• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Credit card fee on Thetrainline.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLA365

When I was booking a MML Advance C return ticket to Sheffield from London, it displayed the correct total of £7.90 in total.

However, after I input my credit card details it charged me a fare of £9.40 stating that there is a £1.50 credit card fee.

There is no mention of this before I pay, so why should it appear AFTER I have supplied my details.

When I try to back up to see whether it has been mentioned in small print, I cannot do so and none of the stages of my booking appear.

When have they introduced this ridiculous scam, and why? There was no fee the last time I checked

EDIT: I have just booked the same departures on the MML site (also powered by Trainline.com) and there is no credit card fee!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Their 'fee' has been on for a few months. I refuse to use thetrainline, because of this and its other scam which tries to force you into their travel insurance by automatically ticking the box, so you have to manually untick it. I always use MML's website (which as you say is powered by thetrainline) - you can buy the same range of tickets on there, not just MML ones.

Guinness

Established Member
There has been a thread about this. Simple answer is not to use Trainline. Use MML/VT/GNER online ticket service.

Gareth Hale

When im in the UK I usually book my tickets on the train or at the station. I have never booked over the internet for train tickets.

clagmonster

Established Member
Yes, but with advance purchase you can save a lot of money. As has already been said, just use other sites, there are enough of them. It is a shame that most folk will just pay the £1.50, so the Trainline won't stop chrging it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just boycott thechingline.com, the alternatives use the same engine but the thescamline.com get less commission and there are no scams (it would be incredibly bad PR for a TOC to do these scams, but thecrapline.com are a faceless organisation with no reputation to lose).

I've had the following problems with thefarceline.com:-

1. Tickets not turning up. Had to purchase new tickets at extra ££££. Had to complain a lot to get my money back.
2. Tickets being booked but no FastTicket reference number (shown as blank).
3. Saver returns only valid for return travel on the same day (should be a month).*
4. Duplicate tickets; charged twice, despite only one transaction.
5. Lets you select tickets and then moans just before you pay that the service has "sold out", when it actually hasn't.

It is also very difficult to speak to people who actually understand ticketing and who are in a position of any authority to actually do something.

I was once told I could get a London to York saver return for £1.50 (Long story!) by some numpty.

* I have sent it in for a refund, plus £10 admin fee. They charge a £10 admin fee so why can't I? I await their response!

Status
Not open for further replies.