• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was about to comment on the knowledge of MK as Bletchley is by far the closest station to MK stadium...

Did you look at a map? Fenny is very, very slightly closer. (Fenny is 0.9 miles on foot, Bletchley is 1.4). Part of the issue is that the entrance is on the wrong side.

Of course Bletchley's hugely superior service (if you're not going to/from a Marston Vale destination) tips it :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Did you look at a map? Fenny is very, very slightly closer. (Fenny is 0.9 miles on foot, Bletchley is 1.4). Part of the issue is that the entrance is on the wrong side.

Of course Bletchley's hugely superior service (if you're not going to/from a Marston Vale destination) tips it :)

I was thinking more MKC vs Bletchley than Fenny to be fair as the post had been suggesting extending the Marston Vale services to MKC would be a benefit for those heading to MK Stadium, which is clearly nonsense.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was thinking more MKC vs Bletchley than Fenny to be fair as the post had been suggesting extending the Marston Vale services to MKC would be a benefit for those heading to MK Stadium, which is clearly nonsense.

Ah. I thought the suggestion there was not the Stadium but other commuters. Loadings would definitely increase if it served MKC, I don't think there is any doubt at all about that - and at one point it was going to.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t regard 230’s as being suitable for the far North

based on what?

I was about to comment on the knowledge of MK as Bletchley is by far the closest station to MK stadium...

no it ain't ;)

to put things in perspective..for revenue...lets say MK don's get lucky and draw liverpool in the FA cup.....marston vale(with the right connections to MK stadium) COULD earn as much on that day as an entire month with the present set-up.

the train is already busy on match days, especially with away fans. The pubs in fenny do a good trade.

I have no idea about the 150’s mind.

I have gps'd the route and thanks to the stop start nature the 150 hits 60 once or twice. The 153's don't. OF COURSE that is entirely unscientific before anyone starts!

extending the Marston Vale services to MKC would be a benefit for those heading to MK Stadium, which is clearly nonsense.

you would be surprised at the numbers who get off at MKC looking for the ground!

Ah. I thought the suggestion there was not the Stadium but other commuters. Loadings would definitely increase if it served MKC, I don't think there is any doubt at all about that - and at one point it was going to.

SIGH. I think we got close at one point but that opportunity has slipped away.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
you would be surprised at the numbers who get off at MKC looking for the ground!

To be fair there is a not unreasonable walking route from CMK - basically straight down the Redway which runs along Grafton St, though at night the underpasses at the A5 roundabout would feel quite scary - but it would take somewhere around an hour to walk it.

Anyway, back on topic to 230s and the Far North - I don't see why they wouldn't be suitable, after all they are just a tube with seats in. Pick the right seats and I can't see an issue.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
To be fair there is a not unreasonable walking route from CMK - basically straight down the Redway which runs along Grafton St, though at night the underpasses at the A5 roundabout would feel quite scary - but it would take somewhere around an hour to walk it.

and no pubs! ;)

Class37.4

Anyway, back on topic to 230s and the Far North - I don't see why they wouldn't be suitable, after all they are just a tube with seats in. Pick the right seats and I can't see an issue.
As I have said before these trains seem to be more suited to shorter distance services.

I'm sure far north uses would be pleased to swap the 158 for one of these. To make them suited to such a journey you would loking at the most expensive options for interior refits and possibly air cooling, by the time you've done all that maybe buy a 195 instead which a better longer distance train.

I believe some of the northern sections of the line have 90mph speed limits with 75mph on the lower sections. The journey takes long enough as it is.

HLE

Established Member
I meant hitting 75mph between MK and Bletchley in response to the question about extending the shuttle to MK. A 150/153 in real terms is no improvement on a 230, if it were to happen, despite the higher top speed.

Clip

Established Member
I'm sure far north uses would be pleased to swap the 158 for one of these. To make them suited to such a journey you would loking at the most expensive options for interior refits and possibly air cooling, by the time you've done all that maybe buy a 195 instead which a better longer distance train.

Why would it have to be the most expensive of interior fit outs for them? Granted longitudinal seating would suit because people want to look at things but all that can be changed - air cooling of what ? The interior? I believe thats what they are doing for the ones on the Marston vale line anyway so i dont understand.

And how long would a 195 take to build for them?

Fincra5

Established Member
Probably been answered.. but why are is there a Bright Light on the side?

sw1ller

Established Member
Its in a lot of Videos and Pictures. So I'm not sure.

You’re correct. It’s in this video very clearly. It’s like an opposite orange hazard light. It goes out once the unit has stopped in this video. Very strange.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Probably been answered.. but why are is there a Bright Light on the side?
Isn't that just a reflection of a light over the platform the photographer (who may or may not be DarloRich) is standing on?

Alot of the light is reflection from the train in the platform behind me but on checking my video (that I can't seem to upload) there is one white light over the last window

Fincra5

Established Member
You’re correct. It’s in this video very clearly. It’s like an opposite orange hazard light. It goes out once the unit has stopped in this video. Very strange.

Yeah its odd. I'm used to BIL/ Orange Hazard Lights.. So can't quite get what this one is! :D

Domh245

Established Member
As per this post on District Dave's forum:

Steady orange indicates that a door or doors in that car are not shut.
Steady white indicates that a PEA or PEAs in that car have been activated.
Flashing orange indicates that a door or doors in that car have had a sensitive edge activation.
Flashing white will indicate that the train has received a target point and is ready to depart (performing the same function as the 'ready to depart indicators' [RTDIs] on the Jubilee and Northern lines), once ATC is rolled out.

There are also blue lights to show when the deicing equipment has been activated.

Class37.4

Why would it have to be the most expensive of interior fit outs for them? Granted longitudinal seating would suit because people want to look at things but all that can be changed - air cooling of what ? The interior? I believe thats what they are doing for the ones on the Marston vale line anyway so i dont understand.

And how long would a 195 take to build for them?

If Scotrail do need extra capacity using these trains there are shorter routes they can be used on I believe an Anniesland has been suggested. Well ignoring the fact they cannot run at max line sped of the far north line, to make them suitable for a 4 hour journey you would need to rip out all the current seats and a complete new interior that pushes up the cost considerably, Isnt there also a scenic route remit on this route? possibly add Air Cooling to at least give something approving the quality of the trains you are removing, Air Cooling being a cheaper and simpler form of Air Con which cools but doesn’t de humidify. I believe Vivarail have said they can add that but I don’t think it’s being used on the WM units.

To me it’s a totally nonsense argument, use them on short runs with frequent stops and potentially keep some of the existing seating, in other words something more Metro which is what they were designed for.

Last edited:

Chris217

Many thanks for that list.

My last one for haulage to clear
was 7036,but didn't get it in time!

Maybe this one might be converted
eventually if it hasn't been scrapped yet.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It’s like an opposite orange hazard light. It goes out once the unit has stopped in this video.

I'd say that's a good thing because the hazard lights on most stock, which come on when the doors are cut in, are not fail safe. Having a light that is out to indicate a hazard is fail safe.

causton

Established Member
I'd say that's a good thing because the hazard lights on most stock, which come on when the doors are cut in, are not fail safe.

Which is why that is not the decision maker on determining whether the doors are currenly released/open or not - it is the interlock light which illuminates when closed, which is fail safe, so I don't think that's too big of an issue.

reddragon

Established Member

samuelmorris

Established Member
Which is why that is not the decision maker on determining whether the doors are currenly released/open or not - it is the interlock light which illuminates when closed, which is fail safe, so I don't think that's too big of an issue.
I saw it as a means of identifying which door was stuck open if there was no interlock, not a judgement that all doors were closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.