• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe/Manchester/Preston/Carlisle [Freight Request]

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

Please could someone (or more if it helps :D) tell me where abouts in the NW is best for freight action?

I'm afraid I have no access to Freightmaster online, and would probably go one Saturday or Sunday during Summer, when I have time off. (If such a time actually comes)

I know Tamworth is a great spot, but was thinking about going north, possibly towards Crewe (although I know they don't normally run through the station?) , Manchester (How busy is Trafford Park/Oxford Road/Piccadilly?) , Preston/Carlisle (Same as Manchester- How busy is it? What comes through?)

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paulo

Crewe has a huge freight yard just south of the main station im not sure how to access it though maybe check google earth to get an idea of the area but you will find a wide variety of stock there, some old stuff too loads of 37s (if they are still there) or you could always visit the railway age they have some there too thats open to the public all year round.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Crewe has a huge freight yard just south of the main station im not sure how to access it though maybe check google earth to get an idea of the area but you will find a wide variety of stock there, some old stuff too loads of 37s (if they are still there) or you could always visit the railway age they have some there too thats open to the public all year round.

Yeah, Basford Hall is huge!

I may look into that one day

paulo

there is a rumour (posted in the Crewe Chronicle) that the station is to move to the site in the future but im not sure when this will happen, I would say the best way to get to the site is prob from Gresty Road thats where the main freightliner depot is.

Jord

I would say Preston or Carlisle (I'm doing an all nighter on thursday :D) would be best for freight because Manchester Piccadily Has nothing or very little ad Crewe most freight runs underneath the station.

Hope this helps.

Jord

David

Established Member
No chance of getting access to Basford Hall I'm afraid, unless you work there of course. Warrington BQ is a good place for freight though.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
No chance of getting access to Basford Hall I'm afraid, unless you work there of course. Warrington BQ is a good place for freight though.

I would obviously not try to tresspass onto railway property, and would just be looking to possibly get a line-side location, which is good to photograph trains at.

(Unless you know that there isn't any way of getting a photo from a public place)

Ascot

Established Member
Warrington Bank Quay is spotter central. Every time i'v been past there it's been packed with cameras and big book of numbers so your bound to see a fair few.

The Snap

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly has very little (only 92s really!). Preston and Carlisle are OK for freight, but Crewe is better. Warrington Bank Quay is a freight haven - half the stuff that goes through there is freight! Everything at WBQ - 60, 66, 67, (86?), 90, 92, and if you're lucky, 37s and 20s.

tpe

would say carlisle was there for 30 mins waiting for ride back to manchester...

waiting i seen about 5 class 66 freightliners

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Warrington sounds very attractive to me.

Thanks to all the replies so far, they've all been very helpful.

I probably won't go up to Carlisle, because I'd like to alot more than just 66's.

Mintona

Established Member
I'd recommend Carlisle, though I haven't tried Warrington Bank Quay. On the other side there's Doncaster if you like sheds.
Carlisle is more than just sheds, you will see plenty of 86s, 90s and 92s there if you wait long enough. Plus the DRS heritage stuff that gets chucked out of Kingmoor.

Status
Not open for further replies.