• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe extra OLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

I noticed there are double or triple cables for platforms 5 and 6. Is this because of the high starting current for class 390s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I assume it is because of OLE wires diverging at junctions just north of the road overbridge, the ends being tied off/tensioned further south.

Jan

And a high starting current would rather surprise me: With AC stock (all the more modern-ish three-phase AC), current draw is simply proportional to the power being used, and the power in turn is tractive effort times speed. So even with a high tractive effort, at low speeds the train doesn't actually require much power and therefore current.
It's different on old-style DC stock, where motor voltage and power is controlled via resistors and you therefore end up drawing a large current from the OHLE/third rail even at low speeds, but initially burn most of the power in the resistors.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Certainly there in 1988 as have a photo of 87101 leaving with a passenger train and the 3 wires are evident in the photo.

59CosG95

Established Member
I noticed there are double or triple cables for platforms 5 and 6. Is this because of the high starting current for class 390s?
The OLE there certainly seems to cope with current EMU volumes (390s and all others); while Auto Transformer Feeding is in place between the Home Counties & Whitmore (Staffs), and between Weaver Jn & the Preston area (IIRC), the Crewe area still seems to have Return Conductors, although ATF Insulators are up and potentially awaiting wires in the Chorlton & Madeley areas to the south of Crewe.

twpsaesneg

I assume it is because of OLE wires diverging at junctions just north of the road overbridge, the ends being tied off/tensioned further south.
This is the correct answer.
There is nowhere convenient to anchor the wires in the station area, so they run through and anchor outside of it, so 3 wire runs through the platforms themselves.

Elecman

Established Member
The OLE there certainly seems to cope with current EMU volumes (390s and all others); while Auto Transformer Feeding is in place between the Home Counties & Whitmore (Staffs), and between Weaver Jn & the Preston area (IIRC), the Crewe area still seems to have Return Conductors, although ATF Insulators are up and potentially awaiting wires in the Chorlton & Madeley areas to the south of Crewe.
Waiting for the new Crewe ATFeeder station to be commissioned, there are AT sectioning units at Betley Road going south towards Whitmore and Winsford going North towards Weaver

Status
Not open for further replies.