• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe Station ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
No.. I find the times they are most likely to be manned 8am - 9.30am, and 6pm - 9pm. About 90% chance of being manned at those times, and 50% chance outside those times.

That is weekdays. ALmost certain to be manned on a Saturday morning.

mikestone1952

Frequently in use even when the ticket office is shut - including at 17.00 tonight!
;
On the other hand it would appear that they are not permitted to be single manned as they seem to be unmanned for odd periods.

itsonlyme

But you need two people, one to deal with passengers, and one to watch the TV.

They seem to disappear for about 20 minutes between 10:00 and 11:00. Presumably for a coffee break.

These barriers seem to me to be an absolute waste of money. Why not just employ two people at minimum wage to inspect/collect tickets in the old fashioned way, but accompanying those without to the booking office.

scrapy

Established Member
Virgins franchise agreement only requires them to be in use at peak times but doesn't define what peak times are.

craigybagel

Established Member
Frequently in use even when the ticket office is shut - including at 17.00 tonight!
;
On the other hand it would appear that they are not permitted to be single manned as they seem to be unmanned for odd periods.

Pretty sure I've seen it single manned.....although to be fair the barriers in the subway are almost always unmanned when operational!

shyanthony

They are manned until at least 9pm

I normally change at Crewe around 8.25pm and they always seem to be manned when popping out for a cigareett before continuing back to London.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.