• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

crehld's travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like 3 excellent days there! The London challenge was definitely fun but there just wasn't really enough time in the end!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ouch to the long fester for that Chiltern run! Some rather good going there on the clearout mind, I need Brentwood myself so I must remember it is now in an outer zone. Quite, I think that's the only one in an outer zone that I still need, one must refresh his London knowledge...

I think it's fair to say I'm rather jealous of your intensive day in London. How early did you start on the Sunday? If it was before 0700 then yes I'd agree on that but you simply can't waste time on a Sunday in bed when in London, there's just too much to do!

I am however generating ideas for a bit of a mega bash now, thanks to your trip report. An excellent read as always!

crehld

Established Member
Ouch to the long fester for that Chiltern run! Some rather good going there on the clearout mind, I need Brentwood myself so I must remember it is now in an outer zone. Quite, I think that's the only one in an outer zone that I still need, one must refresh his London knowledge...

I think it's fair to say I'm rather jealous of your intensive day in London. How early did you start on the Sunday? If it was before 0700 then yes I'd agree on that but you simply can't waste time on a Sunday in bed when in London, there's just too much to do!

I am however generating ideas for a bit of a mega bash now, thanks to your trip report. An excellent read as always!

I took the first DLR train from City Airport to Woolwich Arsenal - that was just before 7am so was up probably just after 6ish.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyway - with the usual apologies for the delay here is the write up of day one of the East Midlands adventure:

4 April 2016: East Midlands adventure day 1
Following my weekend in London the plan had be to head to Brussels for a business trip. However thanks to our corporate travel insurers refusing to cover the trip to due the terrorist attacks the week before the trip was cancelled. So I was left with three days spare as Mrs crehld and baby crehld had made plans to go and see the in laws.

A quick scan of the coverage map revealed a rather large gap in the east Midlands. That, coupled with £52 worth of rail travel vouchers lying around, made the decision to get a 3 in 7 East Midlands Rover a no brainer - I took advantage of a couple of last minute cheap advances and an offer on the Nottingham travelodge for the first night (yes another one, but for £29 I ain't complaining) were quickly booked.

And so, at 0545 in the morning I set off from the Travelodge at City Airport, this time walking to Pontoon Dock DLR station (which I figured out yesterday was probably slightly closer than London City Airport). The climb up a great many stairs (and there really were a lot of them!) had be tired out before the day had begun! But I made it to the platforms and onto DLR86, DLR87 and DLR27 all the way to Bank (first time there on a DLR train). A switch here to the Northern line took me to Kings Cross St Pancras, courtesy of LU51633 + LU51634.

26352943722_d38532f8eb.jpg
26172423290_efc5b56752.jpg

There was just enough time to cash in a voucher to get a free McDonalds coffee before heading into Kings Cross station and onto the train with 91111 doing the honours. I'm off at Peterborough and it's straight into the ticket office to purchase the rover. One of the RTVs I'm using has been issued by Northern and they look rather different to your standard RTV. This seems to throw the ticket office lady off a bit but I soon have the rover in my hands. I can't use it until 9 so I head into the next door Waitrose cafe for a caffeine hit and make use of the free wifi to catch up on work emails.

26352936472_650fab445f.jpg

With the time restriction passed, it's straight to the station and onto the train hauled by 91125 for the half hour ride to Newark North Gate. The bloke on the trolley tries his best to sell me something but I pass - perhaps introducing yourself by saying "good morning sir, how may I rip you off today" isn't a good sales tactic after all :lol: It's then onto 153376 for the long ride to Habrough - I don't too much as it's all new track for me. It's over to the other platform here, and 153324 is a welcome sight just as it starts to chuck it down with rain. I'm on all the way here to Barton-on-Humber. The plan on arrival is to hop off and catch and glimse of the mighty Humber Bridge, but the weather spoils that plan so I hop back onto 153324 for the return journey.

25840404824_c63c87ce8c.jpg
26352934622_24e7700719.jpg

I put my request into the guard to get off at New Clee - a rather unloved station in the middle of an industrial estate. Anyhow, the weather has cleared up so in true crehld fashion it's walking time. I eventually find the seafront and make my way into Cleethorpes. There's a bit of time before the next train so I head into town to have a look around and get some lunch provisions. It's not a great place I have to say - another of those seaside resorts that's trying to appeal to a market which hasn't existed since 1970s. Although to be fair visiting on a rainy day in April probably isn't going to how the town off at its best. I find an indpeendent bakery and source some supplies before heading back to Cleethorpes station and boarding 185151 to take me all the way to Doncaster.

25840403914_1c7c5633ea.jpg
25842437763_dd448c4dcb.jpg

There's a relatively quick change here onto 43305 + 43306 down to Grantham. Here I find 156470 ready and waiting to take me to Nottingham.

25840405694_80f8ed841d.jpg

I take some time away from the tracks here to drop off some stuff at the Travelodge. There's a lot of faff trying to get the key card to work (it takes three trips to reception and back to get it sorted), but I'm soon back at Nottingham station. Here it's on 222023 for the long haul to Wellingborough. Just a short time is had here before it's onto 222101 + 222011 heading back north to Leicester, where I hop off and catch 222005 up to Chesterfield.

26419327906_880f85fb56.jpg
26445251885_e018337101.jpg

Again there's not long here before I continue to head north, this time on 158903 to Sheffield. It's then onto 150114 to Dore and Totley. There's a short fester here while I wait for the train back to Sheffield, but I figure it's not quite long enough to head to the nearby bar for a cheeky half. Eventually 170306 + 170308 arrive to take me back to Sheffield.

26352941652_5f481c915c.jpg

Now the plan here is to hang about for a bit to grab a late night PSUL move, but the sudden realisation that I've been up since before 0530 hits and I reluctantly decide it's time to head to bed, with 158783 + 158770 doing the honours back to Nottingham.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather long and busy day, not to mention a good bit of variety! An excellent read as always too :)

Cleethorpes, well my visit didn't show it off too much either, as I got off a 185 there and was soon on a 153 to Barton on Humber. Way back on 2007!

Looking forward to seeing what happened on Day 2!

crehld

Established Member
A rather long and busy day, not to mention a good bit of variety! An excellent read as always too :)

I do love a bit of variety! Makes things that little bit more interesting when out and about :)

Looking forward to seeing what happened on Day 2!

And you won't have to wait long...

5 April 2016: East Midlands adventure day 2
After a well earned good night's sleep (definitely was a good call on finishing earlier the day before) I'm up and ready for day two. I start with a cup of coffee before boarding the first train my rover will allow. It's 222016 and this morning it's taking me all the way to Market Harborough. The journey is used to catch up on work emails again, but there's a bit of an awkward moment after I hand over the ticket for inspection and realise I've not put today's date in the boxes - the guard is most understanding and offers a pen to resolve the matter. It's a beautiful morning and there's a bit of time at Market Harborough to explore, but unfortunately the town centre is just that little too far away. Eventually it's onto 43050 + 43073 to East Midlands Parkway.

25844883473_179c37dd80.jpg
26421782636_306e56cce5.jpg

There's enough time here to grab another coffee (eagle eyed readers have probably realise I have an unhealthy addiction by now!) and admire the power station cooling towers before hopping onto 158812 which (after a long stand still at Nottingham) takes me all the way to Lincoln. The approach to the station offers superb views of the city's cathedral, but there's no time to explore as it's straight onto 142044 (I warn you all - this particular unit stinks of dog poo throughout :( ) to Retford.

25842853484_68359b8509.jpg
26421786336_73356f3854.jpg

There's just enough time to make the lengthy walk between the low level and the high level platforms, allowing me to catch 180109 to Doncaster. There's time to pop into the next door shopping centre here for some lunch provisions before returning to the station to catch the train to Grantham, courtesy of 91108. I manage to make the tight connection here onto 156470, this time heading to Sleaford where there's short wait before catching 153357 to Peterborough. Thanks to a little bit of early running I manage to make a +1 here onto the train pulled by 91117. I find myself alighting at Retford for the second time today, this time to board 144008 to Worksop.

26174867490_82280b9da5.jpg
26174865860_ac8bd8c1c6.jpg

There's a fair bit of time here and I not that there's a pub on the station itself, so I decide to try it out. It's a small place so I end up sharing a table with some bloke. He into death metal big and and runs a business which makes prosthetics for horror and sci fi productions (he's currently working on some vampire teeth) - two things I cannot relate to whatsoever. He's friendly enough and has a small daughter like me so we eventually find some common ground for discussion. But our conversation is cut short by the arrival of 156403 which will be taking me all the way to Nottingham. It's time to start thinking about heading home now. So as soon as the doors open upon arrival at Nottingham I'm straight onto 222016 (for the second time today) to Leicester, followed by 170117 to Nuneaton. 390047 takes me up to Stafford and the end of the East Midlands validity area.

26355389022_f81018ea1e.jpg

Thanks to some smooth sailing I make it to Stafford one hour before my booked train to Crewe (yes I'm on another advance but it's cheap!), so I head into town and find a McDonalds for dinner. Full up I head back to Stafford station and board 390125 to Crewe. For some unexplained reason we're sat stationary next to Basford Hall yard for ages and by the time we pull into Crewe I only have a minute to make it to the bus stop to catch the last bus of the evening. As I emerge from the station I see the bus wizz past - fortunately the late night driver (who it has to be said is absolutely fantastic) spots me dashing across the road and kindly waits saving me a costly taxi fare home.

Last edited:

andyb2706

Great reads for your two days in the East Midlands and a crazy first day.....kind of reminds me of someone. You do meet interesting people in some of these smaller pubs and what a great job he has. As to your haulage a right good range of stock there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very fortunate on the bus at the end!

222016 is noted as 220016 out of Nottingham in the morning, and was it 170117 or 170118 (which I swear down doesn't exist, but I'm enjoying a beer, the 259th unique brew which I'm about to log on Untappd, so I could be wrong) you had to Nuneaton? ;)

Looks like you had a good time, and as a fellow coffee freak I could only smile at the coffee breaks!

crehld

Established Member
Very fortunate on the bus at the end!

222016 is noted as 220016 out of Nottingham in the morning, and was it 170117 or 170118 (which I swear down doesn't exist, but I'm enjoying a beer, the 259th unique brew which I'm about to log on Untappd, so I could be wrong) you had to Nuneaton? ;)

Looks like you had a good time, and as a fellow coffee freak I could only smile at the coffee breaks!

222016 was indeed has twice that day. And it was 170117 (duly fixed ;) )

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great first two days! You were very lucky with the bus at the end!

alexf380

Established Member
I can't wait to get started in the East Midlands area, and you've certainly provided a few decent moves to bear in mind for when I eventually do get down there Looking forward to the third day, certainly.

crehld

Established Member
In putting together my latest trip report I've realised I've missed the third day of the East Midlands Rover :oops: It's not much but here it goes:

6 April 2016: East Midlands Rover Day 3
Having had two very exhausting days out on the rails I decided to take it easy for a day and go and visit family in Norfolk. With the East Midlands Rover covering most of the distance it seemed like a good idea.

I get myself to Crewe in the usual fashion before boarding 390119 for the one stop run to Stafford. It's then a change here onto 350126 down to Nuneaton. There's a bit of time before the next CrossCountry train heading east arrives so I head to the nearby Asda to pick up some provisions for the long journey ahead.

Back at the station I pick up the ticket I'll need later on between Peterborough and Great Yarmouth, before boarding 170108 for the long haul to Ely. There's plenty of freight going though here before 158857 arrives heading for Norwich. The guard checking tickets really doesn't like the fact I intend to break my journey along the way and tells me it's not allowed (despite the fact it is). Next time I'll keep my mouth shut! The conversation ends with something along the lines "well you do what you want then", so I get off at Thetford.

26280215693_6d97203899.jpg
26791335632_d4a36b3173.jpg

It seems a nice enough place but as it's started to rain I try not to stray too far from the station. Eventually 170207 shows up to take me the rest of the distance to Norwich. There's a quick transfer here onto 156419 all the way to Great Yarmouth.

That's it - told you it wasn't much!

1 May 2016: Freedom of Severn and Solent Day 1
I had another of my usual trips to Portsmouth coming up - this time for a university reunion. Thanks to the WCML being pretty much closed for business over the bank holiday weekend I had to find another way round. So I took this as an opportunity to make use of another Freedom of the Severn and Solent Rover, this time getting the train down to Newport and starting there. I get my rover from very helpful ticket office clerk at Crewe who even throws in a new railcard wallet (just as well as mine is starting to fall apart).

Between Shrewsbury and Newport is new track for me so I'm not complaining at all when 175104 arrives at Crewe to take me to Newport. By a complete fluke we end up getting some unexpected PSUL action. As we approach Newport we end up going down the 'wrong' side of the Maindee junction triangle and reverse direction in a siding off the mainline. This at least now explains the almost three hour timetabled run from Crewe.

There's enough time at Newport to wander into town and grab a coffee before boarding 158952 heading east. As we leave Westbury I put in the request with the guard to get off at the next station, Dilton Marsh. I'm told this means having to get off at the front, and I'm currently at the back so the guard and I frantically try to battle our way towards the front of the train which has been standing room only since Bristol. It's walking time now as I head back towards Westbury.

26280865053_86aee0c93f.jpg
26280861213_01d80019cb.jpg

I make it in time to pick up 159005 to Warminster, where there's a short wait before 158950 shows up to take me to Salisbury.

26792002662_2bd34f25df.jpg
26612516940_4a9aa18c40.jpg

It's still not too late so I decide to hop on board 159101 + 159012 to Templecombe Having a single track, but two platforms is quite confusing here and I spend ages pawing away at the open door button like an idiot before realising I'm supposed to get off the other side. Still the out of use platform is very well looked after by a band of dedicated volunteers. This means there's something of interest to look at before 159002 + 159014 show up to take me back to Salisbury.

26612516280_544caff007.jpg

It's getting on a bit now (I hadn't left Crewe until after 11!) so I get on 158959 all the way to Portsmouth and Southsea, making it in time to catch Paul Merton's Secret Stations programme on 4+1. which I quite enjoy - better than Portillo's programme in my opinion.

I have a very early start planned for the next morning so decide to turn in for the evening nice and early.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Pretty ridiculous guard on the 158!

What did you think of the platform length at Dilton Marsh?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Tell me about it. I almost did miss it on both of my two trips passing there (in the same day), both on trams!

crehld

Established Member
Two good reads there :)

Some good clearouts for sure, jealous of the FoSS as I need to do one again!

I've found that if I can get cheap tickets to Worcester or Newport from Crewe then those plus an FoSS can be cheaper the direct walk up fares or advances to Portsmouth - so expect a few more FoSS adventures from me :)

Anyway, back to business.

2 May 2016: Freedom of Severn and Solent Day 2
I set myself two rather modest objectives for today. Firstly to clear all the stations between Pompey and Southampton, and secondly to clear the Lymington branch. This should have been dead easy in a day, but I also had to be back in Pompey for the reunion in the afternoon. This meant a 0615 wake up for a 0659 start if - not a problem as when you have an 18 month child as your body is conditioned to early mornings!

I started at Portsmouth and Southsea, where I boarded 313205 to today's first station, Hilsea. I only had to wait here a minute until 444019 arrived to take me two stops down the line to Portchester.

26911870002_bd4d290c49.jpg
26911865562_004631b132.jpg

377467 to take me to Swanwick. A quick dash over to the other platform gets me onto 377147 back one stop to Fareham, before there's another platform dash to catch 450071 to Woolston.

26972789266_cd53a6e766.jpg
26937844401_ac5734d783.jpg

There's quite the fester here, so rather than wait around doing nothing I decide to walk back one stop to Sholing. It's so close I still have to wait ages until 45071 shows up again (having been to Southampton and back) to take me to Bursledon. This looks like a seriously nice place - you know where the houses are huge and probably cost much more than they're actually worth. Anyway 450122 shows up next to take me to Netley.

27006227775_a553690bfa.jpg
27006232815_4a086d01b6.jpg
26732361050_647f929eec.jpg

It's walking time again here as I pick up the 'Hamble Rail Trail' footpath to Hamble. It's then onto 450122 again back to Bursledon, followed by 450557, this time all the way to Southampton Central. There's just enough time here to make the dash onto 221125 for one stop to Brockenhurst.

26911868952_3b36ef7d00.jpg
26402293403_b6b2f2ab6c.jpg

When I arrive I've just missed the shuttle, so find a little coffee shop on the platform to grab the all important caffeine hit before 450093 arrives. I take it all the way for the 5 and a bit mile journey to Lymington Pier. There's yet again more walking. I head for the town centre to pick up some lunch provisions for the journey back to Pompey, before making my way to Lymington Town station to pick up 450093 again back to Brockenhurst.

26972801546_1f9a523ec4.jpg
26911868342_362f1ff3d1.jpg

It's been a very productive morning, but it's time to head back to Portsmouth now. So it's straight onto 444005 + 444020 to Southampton Central, followed by 158888 to St Denys.

26972793856_c454728e2e.jpg

There's a short wait here before it's onto 450122 for the third time today. I decide there's still 20 minutes or so before I need to meet up with everyone, so bail at Fratton to wait a couple of minutes for 450001 + 450543 to Portsmouth and Southsea, followed by 158955 to Portsmouth Harbour.

A great afternoon is had and it quickly progresses to a trip to the pub and dinner out. My train travels for the day are no over, however. This evening I'm staying at the Eastleigh Travelodge because the friend I usually stay with can't put me up today. So it's back to Portsmouth and Southsea to pick up 450557 to St Denys, before boarding 158880 to Eastleigh. After the usual check in procedures I find I've been given a room with a great view overlooking the railway station :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather busy day there! An excellent read of course too.

Cheap tickets to Worcester should be easy enough to get hold of with modest notice, so I look forward to more FoSS based adventures!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Those couple walks between Sholing & Woolston, plus Hamble & Netley is how I managed to get some of those hourly shacks done :)

Sounded like a productive day, and good news on the Travelodge in Eastleigh, I've seen it a few times when going through the station and noted it's a good location for any early morning railtours which start from Eastleigh area

crehld

Established Member
Finally got round to another update - slowly catching up now...

3 May 2016: Freedom of Severn and Solent Day 3
At 5:30am in the morning I realise I made a mistake last night by forgetting the close the curtains in the hotel room, and I am awoken by a bright beam of sunlight hitting my face. Still, it's a sign it's going to be a nice day today. It's the last day of my trip down south so I need to be making tracks towards Newport and then home. However, with an FOSS rover in my possession and most of the day to play with I figure I can take a more interesting route home.

My first task however is to pick up a couple of stations in this neck of the woods. The usual checkout procedures are performed before I venture into Eastleigh town centre for a coffee. It's then straight to business as I enter walking mode. Half an hour later I'm on the platform at Chandlers Ford waiting for 158890 to take me to St Denys. a short wait is had here before it's onto 450091 to pick up the one station I missed the day before Bitterne.

27150687271_27daa89d11.jpg
26944378020_081250e436.jpg

There's a bit of a fester here while I wait for the next service in the opposite direction. I seem to have developed a sore throat so use the time to find a nearby garage and pick up some water and Lockets to sort it out. Eventually 450113 rolls in to take me to Southampton Central. Here it's onto 220023 to Bournemouth. There's just about enough time to head into the Asda across the way and pick up some lunch provisions for later, before hopping onto 444034 all the way to Weymouth. The cross platform transfer here makes easy work of catching 444033 back up the line to Dorchester South.

27150687161_47267606f4.jpg
27185802516_915058f952.jpg

There's enough time for another coffee break here, before getting onto 444023 one stop back down the line to Upwey. I use the fester here to tuck into the lunch bought earlier, managing to polish it all off in time to board 150123 for the (very) long haul up to Freshford.

26944378110_28a1c60f3b.jpg
26944377900_2c80ec34ea.jpg

A swift dash to the other platform here puts me onto 150129 back to Bradford-on-Avon. I've been sat on trains for too long now so to get the blood in my legs moving again I decide to take a very pleasant walk along the river to Avoncliff.

27150687521_c1ff838b0d.jpg
26944378220_205475c27f.jpg

Here 150265 arrives, heading north. The usual scrum at Bristol crams itself onto the 2-car unit, to the point at at Filton Abbey Wood we're stuck for at least five minutes as people push their way off and more people push their way on. I'm off at the next stop Bristol Parkway. Fortunately I'm right at the back of the train, and the guard lets me get off through their door, saving me the hassle of trying to climb over everyone else to get off.

27150687421_753038b149.jpg

I get the next train headed to Newport, which is composed of 43070 + 43198. There's a good half hour before my train back to Crewe here so I go grab a McDonalds meal to sustain me for the journey home. I get back to Newport to find that my train is delayed, with no estimated time of arrive either. Eventually 175105 rolls in at a rather lethargic pace and 20 minutes late. We seem to make up time, but spend 4 or 5 minutes faffing at each station along the way back (for no apparent reason either), meaning all the time the driver managed to make up is lost. Arrival into Crewe is just shy of 30 minutes. This means I'm not even entitled to compensation, and I just miss the bus back home. I could wait 2 hours for the late night bus, but all I want to do by now is get home so I fork out for the taxi home.

8 May 2016: Another trip to Portsmouth
That's right. I'm heading down south for the second weekend in a row. Rather than did what I did the week before and use a rover, I decided to keep things simple and just get through tickets this time round. However, my ticket down was an off-peak single and permitted break of journeys so there was still some scope for a little station hunting.

Things are off to a good start as it's onto 390151 for the run down to Euston. Today we're going via Alsager and Stoke-on-Trent as there are more works going on at Norton Bridge. I decide to treat myself to the weekend first class upgrade (you only live once after all). Arrival into London is a whopping 25 minutes early! Not wanting to waste time I head straight for the Northern Line, getting onto LU51505 + LU51506 to Waterloo.

Now, there are engineering works going on between Havant and Portsmouth, meaning it's a replacement bus service for that section. I subscribe to the view that I've paid for a train journey so I expect a train, and therefore decide to take the route to Portsmouth via Basingstoke, Winchester and Fareham, picking up a couple of stations along the way.

At Waterloo it's straight onto 455704 to Clapham Junction, and then it's onto 450007 + 450005 to Woking. Another short wait here sees 444018 + 444024 pull in to take me to Basingstoke.

26944746740_5ba30a4178.jpg
27220161545_881001979e.jpg

I use some spare time here to grab a caffeine fix and a sandwich for lunch, before heading back to the station and onto 444013 + 444043. I have agreed to meet a mate in Portsmouth for a drink, so figure I get one of the hourly served shacks on the line down towards Southampton. I opt to bail at Shawford.

26944747110_546b81d380.jpg

This was an excellent decision. It's a really nice little village. It was warm, the sun was out and the presence of a pub immediately opposite the station entrance with tables outside meant it was one of the more delightful hour-long festers I've had to endure. When it's time to hit the rails again it's onto 444015 and 444030. 444015 is ditched at Eastleigh as 444030 runs straight through to Fratton, where the journey ends for me today.

There's not that much to report on the way back the day after: 450006 from Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo, then Northern Line trains LU51603 + LU51604 to Euston, followed by 221142 back to Crewe.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Bridge at Shawford is a good pub, I've had many of a meal there when I was younger.

Did you stand near where Victor Meldrew was killed? ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah, but 390151 does ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I had no idea this was a thing!!

One Foot in the Grave, the pavement around the station entrance is where he was knocked over in a hit & run, a small claim to fame for Shawford :lol:

Quite a good run on the 390, I'm guessing it's timed for a 2-track railway south of Milton Keynes?

Status
Not open for further replies.