effort to avoid having to implement measures like this.

I also suspect that the Irish government will take the CMO advice over a random internet poster.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Is it true France wants covid passes in restaurants and trains again? I have a trip to Belgium in August but I fear Europe will go lockdown rules again and cancel?

I doubt it. Any politician who tried on hardline Covid rules during the peak summer tourist season would not be popular, to put it mildly. I suppose Macron has the advantage that he's only just been re-elected, and thus less vulnerable than most, but I would hope that most politicians would realise by now that most of us are fed up to the back teeth with restrictions and the associated bureaucracy, and just want to live a normal life. It is doubtful that full lockdowns would be tolerated now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.