• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry1963

I caught the 1247 from Liverpool to Stafford today ,we got just outside Crewe and the train manager announced that the train was being taken out of service at Crewe, and they were putting us on another train ,when I got off train a load of people were waiting to get on and I noticed the train was going to Edinburgh, I got on this other train which developed a fault halfway between Stafford and Crewe , I have never had this happen to me before having to change trains like this so god knows what was going on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The Pendolino working the Edinburgh service developed a fault with the GSMR in the cab at the North end of the train, which is why the decision to swap the trains over at Crewe was made by Avanti.

Garry1963

Then we developed a fault

We broke down halfway between Crewe and Stafford and we were just under half hour late getting into Stafford which wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t had to change

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
GSM-R is safety critical equipment though, it's the communication device with which train drivers communicate with signallers and vice versa. If the GSM-R on a train no longer functions this is a safety risk: emergency calls ("Stop the train NOW") come in via the GSM-R.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Then we developed a fault

We broke down halfway between Crewe and Stafford and we were just under half hour late getting into Stafford which wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t had to change
No it wouldn't, but then again the Edinburgh-bound passengers would have all been severely delayed because without the set swap they would have been going nowhere.

Sounds to me like an excellent service recovery move. Unfortunately no one was to know that the train would develop a further fault, and you were very unlucky to have been caught in it.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Welcome to the Forums, Gary.

Set swaps happen all the time for many sound safety, operational and customer service reasons.

47296lastduff

I've lost count of how many times I have been on a Cardiff to Holyhead train, reached Chester, and been told to swap to another unit. This always seems to be in the evening.

miami

Established Member
Imagine if the original train had developed the fault instead, would you be posting about a lucky escape?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've lost count of how many times I have been on a Cardiff to Holyhead train, reached Chester, and been told to swap to another unit. This always seems to be in the evening.

This is because the 175 Depot happens to be at Chester and sets have to be swapped for Maintenance/Repair

krus_aragon

Established Member

This is because the 175 Depot happens to be at Chester and sets have to be swapped for Maintenance/Repair
But it's particularly unwelcome when the Chester Races are on, and the drunk revellers have already filled the substitute unit before you pull in!

Status
Not open for further replies.