• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe station,whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respite

Does anyone know exactly how much of the overall roof is going at Crewe? All I hear from people at work & from network rail is that the whole roof across all platforms is coming down & probably being replaced by a toytown style looking thing similar to the north end of platform 12.

I have no idea how they are managing to get away with this to what I consider to be a very historic building,surely it's listed?But after what they managed to do to Wolverhampton low level I'm really not surprised. I just hope that Crewe will not end up in a Virgin trains toytown style finish.:angry1:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kestrel

The place is a dive!! so anything is an improvement on whats there at the mo!!

AlexS

Established Member
Ya could say at least something happened with Wolves Low Level at last - it's been rotting away for so long, with the Metro taking away any chance of a reopening, and at least part of the structure will be sympathetically restored. Current area is a dangerous hellhole.

Crewe is much the same, however!

Respite

Crikey I cant believe you all think like that.Yes Crewe & wolves low level have been allowed to rot away but is that really an excuse to bulldoze the thing away?? Glad that all people don't think like that. In the early 90's manchester piccadilly was a complete sh*thole,look at it now! Am I the only one that appreciates the workmanship that went into these places,it doesnt take much to look beyond the decay & see what is there. I personally feel that the railway suffers from too many nondescript concrete pieces of cr*p design as stations already,why add to that?

Oh & as for Wolverhampton Low level being sympathetically restored,are You having a laugh???They have destroyed it!! The metro could of always been re routed & the overcrowded stour valley lines could of been helped out by using the western lines.Shortsighted plans will be this countrys downfall in transport,the railway handles more passengers now than for a long time (Nothing to do with new trains etc as much as virgin would like to tell You),Just the fact that there are so many cars/lorries on the road that You physically just cant move.So as it's growing then lets take away any chance to allow it to handle anymore increase!! Sorry but that seems a tad dumb to me.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like Crewe! Don't like the c**p on platform 12, but hey.

After they ruined Wolves Low Level, they can do anything I reckon!:evil2:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That sounds awful GhostCav. I agree, our railway heritage should be preserved and icons such as Crewe should not simply be destroyed, but should be preserved and restored. Isn't this just like with stations like Euston? Everyone hated the old, but now they hate the new even more than the old! In 20 years time there will probably be a forum like this with loads of people moaning about how we shouldn't have destroyed Crewe :lol:

At my local main station, Hull, the original station building is being restored after years of neglect, including the demolition of an awful 20th century office building that hid the original station frontage. The crumbling trainshed has been restored, with new roofing to brighten up the concourse and platforms once again! Even at Cottingham, the original booking and station master's office has recently been restored inside after years of neglect. Not sure what it will be used for but better than laying there deralict :)

Mintona

Established Member
In my opinion, the top of platform 12 looks rather stylish, a nice red finish on it and I would have no quarrels if they were to paint the rest of the station like that!

metrocammel

But then look at Rugby, it was another fine station at one time, with a once very attractive glazed roof, however this was left to rot, and was brutally torn down by VT..... and now after VT spending £££ on a naff new roof, it looks like the station will be completely demolished, to reduce the speed restrictions in the area. I know this example has already struck a chord with Nick W...... to Yorkies' despair though.... ;)

Crikey I cant believe you all think like that.Yes Crewe & wolves low level have been allowed to rot away but is that really an excuse to bulldoze the thing away?? Glad that all people don't think like that. In the early 90's manchester piccadilly was a complete sh*thole,look at it now! Am I the only one that appreciates the workmanship that went into these places,it doesnt take much to look beyond the decay & see what is there.

I completely agree with you..... I think it is criminal what they did to Wolves Low Level, which stayed remarkably intact for many years... Surely they could have been a bit more sympathetic than they are being.... Crewe is much of a muchness, they started brutally attacking P12 several years ago (I remember when T22 was working, most had already gone.... including the 60's-retro BR "CREWE" neon lights :( , and now the rest of the attack seems to be starting in ernest....... Im sure it will be another characterless WCML station soon, joining the likes of Stafford and Wigan.....
Piccadilly on the other hand looks wonderful now, well the Victorian trainshed at least, the 1960's "progress" ruined the facade of Picc (or London Road) but it looks much better now than I remember it being back in the mid-90's..... Now for the regeneration/refurb of Manchester Mayfield station.... which there have been several rumours that it will be re-opened as a passenger station to ease Picc..... could be interesting.....

paulo

Judging by proposed plans the site of Crewe station is actually being moved further south to where the Basford freight yard is or so the Crewe chronicle seems to believe. The station as it is now is pretty old and dated and to be honest its not the best thing to be greeted by when you first enter the town.

Snapper

Established Member
Hang on a minute - wasn't the redevelopment work at Rugby carried out by Network Rail - not VT?

Crewe may fall into limbo for some time yet as NR now have their own plans which conflict with the Crewe gateway proposals. There's talk of NR building two different stations at Crewe, although the proposals don't seem very popular with everyone else.

Watch this space...

Karl Bough

Hello everyone, here goes my first post on this forum.

I have also read about the proposed new Crewe Station with much interest. I am generally in favour of the new station, although even if it is authorised, it will not be happening anytime soon - probably in the next decade. I think there are plans for comprehensive resignalling at Crewe and Stafford in about 2015/2016.

The main points made are that the new station would be better suited to higher-speed traffic flows, particularly for the non-stop Pendolinos, of which there will be more after December 2008.

Karl Bough

By new proposals, do you mean the Council led plan or the NR led plan?

I was referring to Network Rail's plans, which seem to clash with the Crewe Gateway project, although I suspect that NR's plans will prevail - the new station would effectively be an M6 J16 parkway station, with access onto the new A500 dual carriageway and a park-and-ride facility.

Smudger

if they build a new station at or near basford hall wouldnt that be good for the like of us as we be able to see whats going in and out of the yard hopfully,

dont get me wrong i like the crewe lol

CosherB

Established Member
What about the line to Shrewesbury? That joins the WCML south of Crewe, but well north of Basford Hall, so could not be served by a new station in that location.

Also, a station in that location would not serve the town of Crewe, it being quite a distance south of the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.