• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creating a scenario and which add-on to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Morning folks :)

Couple of questions really...

1) Is it just me or are scenarios seriously tough to create? Tried to create just a simple, standard, pick up a few passengers here and there scenario but all that I achieved was to make a consist and make it driveable. I was using the refernce manual to help but it didn't really make it much easier (Manual here - http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Reference+Manual )

Guess I'll just have to buy scenario packs like those from JT

and 2) Looking to get a new add-on -which would you guys recommend?
I'm currently mulling over Bristol to Avonmouth (JT), Settle & Carlisle (RSC), Portsmouth Direct (RSC) and London to Brighton (RSC).

I know the first one isn't out yet, but could anyone who has got the other scenarios share their view on them? I'm likely only to get the one, but I'm not sure which so other people's experiences may help to make up my mind.

Cheers in advance :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Scenario creation isn't all that hard, it is more a case of getting used to the basics. Once you have that cracked, it all becomes second nature. Lets face it, if it was very difficult then there wouldn't be well over 1000 scenarios now available across the interweb.

There are some tutorials out there now which are much more extensive than the original ones from the wiki. One such one is here, done by the proprietor of IronHorseHouse.

[youtube]Bb1b7YdZuCA[/youtube]

CC 72100

Established Member
Scenario creation isn't all that hard, it is more a case of getting used to the basics. Once you have that cracked, it all becomes second nature. Lets face it, if it was very difficult then there wouldn't be well over 1000 scenarios now available across the interweb.

There are some tutorials out there now which are much more extensive than the original ones from the wiki. One such one is here, done by the proprietor of IronHorseHouse.

[youtube]Bb1b7YdZuCA[/youtube]

That was really useful, thanks for sharing. I'll give it another go at some point, preferably with that video on one PC and railworks beside it on the other.

In the meantime, would anyone recommend any of the add-ons in my first post?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Haven't got Settle & Carlisle or Bristol & Avonmouth, but I think to make the most of the Portsmouth Direct line add-on you really need to get the 421 and 455 add-ons. The London to Brighton add-on is not without it's issues, but I'd put that ahead of the Portsmouth line. That said, I did spend my first 8 working years on the Thameslink line, including one attempting to become a driver.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've got PDL and S&C and out of the two I prefer the S&C it works better 'out of the box' in that I've not bought any add-ons and it's got plenty to keep me interested.

GNERman

Established Member
I have PDL and S&C.

To make most of PDL you need 444 as well, and possibly BML for Class 377.

S&C is good, but frustrating as only 60mph. BUT you do get EWS 66 and 37, NR 158, Jubilee and 4F.

I can't say which stock I use the most. Possibly either 66 or Voyager. For older stuff, DT wagon pack is useful...

CC 72100

Established Member
Cheers for the input on this one guys :)

The 158 was an add-on that I was considering getting anyway, as I wanted to use it in some of my own scenarios (yes, I can create them now with AI traffic and all)

Just out of interest, how good does your PC have to be for WCML North? I originally ruled it out, having heard how it requires a high-spec machine, but would be interested to hear others' experiences.

Retorus

Cheers for the input on this one guys :)

The 158 was an add-on that I was considering getting anyway, as I wanted to use it in some of my own scenarios (yes, I can create them now with AI traffic and all)

Just out of interest, how good does your PC have to be for WCML North? I originally ruled it out, having heard how it requires a high-spec machine, but would be interested to hear others' experiences.

It's not that bad, I got my PC in 2009 and it can run WCML North just fine, just be conservative with your settings if you're worried about it and it'll run perfectly well. It's only really Glasgow Central and maybe Motherwell that can slow stuff down anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.