• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cracked skin on fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone else suffer from this?
My hands take a bit of a hammering at times with their exposure to paint/filler etc. But also having to chop wood up and today plastering part of a room.
Most of this is fine really, but when the weather gets cold my fingers really start to suffer.
I end up with the skin cracking around my nails and it really hurts to touch things.
I’ve tried so many different types of ointment/cream etc but nothing seems to work.
The last stuff I got was something that Norwegian fishermen supposedly use. Well I’m not sure what part of their bodies they use it on but I can’t imagine that it does much good on their actual hands.
Can anyone recommend anything?
Any advice welcome (I’m hoping that some p-way person that has to free frozen points up in the far north of Scotland might know).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have you tried one of the E45 range ? and what gloves are you using ?
I’ve tried normal E45 cream which didn’t work on me.
I don’t tend to wear gloves because I find it difficult with the tools I use. I did have some thin gloves but they weren’t very waterproof and my hands ended up frozen anyway.

fergusjbend

The problem is dehydration and the solution is to apply E45 FREQUENTLY - ie half a dozen times a day at least. Buy a big tub from Boots and keep rubbing it in. Avoid solvents and detergents which will remove oils from your skin. E45 will work, but you need to persevere!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The problem is dehydration and the solution is to apply E45 FREQUENTLY - ie half a dozen times a day at least. Buy a big tub from Boots and keep rubbing it in. Avoid solvents and detergents which will remove oils from your skin. E45 will work, but you need to persevere!
That’s good advice Fergus and I must admit that I’m not always great at keeping hydrated.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m sorry to hear about your hands being sore Mr Cowley.

Could it possibly be an allergic reaction to a soap or something you’ve used at all? My grandma used to have fancy scented bar soap and when I was younger it used to irritate my skin. Perhaps if it continues it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist?

I hope the issue is resolved soon. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m sorry to hear about your hands being sore Mr Cowley.

Could it possibly be an allergic reaction to a soap or something you’ve used at all? My grandma used to have fancy scented bar soap and when I was younger it used to irritate my skin. Perhaps if it continues it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist?

I hope the issue is resolved soon. :)
Soap pah! I laugh in the face of soap... :lol:
Thanks TT. The more I think it though the more I think that it may well be about dehydration like Fergusjbend said - It makes sense because I work hard a lot of the time and in summer I make sure I drink water, yet in winter I just drink tea and coffee (because it’s warm)...
Interestingly though tonight I was whining at Mrs C about it and she told me to rub some of her caster oil on them which I did. Remarkably it seems to have helped.
(Feel like I’m in the Beano now, at least I didn’t have to drink it though)

TheEdge

Established Member
I got some viciously cracked skin on my knuckles and got advice from my one legged mother to whom dealing with sensitive and damaged skin is a day to day issue...

Diprobase cream, its over the counter but behind the counter in pharmacists, ask for that, use, enjoy skin relief better than E45

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I got some viciously cracked skin on my knuckles and got advice from my one legged mother to whom dealing with sensitive and damaged skin is a day to day issue...

Diprobase cream, its over the counter but behind the counter in pharmacists, ask for that, use, enjoy skin relief better than E45
I’ll ask for that then. Thanks

StoneRoad

Ah, I was going to suggest Diprobase as my second choice after E45, I didn't know it was effectively "OTC" ...

I'll second getting a visit to a dermatologist organised - unless your GP has special knowledge in the field.

My winter hand protection routine is E45 (or barrier cream), first latex gloves then cotton liners inside riggers when outside, if inside then the outermost pair will be the thin ones with rubber grip palms and elasticated backs. For painting / filling I stick to the dusted latex ones on their own, replacing as soon as I get a hole. I wash my hands a lot, which may - or may not - help.

As for keeping hydrated, and warm, extra coffee breaks ( alternating with de-caff ) seem to do the trick.

AM9

Veteran Member
... The last stuff I got was something that Norwegian fishermen supposedly use. Well I’m not sure what part of their bodies they use it on but I can’t imagine that it does much good on their actual hands.
Any advice welcome (I’m hoping that some p-way person that has to free frozen points up in the far north of Scotland might know).

In the winter I have dry cracking skin problems, particularly on my knuckles. The most convenient thing for me to carry & use is Neutrogena Hand cream. It's a clear hydrating ointment that is convenient to rub into the skin whenever it feels dry and tight. There's even a fast absorbing version which is handy if you can't wait 5 minutes for it to soak in. Even in the bitter winds last week, once a day was enough for me.
It's from Norway but I'm not sure that fishermen use it. Of course if you have any dermatological issues, it may be better to consult a doctor rather than self-prescribe anything.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In the winter I have dry cracking skin problems, particularly on my knuckles. The most convenient thing for me to carry & use is Neutrogena Hand cream. It's a clear hydrating ointment that is convenient to rub into the skin whenever it feels dry and tight. There's even a fast absorbing version which is handy if you can't wait 5 minutes for it to soak in. Even in the bitter winds last week, once a day was enough for me.
It's from Norway but I'm not sure that fishermen use it. Of course if you have any dermatological issues, it may be better to consult a doctor rather than self-prescribe anything.
I’ve got some of that AM9. It’s definitely more of a problem when the weather gets below a certain point. I think I’m going to try the stuff TheEdge suggested.
The weather is starting to warm up soon hopefully and that makes a big difference.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I had this problem with my hands a number of years ago; I don't do any real manual labout or anything.

E45 cream eased it slightly, but didn't get rid of it.

The solution was switching to a non-biological washing powder for my clothes and bedding, not the cheap value rubbish I was using.

xc170

Beat me to it, my 18 month old son had a bit of dry skin so the doctors gave us a 1L container of diprobase cream, I've started using it myself, it's much more effective than E45 IMO.

tony_mac

Established Member
I've always just used vaseline. It comes off quite easily so needs to be applied frequently.

Senex

Established Member
Can I suggest you see a doctor, if you have not done so already?
Having over the course of fifty years tried a whole range of medics and got no help from any of them, I think it seems there's nothing that can be done. Cold weather = cracking skin, and that's that. No problem at all through the summer, but come the late autumn .... I've tried Diprobase, Nowegian fishermen's stuff, Vaseline ... all to no significant effect. Covering the cracks with Germolene NuSkin at least helps make them somewhat less painful.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
If you're working with paints, solvents and the like you really must wear gloves. Dermatitis can become a very serious problem that in time won't get better.
I work in the chemical industry and they take it very seriously. Gloves are non-negotiable.
E45 cream is good to restore lost oils from the skin.
As one guy kept saying when I was on a refresher course recently, "Look after yourself!" :smile:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you're working with paints, solvents and the like you really must wear gloves. Dermatitis can become a very serious problem that in time won't get better.
I work in the chemical industry and they take it very seriously. Gloves are non-negotiable.
E45 cream is good to restore lost oils from the skin.
As one guy kept saying when I was on a refresher course recently, "Look after yourself!" :smile:
You are right of course and I’m not always the best at looking after myself.
I went to the doctors two weeks ago (not about my hands because they were ok then, it was actually about a trapped nerve), I realised that I hadn’t seen a doctor for about ten years.
I’ve got Monday off so I’m going to use some of the above advice (thanks all) and get it sorted.
They’ve got a bit better since yesterday because the weather has warmed up, but I need to get it sorted out anyway and get some decent gloves.
I could sand down filler without using any sandpaper at the moment...

AndrewE

Established Member
My training tells me that (besides the obvious solvents in paint thinners and brush cleaners - and swarfega) the lime alkalinity of mortar and plaster will also take the fats out of your skin, leading to cracking.
There is also the problem of allergic dermatitis, and I find that liquid "soaps," especially red ones for some reason, are the worst for my hands. They have a water softener in them called NTA, sometimes EDTA, and they are well-recognised skin sensitisers. I avoid them like the plague.

PeterY

Established Member
I get the same problem with cracked skin especially around my thumb nails at this time of year. Yes they can become quite sore. I work outside which doesn't help but I try to wear gloves. Roll round spring

Dave stoke

Got that recently myself and after years of trying found something that really does work !

CarlSilva

Bodyfiller is a real culprit for drying your skin out. Apart from how absorbent it is, the chemicals (harderner etc) are an irritant. Sanding dust also very bad. I find it gets worse the more you have to wash your hands, becasue the natural oils get depleted and then you have to scrub more and more, so it's a vicoius cirle. A guy a mate used to work with used barrier cream that dried a bit like soap, and then put disposable latex gloves on. I know you siad it mades it harder to for teh tools, but you need to be careful or you could develope an allergy. Also, the E45 creams is a good suggestion and it's alright, but it can reduce your own bodys' ability to produce oil, similar to how if you wash your hair too often, it gets dry becaous the scalp cann't produce oils quck enough.

MG11

Does anyone else suffer from this?
My hands take a bit of a hammering at times with their exposure to paint/filler etc. But also having to chop wood up and today plastering part of a room.
Most of this is fine really, but when the weather gets cold my fingers really start to suffer.
I end up with the skin cracking around my nails and it really hurts to touch things.
I’ve tried so many different types of ointment/cream etc but nothing seems to work.
The last stuff I got was something that Norwegian fishermen supposedly use. Well I’m not sure what part of their bodies they use it on but I can’t imagine that it does much good on their actual hands.
Some soaps can aggravate skin conditions. Try to switch to a milder soap i.e. Dove 1/4 moisturiser. Also, there is an all body moisturiser called Oil Of Aloe, it has worked wonders on my skin, I do a lot of cooking, so am constantly washing my hands and I found them becoming dry and cracked. It's made a big difference.

whhistle

On Moderation
I've always just used vaseline. It comes off quite easily so needs to be applied frequently.
I saw something similar on a TV programme once; especially useful for cracked heels and feet.
Rub it around your feet just before bed, then put socks on. In the morning, my feet were a little softer than usual.

Committee man

Hi I have the same problem when it cold
And I use o’keeffe’s working hands

Yes I to have this problem but only in recent years (Winter time) as I've got older and yes I have found that 'O'Keeffs working hands' is great and use it two or three times a week. By far the best thing I've found and would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.