• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe to Littleborough - Metrolink validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just a quick query:

Crewe to Littleborough Anytime Day Return, would this include Metrolink use from Piccadilly to Victoria or not? I have a weird feeling it isn't on tickets wholly in the Greater Manchester area, but those from outside it are. Northern's Twitter team say no to Metrolink connections on it.

However, I know you guys are experts on these things!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
Crewe to Littleborough Anytime Day Return, would this include Metrolink use from Piccadilly to Victoria or not? I have a weird feeling it isn't on tickets wholly in the Greater Manchester area, but those from outside it are.

Other way round. Crewe to Littleborough is not valid on Metrolink. Stockport, say, to Littleborough is.

Adam0984

What Sheff said, to get the metrolink transfer you would have split within the GM boundary

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
You could also travel via Salford Crescent in little extra time for much of the day to avoid paying for Metrolink.

NB the ticket is an Anytime Return rather than an Anytime Day Return.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for the ticket name correction, I was in the middle of watching Indian Hill Railways at the time so wasn't totally focused.

Interesting, forgot we could go via Salford Crescent. I'll have a look later at the times for such a move, more likely to be score a winner on Metrolink mind so I might just do that!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
You could also use the free Metroshuttle bus (route 1 or 2) from Piccadilly Stn. to Victoria Stn. if that appeals, runs approximately every ten mins. perhaps a tad longer than the tram but at least it's free.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
We ended up paying for the tram, £3 for both of us which allowed me to score 4 trams for sight this morning and a winner tram for haulage this evening so happy days!

Established Member
It goes back to BR days... BR were asked if they would fund city zone travel from the general Manchester Stations and Routed-Manchester ticket pot. They said no, so that's how it has sat all the time since. The exception of course are fares within the county which the pte secured and the 'Metrolink' destination tickets which are effectively an add on eg London Euston to Bury MTLK.

geoffk

Established Member
But Crewe to, say, Dover, would be valid on London Underground; is that correct?

Haywain

Veteran Member
But Crewe to, say, Dover, would be valid on London Underground; is that correct?
That is correct. But it relies on an historic agreement between London Underground and British Rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.