• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
It'll be to give LNWR & Vivarail time to fit it. If the cab windows don't open, I'm surprised ASLEF accepted them at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern Dvr

Is Marston Vale 100% Class 230 operation these days? I’m considering sampling them tomorrow (Saturday) but don’t want to waste the trip!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is Marston Vale 100% Class 230 operation these days? I’m considering sampling them tomorrow (Saturday) but don’t want to waste the trip!

yes. 2 of the 3 trains are in use at any one time. Reliability has been pretty good recently.

They were fitted with cab air-cooling during LU refurbishment 2003-2005.

thanks - i thought it had been upgraded to cab air con but apparently not.

yoyothehobo

i had my first experience on the Marston Vale line in many years on Monday and I got to ride on the 230 for the first time and I must say the following:

Disappointed it isnt a pair of 31s top and tailing 2 coaches.

Beyond that I was pleasantly surprised.
Big windows.
Charging points.
Seats, a nice mix of arrangements, could be more of them, but the mix allows for bikes to be carried for short distances, wheelchairs.
Ride was comfortable
Looked good inside and outside.

Downside i thought that the doors were quite slow in opening, not slower than a 158 but not quick either
Whilst standing at a station there was a revving noise seemingly high up in the cabin (aircon?), not sure whether it was a motor to keep things running whilst stopped but it was noticeable, but the units are quiet compared to running round on 142s and 150s in the North.

I was skeptical of them, but I would happily have them on a line if it meant an improved service.

Pshambro

Wow, D-Stock being converted into Diesel trains? I think I've heard it all now.

I take it the dream plan was to use a Class 55 for motive power and a DVT on the other end, oh and to fit IC70 seats along with putting a Mark 3 dining car in the middle?

Or are they going the full distance and double-heading with 4472 and 4468 on the front and DP1 on the back to round off the photo opportunity?

Almost as crazy as some of the suggestions for what to do with the class 442s.
There should be a dream world and an actual sensible world areas of this forum.

Just looking at the first couple of pages of this thread and it's now quite amusing. Sorry to focus on these posts in particular: there were many more like it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just looking at the first couple of pages of this thread and it's now quite amusing. Sorry to focus on these posts in particular: there were many more like it.

There have been a lot of seemingly bizarre ideas that have actually happened in recent years. I'd probably suggest the TPE LHCS and 230s as being the most seemingly bizarre things that actually came true.

sw1ller

Established Member
There have been a lot of seemingly bizarre ideas that have actually happened in recent years. I'd probably suggest the TPE LHCS and 230s as being the most seemingly bizarre things that actually came true.

Seen one of them TPE LHCS the other day, although I only saw the outside, they look incredible. I have no interest in the project but from what I can see they’re a great idea and done to a high standard. Sorry to go off thread. Back on thread, the 230’s have exceeded most people’s expectations I think. I bet even Paul S likes um.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I bet even Paul S likes um.
I'll let him speak for himself, but I think the jury's still out, there.

I've yet to encounter one in the flesh, for that matter. I'm sure we'll both get the opportunity soon enough, when they start operating closer to home.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
i had my first experience on the Marston Vale line in many years on Monday and I got to ride on the 230 for the first time and I must say the following:

Disappointed it isnt a pair of 31s top and tailing 2 coaches.

That's a bit overkill, having 4 Class 31s on a train!!o_O :D :lol:

Glad at least someone has got a project like this up and running in service.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Have you been on one yet?

The line in question is not one that I would ever find the need to use as there is no reason, at the age of 74, why I would need to visit the area in question. I am sure that the countless YouTube videos and pictorial images of what the Class 230 units actually portray that I have seen are more than enough to convince me still that my original comments concerning the outdated visual external experience of the Class 230 units are still correct.

I think it was an American politician of note who once said that "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"...or words to that effect.

driver_m

Established Member
The line in question is not one that I would ever find the need to use as there is no reason, at the age of 74, why I would need to visit the area in question. I am sure that the countless YouTube videos and pictorial images of what the Class 230 units actually portray that I have seen are more than enough to convince me still that my original comments concerning the outdated visual external experience of the Class 230 units are still correct.

I think it was an American politician of note who once said that "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"...or words to that effect.

You never know, a TfW one passing through Prestbury and Macclesfield if their random unit generator just happened to send one your way on a diversion. (Indulge me everyone, I know the chances are 0.0000000001%!) would you get on one, (if so arranged) if it stopped in your beautiful part of Cheshire!?

D365

Veteran Member
They're definitely a lot quieter inside than what videos make out.

And that's from me only having sampled the prototype unit on the Log Marston test track.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You never know, a TfW one passing through Prestbury and Macclesfield if their random unit generator just happened to send one your way on a diversion. (Indulge me everyone, I know the chances are 0.0000000001%!) would you get on one, (if so arranged) if it stopped in your beautiful part of Cheshire!?

In days of yore, Class 142 Pacer units were noted passing through Prestbury on a very few early morning services, but one can only take so much in the way of innovationary units that might disrupt the equilibrium of the village...:lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
there is no reason, at the age of 74, why I would need to visit the area in question.

I agree Bedford is pretty grotty but at Bletchley we have:
  • Bletchley Park
  • National Museum of Computing
Surely they appeal to a man of your mathematical bent

(they are well worth a visit even if you detest maths like I do! The national museum of computing is fantastically bonkers but does contain working bombe, Heath Robinson and Colossus replicas which were crucial to the work of Blethcley Park)

ExRes

Established Member
A lot of people visit Bedford whether they want to or not, Her Majesty insists on it and even provides accomodation

Status
Not open for further replies.