• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe-Wrenbury tight connection - buy on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
Folks,

Am heading up from London to Wrenbury in a few weeks. The only train I could reasonably book was the 13:33 (now booked) EUS-CRE, but this means only a 4 minute connection for the train to Wrenbury which, of course, was in bookable and therefore risky.

However... The booked platforms are 6 and 7 respectively, so it might be just doable, and if I miss, I won't hang around for two hours to wait for the next train, I'll just get a taxi.

So, if I can quickly locate the guard/TM/whatever-they-have-on-this-route and ask, do you think they'd let me buy on board to avoid having to throw away pre-purchased tickets should I miss it?

All help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Folks,

Am heading up from London to Wrenbury in a few weeks. The only train I could reasonably book was the 13:33 (now booked) EUS-CRE, but this means only a 4 minute connection for the train to Wrenbury which, of course, was in bookable and therefore risky.

However... The booked platforms are 6 and 7 respectively, so it might be just doable, and if I miss, I won't hang around for two hours to wait for the next train, I'll just get a taxi.

So, if I can quickly locate the guard/TM/whatever-they-have-on-this-route and ask, do you think they'd let me buy on board to avoid having to throw away pre-purchased tickets should I miss it?

All help appreciated.

You mean on the local service?

I see no reason why not, it is not a penalty fare area and you are buying the standard open single. Don't expect railcards ect, but this is a regional operator, you can show them your original ticket as well to prove how you got to the station. EMT don't care if you do this from Newark North Gate. There are a lot of people that get dropped off one way and take the train back the other.

stut

Established Member
Oh yes, on the local service. I wouldn't rock up to Euston and try it...

stut

Established Member
Ah, in that case... I wonder how many business folk do turn up at Euston to buy a FOS to Glasgow and are welcomed to buy on board with open arms ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
Ah, in that case... I wonder how many business folk do turn up at Euston to buy a FOS to Glasgow and are welcomed to buy on board with open arms ;)

Can't comment about Virgin, but on East Coast one of the things that ****ed off the train crew was the loss of commision. The price of the SOR was quite nice thanks, and if you were travelling on a train which it was the only ticket valid I am sure the commutor prefered this option as well rather that queue at the ticket off, queue at the barrier to get on then queue again to get off!

I know the risk was of course that someone could travel between Newcastle and London for free! But that hasn't changed with the barriers.

island

Veteran Member

Who knows?

I have bought on board on Virgin when I was rushing, and the train manager was happy for himself.

All Line Rover

Established Member
EVERYONE buys tickets on board that service! So you've got absolutely no need to worry. :) The guard comes through the (single) carriage as soon as train departs, and has usually sold tickets to everyone that needs one by Nantwich.

I'm sure you are aware that 4 minutes is not an official connection at Crewe. But providing you alight at the southern-middle part of the train (on a 9-car Pendolino, most likely First Class Coach G or H) you will line up right next to the train to Wrenbury. Providing you're on time, you definitely won't miss it.

Bellwater

The worst you can expect is to be charged standard fare.

Tend to get a lot of people from Crewe with railcards out wanting singles to Stoke. Never get the discount.

stut

Established Member
Thanks all for the input and local knowledge.

I think I can live with paying £4.20 instead of £2.80 if it comes to it. Although somehow I'd be more annoyed about wasting the fare by not making the connection. No idea why :)

exile

Established Member
You could always wait for the train in a nearby pub and spend the money saved on the taxi fare

stut

Established Member
Heh, it's a nice idea (although admittedly the saving wouldn't be that huge), but I'm rather time constrained. Two hours late just wouldn't work!

martinsh

Established Member
Folks,

All help appreciated.

I'll eat my hat if you have a problem buying from the guard on this train !

However,....

1) I can't find a 1333 Euston - Crewe anywhere !

2) Nor do Euston - Crewe trains normally use platform 6. Normal platforms are
2 or 3 (LM stopper), 5 (Manchester via Wilmslow) or 11 (Chester / Holyhead)

If you go into 11, you should be alright as the stopper won't be able to leave from 7 until you have arrived !

stut

Established Member
The 1333 does exist, it carries on to Lancaster, and is a Friday-only relief train (I have another thread on some booking weirdness on this service...)

It certainly seems to be booked for P6, perhaps as P5 appears to have the MAN service that overtakes it, followed by the LM BHM service.

Status
Not open for further replies.