• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Exactly, especially given the rolling resistance (friction) of metal wheels on metal track is much lower.

Now, hopefully we can back to what's happening with the 230s...
Sorry to continue a digression, but rolling resistance is not the same as friction. It's the energy lost by each bit of the wheel being squashed as it takes the weight of the vehicle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Could someone please clarify the following acronyms, as per the forum rules?

ALARP/ALAP (not sure if the second was a typo of the first)
HAZID

Cheers.
Bletchleyite did happen to explain the first two a little earlier:
The problem with ALARP is that it stands for "as low as reasonably possible". It is therefore quite subjective, and can be driven by other factors.

It isn't ALAP i.e. "as low as possible", which would be quite different.

Metal_gee_man

I hate to sound dumb but side evacuation is obviously a bit dangerous in an electrified tunnel like the tunnels down to Moorgate hence the end evact 717s! But a diesel loco doesn't provide as many dangers as a 3rd rail etc... Why are the rules to tough?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I hate to sound dumb but side evacuation is obviously a bit dangerous in an electrified tunnel like the tunnels down to Moorgate hence the end evact 717s! But a diesel loco doesn't provide as many dangers as a 3rd rail etc... Why are the rules to tough?
Any third/fourth rail should be isolated before evacuating (though that occasionally fails to happen, recent incident at Peckham) so electrocution isn't an issue. The problem with side doors is if the tunnel is physically too narrow for people to get down the side of the train. This applies to most of the Underground and used to apply to Shakespeare Tunnel in Dover, but I believe the track there was offset to one side to allow 395s to operate. Is there anywhere else where passenger-carrying trians must have end doors?

apk55

Any third/fourth rail should be isolated before evacuating (though that occasionally fails to happen, recent incident at Peckham) so electrocution isn't an issue. The problem with side doors is if the tunnel is physically too narrow for people to get down the side of the train. This applies to most of the Underground and used to apply to Shakespeare Tunnel in Dover, but I believe the track there was offset to one side to allow 395s to operate. Is there anywhere else where passenger-carrying trians must have end doors?
Class 313 which worked into Moorgate

ac6000cw

Established Member
Merseyrail? (thinking about the old Mersey tunnels here, rather than the modern link and loop tunnels)

Last edited:

On Moderation
Farringdon-Moorgate was one. Hence why the 319s have end doors and why the 700s don’t (as the line has closed and junction built over at Farringdon).

mmh

Established Member
The 101s were still running to Blaenau in 2001, as seen here. And come to think of it, top-and-tail railtours to Blaenau may have redundant motive power, but they don't have any end-doors available.

I accept that risk assessments change, but don't feel that the risk at Blaenau Tunnel is comparable to that of the Mersey Tunnel or the London Underground. Plus, they've stopped sending nuclear traffic through now...

I can't find any any evidence to back up my recollection of Pacers being trialled on the line, but Penmorfa has photos of the LEV1 railbus at Betws y Coed.

There's a picture here: http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/alanhaywardpage11.html

"LLANRWST - As viewed from the cab of a train waiting to go forward to Blaenau Ffestiniog. A Class 142 attached to a Class 150 passes in the loop."

mmh

Established Member

The Northern City line to London Moorgate, and probably the Merseyrail loop line.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Merseyrail? (thinking about the old Mersey tunnels here, rather than the modern link and loop tunnels)
Farringdon-Moorgate was one. Hence why the 319s have end doors and why the 700s don’t (as the line has closed and junction built over at Farringdon).
Class 313 which worked into Moorgate
Agreed, three more Underground-like examples. But I still can't think of any on the "main line" railway comparable to Blaenau, other than formerly at Shakespeare.

jimm

Established Member

No sign of 230005 on the Cotswold Line on Monday in the end but the test run paths are back in the system for tomorrow and Thursday, plus a conditional path is also showing for a Thursday afternoon move from Long Marston to Bletchley

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/MIM/2019/02/13/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91548/2019/02/13/advanced

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No sign of 230005 on the Cotswold Line on Monday in the end but the test run paths are back in the system for tomorrow and Thursday, plus a conditional path is also showing for a Thursday afternoon move from Long Marston to Bletchley

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/MIM/2019/02/13/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91548/2019/02/13/advanced

I think 230005 has been out today. If so then it looks like a big step forward !.

AndrewE

Established Member
The problem with ALARP is that it stands for "as low as reasonably possible". It is therefore quite subjective, and can be driven by other factors. It isn't ALAP i.e. "as low as possible", which would be quite different.
Sorry to be picky, but (as SET_passenger said) it is "as low as reasonably practicable." This has been tested in the law courts, and means that you have to invest what is necessary until additional expenditure outweighs the further safety returns. Of course "invest" might mean spend, or it might be that management effort and leadership is required.
"Practicable" by itself means physically possible - regardless of cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.