• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
In essence the battery/diesel hybrid will operate like a Prius. Battery for city/station operation with the diesels functioning as a "range extender".
I don't think that comparison is quite correct. The Prius comes in two forms, a conventional hybrid which charges only from the petrol engine or regenerative braking, and a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) which can be charged from the mains as well, and has a longer electric range. Both use mechanical transmission to drive the wheels when the petrol engine is in use (a CVT - continuously variable transmission - for the Prius). Most other hybrids work the same way, though mostly with other forms of gearbox.

"Range extender" is usually taken to mean a car that is always driven by its electric motors, though they may be being powered by the engine and generator as well as, or instead of, the battery. I think only two have been sold in Britain, the discontinued Vauxhall Ampera (aka Chevrolet Volt) and the BMW I3, though there might have been others that I've missed. So those are really the only ones that work the same way as the 230s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"Range extender" is usually taken to mean a car that is always driven by its electric motors, though they may be being powered by the engine and generator as well as, or instead of, the battery. I think only two have been sold in Britain, the discontinued Vauxhall Ampera (aka Chevrolet Volt) and the BMW I3, though there might have been others that I've missed. So those are really the only ones that work the same way as the 230s.

Another term used there is a "series hybrid". Most full hybrids on the market are "parallel hybrids", i.e. both the electric motor and the ICE are connected to the wheels.

Billy A

I don't think that comparison is quite correct. The Prius comes in two forms, a conventional hybrid which charges only from the petrol engine or regenerative braking, and a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) which can be charged from the mains as well, and has a longer electric range. Both use mechanical transmission to drive the wheels when the petrol engine is in use (a CVT - continuously variable transmission - for the Prius). Most other hybrids work the same way, though mostly with other forms of gearbox.

Note though that the Volt wasn't just electrically driven: at higher speed the engine drove the wheels directly in the interests of greater efficiency. It did this in the first model by being clutched to the motor, the second generation works somewhat differently but the outcome is still part mechanical drive.

Neen Sollars

You Tuber - Smile video at Bletchley yesterday spoke to a guard who said the 230 has a problem with its cruise control and hence the delay into service. Does a cruise control problem sound credible to those in the engineering know?

sw1ller

Established Member
Granted the trains I drive are old, but cruse control doesn’t sound like a thing ASLEF would be keen on. The speed hold button is disabled in 175’s because of this. (However, one does work)

craigybagel

Established Member
You Tuber - Smile video at Bletchley yesterday spoke to a guard who said the 230 has a problem with its cruise control and hence the delay into service. Does a cruise control problem sound credible to those in the engineering know?

Sounds rather odd. The stations are so close together it's not like cruise control is going to get used very much - and most of the UK fleet copes ok without it!

Granted the trains I drive are old, but cruse control doesn’t sound like a thing ASLEF would be keen on. The speed hold button is disabled in 175’s because of this. (However, one does work)

It used to be used on 390s at Virgin regularly - although I believe lately that isn't the case. It's fitted to TPE's 185s as well and I've never heard of any objections from ASLEF there to it.

sw1ller

Established Member
It used to be used on 390s at Virgin regularly - although I believe lately that isn't the case. It's fitted to TPE's 185s as well and I've never heard of any objections from ASLEF there to it.

Interesting, I can only go by what my instructors have told be a few years ago when I went through training. I’ve never used it. Would be a nice feature to have to be fair. Means I can keep my eyes looking out the window more.

D365

Veteran Member
I don't remember seeing a "cruise control" function in operation, but I don't suppose you'd need it on the test track...

Fincra5

Established Member

377s Have it. But it was disabled due to some incidents (Company Choice). Its supposed to be re-enabled for driving at 5mph around the Yard... but none seem to work.

superalbs

Established Member
Saw one today at Bedford. Could not help myself but laugh, although they do look good.
750px-Class_230_at_Bedford_2.jpg

VERY quiet, quieter than many pure EMUs are even.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The front is definitely a "space invaders ghost" look :)

I think the livery does suit it. Probably about the only thing it does suit; it looks like a packet of Trebor Mints on a 350. Too many vertical elements.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
no street word on this yet. Driver training has started but guard training has not. The 230 is regularly running all day now so testing/training must have ramped up

Are they to be worked conventionally, i.e. guard release and close, or is driver release/guard close to be used? The latter would save several minutes on a typical Marston Vale run as guards often delay door release to complete a transaction. (This doesn't actually delay the trains as the timetable takes this into account, but I'd hope that after they bed in with their improved acceleration and this possibility it would be feasible to reduce timetabled running times a bit).

DannyMich2018

With the fault fixed? If so delivery within a couple of weeks I guess.
I'd hope so, the Class 150/153 on the line can be better redeployed elsewhere but with nearly all new or re-built trains at the minute been heavily late (Class 195, 769, Scotrail HSTs, CAF MK 5's, Class 710 etc) I wouldn't hold your breathe!!

HLE

Established Member
Guards training should just be a day or two which is why they wouldn't have started yet. Drivers would be a complete course which is usually 2-3 weeks traction dependant.

Last edited:

BucksBones

Circular came out from ASLEF today. Make of this what you will...

CLASS 230 TRAINING - WMT

In their January session the Executive Committee gave consideration to a report from their Training Sub Committee on the above issue. The Executive Committee dealt with the matter by adopting the following resolution;

117/484 “That the report be noted and the General Secretary be instructed to advise the HR Director, WMT that the proposed training course for the Class 230 is acceptable to ASLEF.

Further EC Res 914/482 be reaffirmed and that training will not commence until all ASLEF concerns have been addressed.

All Branches and Reps WMT be advised.”

Resolution 914/482 is reproduced below for your information.

914/482 “That the report be noted and developments awaited.

Further, the General Secretary be instructed to advise the Operations Director, West Midlands Trains that the Class 230 stock entering service for any purpose other than testing is not acceptable to ASLEF.

All branches and reps be advised.”

I’m no expert but doesn’t that mean 230s entering full service would be unacceptable “until all ASLEF concerns are addressed”?
Perhaps just a case of dotting i’s and crossing t’s...?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I read it as "We're happy with the planned method of training, but we won't allow training to start until other problems(*) are sorted."

* Some physical issues with the units, perhaps?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I read it as "We're happy with the planned method of training, but we won't allow training to start until other problems(*) are sorted."

* Some physical issues with the units, perhaps?
Yes that's how I interpret it too. The training course is satisfactory, but will not begin as the units themselves are currently considered unsatisfactory.

sw1ller

Established Member
It sounds a lot like the one that came out in Oct/nov with the added phrase of “we’re happy with the training”. I think it’s just reiterating the previous circular but showing there is satisfactory progress being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.