Crewe to Derby on Sunday.

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mugby, 13 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

Sometime next month I have to travel from Crewe to Derby on a Sunday, preferably before mid-day. In view of the fact that there are no direct trains until after 14.00, would a return ticket be valid to travel back via Tamworth?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. crehld

crehld Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

All Crewe to Derby fares are annoyingly routed via Stoke on Trent. You might like to consider a split at Stafford.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2015
  4. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Going via Stoke-on-Trent doesn't actually preclude going via Tamworth.

What's valid, what is reasonable, and what you are likely to get away with are things you are hopefully able to judge well here.

5. kieron

kieron Established Member

In general, a "via Stoke-on-Trent" ticket isn't valid on a route which doesn't go through Stoke.

If you're looking to travel Crewe-Tamworth-Derby-Stoke-Crewe, a Crewe-Burton-on-Trent return is one option which uses "any permitted" tickets. You should avoid trains which go through Burton without stopping, but I don't think that's a worry on Sunday mornings.

6. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

The reason I asked was because a LM service from Crewe to Tamworth does go via Stoke although that is not exactly what is meant by the words of the routing.

I will have a look at the Burton option though, thanks.

7. kieron

kieron Established Member

Sorry, of course it does.

Unfortunately, I can only see two valid routes for a Crewe-Derby ticket. One (the shortest route, and the one EMT use) is as shown on map EM here. The other, on map NJ, goes via Tamworth, but not Stoke-on-Trent (so could be useful with a Whitchurch-Derby ticket).

Crewe-Tamworth (Tamworth being a routeing point Burton-on-Trent is associated with) gives a lot more options, including one via Stoke. It is more expensive, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.