Crazy Enthusasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Established Member
Whats the crazyiest thing rail related you have done?

Mine was:

I was on a Norh East Rover, got up at 7am to get the 0833 Kirk Sandall-Doncaster giving me plenty of time at Doncaster to catch the 0917 or something to Newcastle. I changed there and went to Carlisle.

Met the possie:6M60 Seaton Flasks
20's till I die
Sheddy (these were here when I arrived)

Its about midday I jumpe of my 142 and sprinted and got a shot of the DRS 37s on Sandite.

The group got larger and was persuded to stay the night by 6M60

I called my Dad to let him no. Stopped up all night from midday Friday till 9am Friday.

Got on my 156 back to geordie land and umped on a GNer MK4 set to Donny.

Got in my house at about 3pm. Had half an hours kip then I was at work till 10 pm.

I was Knackered!! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess the Carlisle overnighter was the craziest thing, for me I did a London meet (ending with very rare Class 57 haulage on FGW Link!), before getting the Highlands sleeper to Carlisle (not a booked calling point!) arriving 02:00 to find you lot photting a 37, and then staying there for the night.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Well for me I guess http://www.jandmlphotos.co.uk/RecentPics/Aug2005/27/index.asp (and I do live in Reading!) was a pretty action packed day getting the 06:30 in the morning and not getting back until midnight but for some main line 37 haulage from Shrewsbury to Crewe it sure was worth it. At the time I thought it could be a last time but I managed to do 425 back to Shrewsbury from Crewe after the open day.

Also back in 2004 I had another action packed day it went:
Reading-BNS (Voyager)
BNS-Crewe (plastic of some sort!)
Crewe-Stafford (XC 67)
Stafford-Manchester (WC 87)
Manchester-Warrington (more plastic I think!)
Warrington-Wigan (XC 67)
Wigan-Warrington (AWFUL PLASTIC!)
Warrington-Crewe (AWFUL PLASTIC!)
Crewe-back to Reading (somehow!)

and by the way AWFUL PLASTIC is a pendo!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crazy...umm, difficult to pinpoint one thing...The London weekend I did in December 2005 was crazily busy and excellent, but I think doing a disused line by means other than haulage...

joy54.gen

Mine was the same as James, as soon as we got that text from Yorkie we were off that train like a shot. It was a great desicion and we got a very rare working to Aberdeen. Great.

Craig

Established Member
Maybe not the craziest, but certainly the longest without a proper nights sleep was my trip to Glasgow (via London) for the last 303 run.

Newcastle - Carlisle (Unit)
Carlisle - Preston via S&C (57)
Preston - Crewe (87)
Crewe - BNS (HST)
BNS - Paddington (Voyager)

Had a few hours in London.

Euston - Glasgow Central (90)
Queen Street - Drumgelloch (320)
Drumgelloch - Bellgrove (320)
Bellgrove - Helensburgh (303 last run)
Helensburgh - Dalmuir (303 ECS)
Dalmuir - Motherwell (334)
Motherwell - Newcastle (91)

I also did the overnight XC services a few times to Paignton and Newquay.

Finally, while the sandites were running in 2004 I was often up at 0530 to catch the 0624 train from Newcastle to get this shot :shock:

Jim

Established Member
I have done lots of 'Stupid' , 'pointless' trips...

Craziest has got to be my heart of Wales line trip, as I spent 5 hours sat on a skateboard

eezypeazy

Depends on your definition of "crazy..."

Last train service Alston - Haltwhistle, mid-1970s

First Metro service Longbenton - Four Lane Ends, 1980

A May Bank Holiday two years ago: Metrocentre - Hexham (142); bus Hexham - Bellingham; cycle Bellingham-Otterburn-Rothbury-Whittingham-Christon Bank (pub) Chathill; train Chathill-MetroCentre (156).

Once or twice a year, I do Home - Central Station (cycle); 0605 Necastle - Chathill (usually 142); cycle Chathill - Home (64 miles). And once or twice a year, I try to do 0715 ish Newcastle - Northallerton (158); cycle Northallerton - Stokesley-Battersby-Eskdale - as far as I can (pub); then a lunchtime train from Glaisdale to Middlesbrough (stock varies); Middlesbrough-MetroCentre (142).

Strangely, I never bump in to forum members...!!!

eezypeazy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Craig said:
Maybe not the craziest, but certainly the longest without a proper nights sleep was my trip to Glasgow (via London) for the last 303 run.

Newcastle - Carlisle (Unit)
Carlisle - Preston via S&C (57)
Preston - Crewe (87)
Crewe - BNS (HST)
BNS - Paddington (Voyager)

Had a few hours in London.

Euston - Glasgow Central (90)
Queen Street - Drumgelloch (320)
Drumgelloch - Bellgrove (320)
Bellgrove - Helensburgh (303 last run)
Helensburgh - Dalmuir (303 ECS)
Dalmuir - Motherwell (334)
Motherwell - Newcastle (91)

I also did the overnight XC services a few times to Paignton and Newquay.

Finally, while the sandites were running in 2004 I was often up at 0530 to catch the 0624 train from Newcastle to get this shot :shock:
You lucky bugger...All that loco haulage...

Overnight XC services, didn't they finish over a decade ago?

Onto the subject of crazy things, if you count implusive decisions, I have to say mine has to be randomly deciding to get the 0200 off Taunton once to Paddington instead of a HST at 10xx, following a phone call to FGW confirming I didn't need a reservation or special ticket to just sit in the seated part. Cue a celebration, rush-packing stuff for the next day, including my Pizza Hut cap (for easy ID for another member meeting me at Clapham Junction), getting the last bus (which I nearly missed actually!) to Taunton from Minehead, a sleepless night (you'd think I'd be tired after a day's work too, but hey), overnight spotting resulting in no freight sightings, followed by 57602 to Paddington.

Another implusive thing I guess could be rushing to get the 0545 (or was it 0555?) 28 off Minehead Butlins to Taunton, with a quick run into the ticket office to buy a Y-P SVR to Crewe and a run to platform 5 for the then 0704 to Paddington, via the Weston-super-Mare loop (H-O!), BTM and Paddington. Was surprisingly packed from WSM and BTM! Getting this had turned out to be a good idea, as an incident further south caused heavy delays to the Voyagers we planned to get that day! The best bit came later when randomly deciding to buy a Crewe to Holyhead Y-P SSR though, purely to bash 47810 and H-O the route to Holyhead. What a trip...

Craig

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Overnight XC services, didn't they finish over a decade ago?
They from from the North West until a couple of years ago.

Here's a photo from one of my trips down that way. 47812 departing Torquay at 0645 with the 2330 Manchester - Paignton on 20th July 2002:

crazyest thing i used to do was to go down to the west country and sit on a train all day going back and forth on one of the branches -well it was my beast"117305" :D and was lucky enought once to have her on the newquay line in the pouring rain :D

steve158

getting up at 4am to do the newcastle-chathill service. and coming straight back.

buying a ticket from wrexham general to wrexham central just because of the ridiculously cheap price. the booking clerk must have thought i was mad.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
The craziest thing I've ever done is getting up at 03:00 in the morning, going straight down to Swanwick Junction on the MR-B, stand doing nowt in 6233's support coach for an hour, going to Scarborough and back with 6233 and sit in the West Shed mess room eating a beef dinner at 00:00 the next morning and not going to sleep again until 01:00, in the support coach! AND I didn't get any rest throughout the day. :shock:

I was knackered by the time I finally got to sleep!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
steve158 said:
getting up at 4am to do the newcastle-chathill service. and coming straight back.

buying a ticket from wrexham general to wrexham central just because of the ridiculously cheap price. the booking clerk must have thought i was mad.
How much was that ticket then, just out of curiousity?

steve158

FGWFan said:
steve158 said:

How much was that ticket then, just out of curiousity?
10p priv single(40p normally)

My longest oddest and most tiring was when I needed to get to Dalmally with my mum.

set off at 7AM caught a load of locals from leeds, eventually arriving in Newcastle, catching a GNER to Glasgow central, missing our link to Dalmally by exactly 36 seconds (!!) so had a fight with a GNER scots sales assitant , took us 15 minutes to decipher what he was saying.

he ordered us a taxi and paid for it. it took us to damally station. we walked the rest of the way.

arrived there at 1.00AM

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DescendingSadly said:
My longest oddest and most tiring was when I needed to get to Dalmally with my mum.

set off at 7AM caught a load of locals from leeds, eventually arriving in Newcastle, catching a GNER to Glasgow central, missing our link to Dalmally by exactly 36 seconds (!!) so had a fight with a GNER scots sales assitant , took us 15 minutes to decipher what he was saying.

he ordered us a taxi and paid for it. it took us to damally station. we walked the rest of the way.

arrived there at 1.00AM
A few things I am confused with:

1. Oban trains go from Queen St, not Central
2. How do you know it was 36 seconds? (there may be an obvious answer I'm overlooking but I can't think of one at the moment)
3. Was the 0710 Leeds-Aberdeen cancelled or something?

ChrisM

Once convinced a mate to drive me from Bournemouth to photo the Epsom Downs branch but got there at 4 am,too dark and no trains. :x

Ascot

Established Member
Craziest thing i have ever done is probably: Roll down a window not far enough (point where it swings back up) and ended up bashing me chin on it. Guard then p**$ing himself.

Sprog

Established Member
Practically all my trips have been either insanely long :!: or close calls - tight connections :shock: (it no chance of getting home if i missed them) etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.