• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crash damaged 67's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
I remember a few years ago there was a 67 involved in a collision with another freight train, i believe this was near bristol, but cant be sure, i had a look on the net and could not find anything about the incident, what happened to the loco, is it still in bristol at a depot or has it been parted out for the rest off the class,any info, or pictures would be good thanx, also was there another crash damaged 67 or am i wrong?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
I remember a few years ago there was a 67 involved in a collision with another freight train, i believe this was near bristol, but cant be sure, i had a look on the net and could not find anything about the incident, what happened to the loco, is it still in bristol at a depot or has it been parted out for the rest off the class,any info, or pictures would be good thanx, also was there another crash damaged 67 or am i wrong?.

670XX +Mail +67 IIRC went in to the back of a coal train, with the front 67 going straght in to Lawrecnce Hill Station road bridge

westcoaster

Established Member
thought it was in the bristol area does any one have any pics or know where to find some, is there a class 67 dedicated web site?

westcoaster

Established Member
thanks so it was 67002 any one know the other loco, what caused the accident was it mechanical failure or human error.

westcoaster

Established Member
Do you know where i can find any more info wes there a report published? or any news archive sites i could use many thanx 4 the help so far.

LucaZone

I was looking through some Railway Magazine issues the other day and saw this accident.

The 67 was sitting ontop of a HAA wagon, with the front cab squashed against a bridge. I think both bogies were ripped off in the collision.

Established Member
SPAD IIRC

Didn't think so myself. Thought it was a brake fault.
Thought the vans (top/tail 67s) wasn't through braked correctly (or some brake farce), therefore running away down Filton bank and ending up hitting the back the MGR.

67002 returned a few years ago - was at least out when the VXC "Holidaymaker" jobs were running

TheSlash

Established Member
I think the crash happened a day after Ladbrook Grove and was the result of a SPAD {although technical failure might of led to the SPAD}. Wasn't there a 3rd big crash around then aswell :?:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Not sure.
Southy, taking that long for crash damage repairs? Not likely, it's been out for over a few years if I remember correctly.

67002 was involved yes, it was named Special Delivery only 4 months previous at Old Oak 2000, which I had attended :)

the sapper

67002 was the leading loco that ran into the rear of the coal train, the reason behind the accident was that it was a topntail movement to barton hill from parkway and the driver at the front had his brake pipe control isolated (in error) so could not applly his brakes in the normal manner.
this only left him with the emergency plunger which he never thought about, so there was no chance of him stopping at the red signal although he did apply the loco brake (straight air) therefore the train ran into the rear of the proceeding train which at the time was moving although not very fast.:coffee:

westcoaster

Established Member
thanks for your help getting some pictures Jordy, and thanks for the reason the incident happened The sapper, its just one of those things i suppose, i wonder why the brakes were not checked, thought they had to prep the train, and not take it straight out, btw good job getting 67002 back to normal looks quiet bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.