• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe 08 move in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

89-763-733

In the mid to late 80s hauled trains ex Cardiff often terminated in Crewe platform 7. These sometimes got a replacement loco at the other end but on occaision were shunt released by an 08. Many enthusiasts took advantage of this to get 08s in the book, myself included, and I recall around TWENTY! people on the train. Nobody seemed to object to people bashing 08s in this way. Does anyone else remember this or recall BR staff or possibly BTP objecting?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DiscoStu

In the mid to late 80s hauled trains ex Cardiff often terminated in Crewe platform 7. These sometimes got a replacement loco at the other end but on occaision were shunt released by an 08. Many enthusiasts took advantage of this to get 08s in the book, myself included, and I recall around TWENTY! people on the train. Nobody seemed to object to people bashing 08s in this way. Does anyone else remember this or recall BR staff or possibly BTP objecting?

I did this a handful of times and never had any grief.

sjj2112

I was another one that regularly took advantage of this. 08 haulage and a chance to see what was lurking out of platform view on CD.

The Big Boo

I did this a handful of times and never had any grief.

"Super Shunter" didn't like it at Sheffield when the leeds-poole service would arrive on plat 5 and then get hauled back out by an 08, to be then shunted onto the back of the 07.52 Newcastle (Scum)- Poole service.

I once nipped in the bog and flushed it onto the ****.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
was there not a scheduled 08 haulage train. Was it at Doncaster? Shunting some Hull portion onto a london train?

89-763-733

Can anyone confirm what date(s) 08 907 worked the Crewe move? I definitely had it, probably in 1986, but cannot find a note of it

Status
Not open for further replies.