• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I want to have a go now! I sincerely believe that characterful little trains like this on a secondary line with a decent community rail partnership are a positive thing. If the crew and passengers take ownership of 'their trains' they will be good for the local area.

I completely agree. If they prove reliable, I reckon TfW should whack an extra one on their order for the Conwy Valley.

With this kind of kit you can promote the line with a special livery but also provide special features relevant to the line, such as large amounts of cycle or luggage space. The Vale is a bit constrained by the need for shorter trains, but on the Conwy Valley how about a 3-car set with special attention paid to window alignment and say 6 cycle spaces, and maybe even a trolley dock for summer weekends? (The CRP would probably operate something like that as a promotional tool rather than it being a cost centre).

The Germans seem to do quite well with this sort of concept using new kit (primarily Stadler) - but if that's unaffordable this really does seem a good alternative - and does seem to have become the first "new" train in service from the present round! :)

mic505

Yes, and then for PRM works, not including corrosion and bodywork repairs, because it was done a while back.

Jozhua

Established Member
If anyone has been on these trains yet, I'd be interested to know how they compare to Sprinters!

Are they quieter/smoother than 150's?

Do they have air con, etc...

How is the seating layout on these, have they left enough legroom for a human sized passenger?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'll tell you later on, but because of the unfortunate timing against work (the other diagram would have been easier for me!) I expect it'll be the final Bedford-and-back of the day assuming it's still out by then.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder who's decided on the semi-official nickname of "Penguins"? :)

On another point, I note it hasn't been named yet - I hope the plan of naming all three after local "heroes" is followed through.

I'll tell you later on, but because of the unfortunate timing against work (the other diagram would have been easier for me!) I expect it'll be the final Bedford-and-back of the day assuming it's still out by then.
It’s working the 2S21 1551 BLY-BDM at the moment...

Into P6 at BLY when booked for P5, so not sure what’s happening there. Crew says it’s remaining in service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Signalling issue according to NRE. Just keeping an eye out, I'm quite likely to do the 1831 out on the 153 and return on the last 230 working of the day, but I'll do it tomorrow if the delay causes the 150 to be swapped in.

Wouldn't be good for Vivarail if that was an issue, but as the service is pretty self-contained and has a very long Bletchley layover changing the timetable would not be a great difficulty.
I didn’t get the impression it was being driven aggressively in an attempt to keep to time. If anything, crew seemed to be handling it pretty gently. Probably new braking points to work out.

anamyd

On Moderation
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...ivarail-d-train-enters-passenger-service.html

Vivarail D-Train enters passenger service
23 Apr 2019
csm_tn_gb-lnr-230004-Bedford-190423_a31427667f.jpg

csm_tn_gb-lnr-230004-interior_d888afabf1.jpg

csm_tn_gb-lnr-230004-toilet-design-wrap_0dcf8c02e5.jpg

UK: West Midlands Trains put its first Class 230 ‘D-Train’ DMU into passenger service on April 23, working the Marston Vale route between Bletchley and Bedford, which forms part of its London Northwestern Railway business unit.

The Abellio-led franchise operator ordered the three two-car units from Vivarail to provide extra capacity and improved customer amenities, including accessible toilets and USB sockets at every seat. The remaining two sets are expected to enter service in the coming weeks. The new timetable which starts next month will provide an hourly service each way on Monday to Saturday, with Sunday trains to be introduced from 2021.

The Class 230 DMUs have been converted from London Underground D78 metro stock, originally manufactured by Metro Cammell in 1980. The aluminium bodyshells have been retained, but the interiors have been extensively refurbished. Power is supplied by two underfloor genset modules on each vehicle, which incorporate a 3·2 litre Ford Duratec diesel engine. The traction control system developed by Strukton Rail uses IGBT choppers, with the traction control electronics and battery charger integrated in one box. A state-of-the-art remote condition monitoring system is also fitted. Maximum speed is 97 km/h.

Vivarail claims that the fuel consumption is roughly half that of a Class 14X Pacer diesel multiple-unit. This is supported by the use of stop-start technology, which sees the engines shut down when not needed, such as at stations or when stabled, although one engine will remain operational for battery charging. The designers say that having four separate engine modules would enable a train to operate at near full power even if one engine should fail. The design of the traction package allows the trains to be maintained locally, rather than needing to return to a depot. Individual engine modules can be exchanged in 10 min with just three operations: disconnecting the fuel and air hoses; unhooking the safety catches and lifting out the module using a pallet truck. Current estimates are that a full engine change would only be needed every 250 000 to 300 000 km.

LNR Customer Experience Director Jonny Wiseman said the Class 230 was ‘a fantastic addition to our fleet’, noting that ‘there has been a lot of anticipation for the introduction of the D-Trains from staff, commuters and the local community, and we hope that our passengers find them comfortable and welcoming to travel on. These trains are unrecognisable from their former life on the Underground; Vivarail has created a modern and comfortable train, ideal for this route.’

Describing the start of passenger service as ‘a very proud day for all at Vivarail’, CEO Adrian Shooter explained that ‘our design and engineering work has been focused on ensuring the Marston Vale trains are of the quality and standard that passengers deserve. Our partners at London Northwestern Railway have worked tirelessly with us to bring these trains into service and I thank them for all the support and faith they have shown in us as we have grown from a start-up business into a full train manufacturer in such a short space of time.’

The D-Trains feature a modified LNR livery, together with artwork from local artist Alisha Miller to be displayed inside each of the three units.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And...it's departed on the 1736 48 minutes late. Right nuisance that, as I could have made it for that time!

I assume the intention is that it will get the delay back during the 1 hour-ish layover it has after this round trip.

hooverboy

On Moderation
I bloody knew it. Go on holiday and they bring in the new trains. Ffs!

Listen: if I find any of you have sat in my seat there will be hell on. And dont make a mess. It is new.
quite pleased with it actually!
it's a sweet little unit
got on the 10.55 @Bedford!(230004)

seats are certainly comfortable enough. windows,ambiance and so on is quite pleasant...I would say a better ride than the sprinters,albeit a bit noisier once the driver puts his foot down.

for the purposes of the line it's working it's quite adequate,much nicer than a dogbox. Now I've been on one I'd say that these would be absolutely perfect for island line as long as the clearances can be worked around.

the one thing i would suggest with the PIS system is just have time and next stop,rather than all those crappy SSS,don't put feet on seats etc etc random messages.

I want to know what the time is now,what the next stop is,and when we are due to arrive at point x.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.