• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cows on line at Nuneaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
From the BBC News web site:

Nuneaton: Invasion of cows causes train delays​

Nuneaton: Invasion of cows causes train delaysClose

Trains were unable to moo-ve through a station on Friday after cows invaded the railway lines.
The herd was seen trotting through Nuneaton station just before 11:00.
Network Rail halted trains while the animals were safely moved away, and joked: "Please don’t look the udder way if you see any."
Trains resumed their journeys after about an hour and Network Rail said they had spoken to a farmer about not letting his cattle loose on the railway again.
Published23 hours ago
SectionBBC News
SubsectionCoventry & Warwickshire

I imagine this could have been disastrous had it occurred outwith the station environs (i.e. with people around to see and report the issue) - Polmont springs to mind.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
They were trying to catch the milk train.
About fifty years too late! More seriously, I'm surprised this story hasn't popped up here before now - it happened yesterday. Have I over-estimated the potential consequences of a herd of cows loose on the WCML? Were trains stopped immediately, or were trains and cows potentially in conflict? It all seems very low key.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a serious accident in July 1984 near Polmont station in Central Scotland, when a cow on the track somehow derailed an Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street train travelling at some speed.

13 people killed and over 60 injured.

Established Member
Cows also derailed a Liverpool St - Witham service near Hatfield Peverel in the evening peak many years ago. Only one bogie of a 12 car 321 but potentially dangerous. Fortunately it was nearing the end of its journey so few passengers involved on the derailed train.

Steve Harris

Cows also took the brake pipes off a Class 153 on the Newquay branch back in the late 90's.

About 6-10 passengers on board (who detrained and walked forward to St Columb Rd for taxis) none of which were injured. The Scud/Dogbox stayed upright and didn't derail. Unfortunately 1 cow died instantly and the other had to be put down/destroyed.

philosopher

Established Member
I wonder how far this herd of cows had travelled? Looking at Google maps the nearest fields that look like they could be used for grazing are at least a kilometre north of the station.

Ediswan

Established Member
I wonder how far this herd of cows had travelled? Looking at Google maps the nearest fields that look like they could be used for grazing are at least a kilometre north of the station.
Good point. Canal Farm looks like a plausible origin.

ArkUTD

So my sister was involved in this, her train was stuck at Hinckley for 2 hours before they could move them between 10am and 12pm, according to the driver, they had gotten onto the railway between Hinckley and Nuneaton and headed towards the station.

JKF

I hope the legendary phrase ‘bovine incursion’ has been used by station announcers.

Spartacus

Established Member

Padge Hall Farm crossing, about 3 miles towards Hinckley. Young bulls (almost always the biggest pains, if they're in the right mind they'll do what they, or most likely their leader, wants, and there's little you can do to stop them) got spooked, stampeded and broke down the gate (along with knocking down the farmer) before setting off towards Nuneaton. Really, at the reasonable pace they were going they could have gone on for miles more, but they were corralled in the Network Rail depot near Aston Road where their own progress was taking them. They were spotted a good while before they reached the WCML so no real risk there unless one had decided to charge something.....

Dr_Paul

Established Member
There was a thread on this site in 2015 about a South-Eastern EMU that was derailed after hitting a cow. There was quite a bit of damage to the first carriage and to the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.