• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

olympus

As that's in Railtrack livery it must be an ex-Sandite unit. Just as suitable for main line passenger use in the 21st Century as a 230 then.
The name on the bubble car is 'Pandora' and it was for some time a 'video survey unit', further information can no doubt be found online.

K.o.R

Does anyone know what the two sets of nine circles either side of the Cyclops headlight do? I saw them on the picture on Vivarail's article about the delivery of 003-005 and had never noticed them before.

Railengineer

Does anyone know what the two sets of nine circles either side of the Cyclops headlight do? I saw them on the picture on Vivarail's article about the delivery of 003-005 and had never noticed them before.
Exhaust vents for the hydrogen power upgrade?

MK Tom

Established Member
Is there any way of knowing which D78 vehicles went into the class 230 sets? I'm really curious to know if I photographed any of the vehicles from 230003-5 in their LUL guise.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Is there any way of knowing which D78 vehicles went into the class 230 sets? I'm really curious to know if I photographed any of the vehicles from 230003-5 in their LUL guise.
230003: 7127 (300103)-7069 (300003)
230004: 7500 (300104)-7100 (300004)
230005: 7128 (300105)-7066 (300005)

Aictos

Established Member
It's gone a bit quiet lately on their testing and introduction. Anyone know what's going on in Marston Vale land? Any rough introduction dates as they're now 4 months late...

That's what I like to know, are they in service yet on the Marston or not?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's gone a bit quiet lately on their testing and introduction. Anyone know what's going on in Marston Vale land? Any rough introduction dates as they're now 4 months late...

That's what I like to know, are they in service yet on the Marston or not?

they are out testing almost every day. I understand staff training is going according to plan. No date yet for entry into service.

Have ASLEF now any reservations on the Class 230 in actual commercial service?

that seems to have gone quiet but I suspect no one here knows the answer.

Aictos

Established Member
they are out testing almost every day. I understand staff training is going according to plan. No date yet for entry into service.

Ahh thank you for the update, I look forward to sampling them as much as the Class 769s when they enter service.

Aictos

Established Member
I think the 230 will be all the more interesting - 769s will I'm sure be good workhorses, but they are basically just 4-car Class 150s with a pantograph.

I've used the D78s on the District line but I agree they under their current Class 230 guise will be interesting compared to the Class 150s and Class 153s that currently run on the line in question for example; braking and accelerating from station stops, passenger loads (do they carry more passengers then existing trains), reliability etc...

Will the introduction of the Class 230s mean improved journey times by faster dwell times at stations?

big all

On Moderation
And turn around time on the Island Line is 8 minutes. It could comfortably do three return journeys without charging and then fully charge during one standard turn around.
much better to charge as you go and maybe zap charge if it falls to 65-75% off capacity as prolonged heavy charging will show up any weak points in the system
also power failure at charging station or incident keeping you away for hours need consideration

supervc-10

Is there any point in having battery units on the Island Line when it's already set up with 3rd rail?

I think battery units would be more useful on things like the Henley Branch, although I think the 769s are planned for there, running on the overhead to Twyford and then diesel to Henley?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any point in having battery units on the Island Line when it's already set up with 3rd rail?

I think battery units would be more useful on things like the Henley Branch, although I think the 769s are planned for there, running on the overhead to Twyford and then diesel to Henley?
This has been discussed regularly in the Island Line thread as well. It’s as though some posters are really keen to remove existing infrastructure “because it can be”, and can’t cope with the alternate possibility it could just be brought up to normal standards.

Perhaps a case of finding a solution, and then looking for a problem to go with it?

A0wen

On Moderation
This has been discussed regularly in the Island Line thread as well. It’s as though some posters are really keen to remove existing infrastructure “because it can be”, and can’t cope with the alternate possibility it could just be brought up to normal standards.

Heaven forbid that some of us might actually be looking at a solution which doesn't rely on 100 year old technology, may be cheaper and easier to maintain in the future and actually makes the line less expensive to run, which might help secure its future.

Status
Not open for further replies.