• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe-Derby Line fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
hi. Just some quick advice. I’m travelling Longport-Derby, and then onwards to London (Euston is shut) I have advance tickets from Derby onwards already. But for Longport-Derby I’ll buy on the train today. But I was just looking up how much it is.
There is a “via Uttoxeter” fare at £6.60 (£1.90 child) with a F&F Railcard.
There is a “via Tamworth” fare at £17.70 (£5.10 child) with a F&F Railcard.
There is an “Any permitted” fare at £6.60 (£1.90 child) with a F&F Railcard.
One would assume “any permitted” would cover both of the above routes, as otherwise what’s the point of it? In which case though, why would anyone ever buy the “via Tamworth” ticket? Equally why buy a “via Uttoxeter” one when you get more options with an “any permitted”? Or are “via Uttoxeter” and “any permitted” just the same, and despite the more promising name, “any permitted” doesn’t really mean anything that “via Uttoxeter” doesn’t?
Of course, if buying on the train it doesn’t really matter, as you are then committed to that route. But if EMT cancel the train (not unheard of) would an “any permitted” be valid via Tamworth?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
hi. Just some quick advice. I’m travelling Longport-Derby, and then onwards to London (Euston is shut) I have advance tickets from Derby onwards already. But for Longport-Derby I’ll buy on the train today. But I was just looking up how much it is.
There is a “via Uttoxeter” fare at £6.60 (£1.90 child) with a F&F Railcard.
There is a “via Tamworth” fare at £17.70 (£5.10 child) with a F&F Railcard.
There is an “Any permitted” fare at £6.60 (£1.90 child) with a F&F Railcard.
One would assume “any permitted” would cover both of the above routes, as otherwise what’s the point of it? In which case though, why would anyone ever buy the “via Tamworth” ticket?
via Tamworth is not a permitted route.
Equally why buy a “via Uttoxeter” one when you get more options with an “any permitted”? Or are “via Uttoxeter” and “any permitted” just the same, and despite the more promising name, “any permitted” doesn’t really mean anything that “via Uttoxeter” doesn’t?
I can only guess that the 'Any Permitted' will be abolished soon, in line with the rail industry's policy.
Of course, if buying on the train it doesn’t really matter, as you are then committed to that route. But if EMT cancel the train (not unheard of) would an “any permitted” be valid via Tamworth?
It's not valid via Tamworth but in practice it would likely be accepted during disruption, even if no official ticket acceptance is in place. The problem would be that even if West Midlands Trains allow you to travel to Tamworth, it is unknown how a CrossCountry Guard may react.

If it was me, I'd go for it. The worst that can happen is you would be charged a £5.45 excess (half the difference between the price paid @ £6.60 and the appropriate fare @ £17.70)

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Thank you. As the “via Uttoxeter” & “Any permitted” are the same price I guess they mean them to be the same ticket.
The sensible solution is to surely make the “Any Permitted” the same price as the “via Tamworth” and make via Tamworth a permitted route. Anyone then travelling direct via Derby still pays the same and is unaffected, but you can pay more and have slightly more journey opportunities.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It's not valid via Tamworth but in practice it would likely be accepted during disruption, even if no official ticket acceptance is in place. The problem would be that even if West Midlands Trains allow you to travel to Tamworth, it is unknown how a CrossCountry Guard may react.

If it was me, I'd go for it. The worst that can happen is you would be charged a £5.45 excess (half the difference between the price paid @ £6.60 and the appropriate fare @ £17.70)

OK, different question. There is some disruption on the line already today. Who knows if my train will get affected!
We are booked onto the 20:02 from Derby, and onwards on the Night Riviera to Cornwall. If the 18:29 from Longport is cancelled, what’s the best option? If known in advance I can travel earlier, or from another station (it’s free parking at Longport!) Alsager would be my second choice if it makes the LNR trains easier.

The_Train

Established Member
OK, different question. There is some disruption on the line already today. Who knows if my train will get affected!
We are booked onto the 20:02 from Derby, and onwards on the Night Riviera to Cornwall. If the 18:29 from Longport is cancelled, what’s the best option? If known in advance I can travel earlier, or from another station (it’s free parking at Longport!) Alsager would be my second choice if it makes the LNR trains easier.

Looking on RTT the current Crewe-Derby service is running to time as have all other services on the line today (except for the cancelled 1537 Derby to Crewe - train crew issue if RTT is to be believed). The next one out of Derby is also at the platform waiting to go so not sure what disruption there is?

If you're that worried then just plan for the service an hour before at Longport and have an extra coffee at Derby

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The Derby-Crewe and return was cancelled, apparently lack of train crew. I’m just worried they’ll still be short for the 16:41 from Derby and my return!

Status
Not open for further replies.