• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe on a Sunday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovietGaz

First thread so go easy if it's in the wrong place please...

I'm getting the train home from Cardiff next Sunday (29th) and I have an hour wait between services at Crewe between 21:21 - 22:29.

Is there anything good to see freight wise while I'm waiting? Or will I just be staring at the departure board for an hour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
I saw the Pretendolino today at Crewe :D Being dragged by an unmodified grey Class 90 in one of the Railfreight liveries.

Class 57 Thunderbird Lady Penelope was parked up at Stockport as well with the doors open.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I don't think there there will be freight, if anything. A pendo might rip through and a 350 might creep in but I doubt there will be much at that time of day on a Sunday

Phil6219

Yeah the Pretendelino was working a relief train from Preston to London Euston (for the golf).

I was going to go for a ride on it but ended up taking a duff for a drive - result!

Phil 8-)

Phil6219

Lady Penelope?

Nope, D1501 on the ELR :D

As these tours are going to be running for a few weeks (not including this weekend I'm hoping to see them pass near my house (from Astley Level Crossing). I did however manage to get 46233 Duchess of Sutherland on Saturday whilst on my way back from the East Lancs.

Phil 8-)

Rugd1022

If there is any freight knocking about you won't see it but you might just hear some if bypassing the station area on the goods lines which dive under the mainlines.

There could well be a lot of ballast work / engineering jobs working in and out of Basford Hall though, to the south.

table38

Established Member
If there is any freight knocking about you won't see it but you might just hear some if bypassing the station area on the goods lines which dive under the mainlines.

If you walk north up Platform 12 and onto the footbridge (follow the car park signs), you can see the independent lines (assuming there is anything to see :))

Worth a walk anyway as there is often something interesting parked in the holding siding between 12 and 11.

Boothby97

Established Member
Don't know what the shunting is like at Crewe DMD on a Sunday, but yesterday morning 47847 and 47769 came into the station with 2 Mark 2 Coaches before taking them into Crewe DMD. There is a line of Class 56s (56031/038/069/074/103/106) outside Crewe DMD visble from the station as well.

Hope this helps, Sam

SovietGaz

Sounds like pot luck then. I will have a look up 11 & 12 and at the DMD and just keep my eyes open then. Thanks for all your help.

Rugd1022

If you've enough time, it's well worth just having a wander round the station itself... it can still be quite an atmospheric place on it's own, without any trains in sight.... it's not that difficult to imagine the sort of activity which went on during the night at such a large mainline station once upon a time... the sleepers, parcels and newspaper trains which used to call, and the associated noise and bustle that went with them.... ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/1452455591/in/set-72157606853423254

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/1453294822/in/set-72157606853423254

SovietGaz

I enjoyed my time at Crewe last night, plenty of 9 car Pendos came through and a couple of Super-Voyagers as well.

Also a couple of EMUs I don't get to see back home.

The station was a great place to walk around, kept me plenty busy for an hour.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
If you've enough time, it's well worth just having a wander round the station itself... it can still be quite an atmospheric place on it's own, without any trains in sight.... it's not that difficult to imagine the sort of activity which went on during the night at such a large mainline station once upon a time... the sleepers, parcels and newspaper trains which used to call, and the associated noise and bustle that went with them.... ;)

Brings it back I used to meet the London news train at Crewe,sort what was going up the coast to wholesalers, & travel on it to Chester & Rhyl, ex Crewe 0208 every Sunday morning, the bugbear was it conveyed a passenger coach, then joined up at Chester with the 0218 ex vic news , this passenger coach with rare a pax forced use of platform two at Rhyl thus tons of Sunday papers had to be manhandled over the footbridge to platform one for distribution,
then there was the little mail TPO ex Rhyl 2205 & its return the big mail TPO to Holyhead ex Crewe around 0200. Crewe was a very busy station in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.