• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe and Carlisle Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemy

Does anyone know if the waiting rooms at these stations are open overnight. I would like to spend a night at each of them I'm the near future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe Crewe is, I'm told there are sometimes, for example, people arriving from the last Glasgow train one evening who then sleep in there waiting for the 04xx Cardiff service the next morning. I'd have to double check however as it's a long time since I was told that. Carlisle I'm not certain on but I would, at a guess, say it is open overnight.

headshot119

Established Member
I believe Crewe is, I'm told there are sometimes, for example, people arriving from the last Glasgow train one evening who then sleep in there waiting for the 04xx Cardiff service the next morning. I'd have to double check however as it's a long time since I was told that. Carlisle I'm not certain on but I would, at a guess, say it is open overnight.

I visited Carlisle on a Friday night last summer, once the sleepers had been through the station was locked up for the night. (Embarrassingly including me still being in it)

Condor7

I am certainly aware of enthusiast who have stayed on the platform overnight, and I do know the station staff have left the toilets on platform one open for them (which also has a nice heater) :)

Whether the station itself has been locked though after a certain time I cannot say.

headshot119

Established Member
I was let out once I managed to find a member of staff. (Vegatating with a camera over a WCRC 47 in the middle of the night is not something I'm going to try again. :lol:)

Established Member
Last time I was at Carlisle overnight, I'd arrived around half 11ish and one of the station staff approached me, whilst standing on the South end of the platform and asked me if I was staying overnight, he was pleasant enough, when I replied yes, he just asked me to inform someone, next time I visit. Consequently I had to seek him out for the call of nature and was told to use the staff loo, near the North end of the station. I was also told, I could sit on the pendo if I wanted.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Last time I was at Carlisle overnight, I'd arrived around half 11ish and one of the station staff approached me, whilst standing on the South end of the platform and asked me if I was staying overnight, he was pleasant enough, when I replied yes, he just asked me to inform someone, next time I visit. Consequently I had to seek him out for the call of nature and was told to use the staff loo, near the North end of the station. I was also told, I could sit on the pendo if I wanted.

A good attitude to enthusiasts i think. Very refreshing to hear this.

6Gman

Established Member
There was a happy time when Crewe's buffet stayed open all night!

Mind you, so did Holyhead's!

ole man

That was when the post was sent by train, used to be full even at 2 in morning, not sure if there left open anymore as there not staffed.

Boothby97

Established Member
I visited Carlisle on a Friday night last summer, once the sleepers had been through the station was locked up for the night. (Embarrassingly including me still being in it)

Well I stayed on the station from 1900 on a Monday to 0556 the next morning, the doors weren't locked as I went to the ticket office at approx 0300 and the front doors opened. I'm going to stay overnight there this summer (late July) and also visit Eastleigh. The only problem is NO SLEEP :(
Thanks, Sam

trainophile

Established Member
Had 3/4 hour to wait at Crewe today, and found the waiting room on Platform 5 is closed for what looks like a fairly major refurb. Went over the bridge to wait in the cafeteria on P6, only to find that is being gutted too! I was able to sit in what I presume is the Bar area to the left of the servery, where the chairs were very comfortable and no-one bothered me to buy something, but I don't know whether that would be open all night.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I was allowed to sleep over at Carlisle some years ago (with a rucksack, tent and camping equipment in tow!). The station manager was initially reluctant but I was tired and emotional (in both senses) so he allowed it, as long as I just stuck to the waiting room and toilets.

Good man him.

Status
Not open for further replies.