• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crb check London midland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thecleaner

Hi I work for London midland I have been working trough a agency for over 6 months but now I have been offered a contract . I am worried as I have not got a good crb I am on a drink drive ban at moment and had common assault charge in last 5 years . And a few other arrests for minor things . Can someone advise me will that affect my job ? As I am just a cleaner

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Did the application forms ask for previous convictions, if so, did you declare all relevant information?

You say "just a cleaner", but if your problems were theft related for example then there may be trust issues as you'd be coming across lost property which you'd be expected to hand in.

The railway is also strict when it comes to Drugs and Alcohol, so any potential issues need to be declared.

If you've been honest then you should be fine, however failure to disclose could put your job at risk.

Thecleaner

Can anyone help me and give me advise as when I was approached by the agency I was not asked if I had criminal record . i was approached by the agency for the vacancy as I had my cv online looking for a job . And was in the job within a week I have worked hard and showed them I am capable for the job and now Iv been offered a contract but the crb has got me worried . I have not been in trouble with police for over 2 years now . As I have got my life together since having a kid

craigy68

I can't comment on any CRB checks ... however

You are not 'just a cleaner' mate, you a doing a very valuable job and just as important as other roles on the railways ... Nobody is perfect and we have all made mistakes ... you sound like somebody who is doing their best to turn their life around and make a future !! I really hope the outcome is a positive one and good luck for the future mate.

Thecleaner

I have found items on trains and have always handed them in to manager . I have got a fraud deception charge on my crb but that was over ten years ago I got forced to do it wich the judge understood and gave me a light sentence of a fine . I do not drink no more never have taken drugs . I did declare some of the offences as others I couldn't remember when as they were over 10 years ago I can't even remember how much fine I got . I'm still waiting for them to get back to me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hope they understand and give me a chance Thanks for the replys

Clip

Established Member
Have they told you that they will do a CRB check on you? did they ask you for any convictions that are not spent on your application form with LM? or are you just doing a straight transfer over from agency to LM?

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I don't think that they are allowed to carry out a DBS check on you. However, you will be subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, so must declare any offences as required by that. Info here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/519060/Guide_to_eligibility_v8.1.pdf

Rather than asking on here, can I suggest that you contact your local probation service for advice?
They will deal with this situation all the time.
Good luck. Hope you get this sorted out.

CatfordCat

I can't speak for the railways, but have had some involvement in this (taxi licensing) sort of thing

I would not have thought that this job would be a full scale DBS check, so any convictions that are legally 'spent' would not be relevant. Full scale DBS (including spent convictions) can only be put through where the job is particularly sensitive (mainly jobs involving working closely with children and / or vulnerable adults - think there are a few others) - an employer can't do full DBS on anyone or everyone just because they feel like it.

A full DBS can include information about arrests (and then only where someone's had a few arrests for sexual offences - now's not the place to argue the merits of this, but look up the Soham murders case)

But I am fairly sure that a basic disclosure (which is what I assume is going to be relevant here) does not include anything other than convictions - an arrest or charge that didn't end up with a guilty verdict won't show up.

This page (NACRO) is another that has more about spent convictions - how soon an offence becomes spent is on a sliding scale based on what the sentence was, rather than what offence it was. (May be worth talking to NACRO as well)

Apart from jobs involving access to children etc and people who have got a record in that sort of direction, DBS's role is not to say to an employer "no, you can not employ this person" - they will provide the relevant info and it's up to the (potential) employer to make a decision.

Some organisations will be reluctant to take what they see as a risk in employing anyone with any sort of 'record'.

Larger organisations should have a policy, and will make decisions case by case. All I can find on LM is this page - includes " If you have any concerns in this area we do ask you to make us aware during the application process so that we can undertake a fair review"

If you've so far not been asked to declare, I can see the difficulty in that you might not want to rock the boat and risk losing the agency work as well.

What I would say is that if you do go through with the application, and you're asked to declare (within the realms of unspent convictions) then best approach is to tell the truth.

Employers who may be prepared to give someone a chance (possibly after a chat in which they may be looking for you to explain how you've reformed and so on) tend to be less understanding if they think someone has lied to them - it can even lead to being sacked after you've started if they find out later that something in your job application was untrue.

OpsWeb

The railways only carry out a "basic" disclosure which only lists unspent convictions. If you have been convicted of somethings and served your "punishment", then in most cases the conviction is considered spent.

I had a run in with the law when I was younger, which resulted in a minor conviction - which did not show up on my disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.