• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
One bright spark of news from the England Lions defeat in their last tour match was that Liam Livingstone of Lancashire scored 105 in the first innings and 140 not out in the second innings.

If we lose him to England (and he's a higher FC batting average than Haseem Hameed) then after Haseem and Jimmy Anderson, we've no-one left :(

I've still got a bat if someone can lend me a helmet :p

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If we lose him to England (and he's a higher FC batting average than Haseem Hameed) then after Haseem and Jimmy Anderson, we've no-one left :(

I've still got a bat if someone can lend me a helmet :p

Think what Yorkshire must feel like then, although Rashid is unlikely to play in home tests.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Fourth Test Match (Day 3) at Dharamsala

India resumed on 248-6 and thanks to a knock of 63 from Jajeda, they were all out for 332, a first innings lead of 32.

Australia were soon in trouble in their second innings and proceeded to lose wickets at a regular rate and were dismissed for only 137. Three of the Indian bowlers had good returns:-
Yadav 3-29
Jajeda 3-24
Ashwin 3-29

In the final few minutes, India closed on 19-0, needing another 87 to win with two days to spare.

Pakenhamtrain

Looks like CA are changing the rules a bit for Junior cricket:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-...ssroots-war-intensifies/8415258?section=sport
Cricket Australia to transform the junior game as grassroots battle intensifies

By Patrick Galloway

Junior cricket in Australia is changing.

After a successful pilot, Cricket Australia has announced it will roll out a set of significant rule changes across the country designed to improve enjoyment levels and participation rates of its junior participants.

A pitch four metres shorter than the traditional 20 metre version will be introduced for certain age groups.

The number of players on the field will be reduced from 11 to seven players for some and it will be coupled with smaller boundaries, capped innings and less overall playing time.

Anthony Warner coached the under-11 Cubs side at Yarraville Cricket Club, and was part of Cricket Australia's pilot at the start of last season.

"Once the season got going and people knew the rules a bit better the kids really enjoyed it," Warner said.

Over 600 teams were involved in Cricket Australia's experiment and the results surprised even the naysayers. Warner said some found it confusing at first but the new format quickly won over both players and parents.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Looking at both the Cambridge University innings and the Lancashire second innings, has there been "any devil" in that wicket?

A combination of Jimmy Anderson working out his frustration at not being interviewed for the England captaincy job and Lancs reversing their batting order for the 2nd innings, I'd have thought. Concerned to read Hameed retired injured early in the Lancs 1st innings and didn't reappear, though. Any news of him?

sk688

Speaking of Cricket , the IPL is finally underway now. Although 2 of the main teams remain suspended , hopefully it will still be a good season , better than the dull mess that was the IPL 2016 .

Just out of intrest , why has the IPL , and many other leagues , become more prominent than the English equivalent , considering that it was the ECCB who came up with the format ?

Howardh

Established Member
Essex/Lancs boiling up to be a good game. OH so good to have proper county cricket instead of that pub trash!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Essex/Lancs boiling up to be a good game. OH so good to have proper county cricket instead of that pub trash!!

Lancashire moved on to 317-3 declared in their second innings (Davies 140 not out and Vilas 92) at Chelmsford before setting Essex a daunting target of 477 in their second innings to win in the remainder of day 3 and all day 4, with the good weather forecast to hold.

Essex closed day 3 on 89-2, still requiring a further 389 to win on the final day.

Historical Note

It was at Chelmsford on that fateful day of 14th June 2013 that Lancashire bowled out Essex for 20.
Chapple......7.2 - 4 - 9 - 5
Hogg...........7 - 3 - 11 - 4
Chapple ran out the remaining batsman.

Howardh

Established Member
Essex Lancs - still all four results possible. lancs getting nowhere and Essex seeming comfortable. If they get it to 2-down and 260 off 50 they might have a go - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Lancs gave away a few runs to get them interested.

Alternatively, Lancs might like to knock a couple over in the next half hour, as I'm getting restless.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Essex Lancs - still all four results possible. lancs getting nowhere and Essex seeming comfortable. If they get it to 2-down and 260 off 50 they might have a go - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Lancs gave away a few runs to get them interested.

Alternatively, Lancs might like to knock a couple over in the next half hour, as I'm getting restless.

You were granted your wish and Essex lost two wickets in a five over spell after lunch, but Essex still trail by 279 runs, albeit with 6 wickets still standing.

Howardh

Established Member
You were granted your wish and Essex lost two wickets in a five over spell after lunch, but Essex still trail by 279 runs, albeit with 6 wickets still standing.

Three quick wickets! But there's the batsman nearing 100 and a batsman who averages a flea's leg short of 50 in right now. If one of those goes, preferably before tea, I think we'll do it.

If the points are the same as last season, Lancs have 6 + 5 for the draw, so they are effecively now playing for 11 points (the difference between 16 for the win and 5)

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I wonder what caused no less than 18 wickets to fall at Old Trafford on the first day of the Division 1 County Championship match between Lancashire and Somerset...<(

I'm wondering if my trip there next Friday may be a little shorter than expected!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder what caused no less than 18 wickets to fall at Old Trafford on the first day of the Division 1 County Championship match between Lancashire and Somerset...<(

Day 2 saw some batting stability by Somerset, especially regarding how the last two batsmen batted in comparison with the more noted batsmen of both teams and they both helped their opening batsmen in good stands, which saw Somerset eventually all out, but not before they had posted a first innings total of 278, a first innings lead of 169 over Lancashire.
Elgar, the opening batsman, carried his bat in making 113 not out.
Number 10 batsman, Leach, made 52.
Number 11 batsman, Groenewald, made 20.

In their second innings, Lancashire lost two quick wickets, but there then followed an unbroken stand of 129 to see Lancashire 152-2 at close of play.
Davies 78 not out
Livingstone 57 not out.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In day 3 of the Lancashire v Somerset match, both Davies (130) and Livingstone (168) consolidated the Lancashire recovery and Lancashire batted well during the day and posted a total well in excess of 400 in their second innings.

Day 4 started with Somerset 91-4 in their second innings but a slump saw them all out for 130.
McLaren 4-37
Clark 3-12

Lancashire (19 points) beat Somerset (5 points) by 164 runs.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Went to Kent vs Middlesex on Sunday! Joe Denly was Kent's unsung hero, taking vital wickets to save the game.

Pakenhamtrain

The venue for the Perth Ashes test has been announced. The WACA is getting one last Ashes hurrah or if you rather one last test for our bowlers to terrorize English batsmen.

It appears the new Perth Stadium will open for business on January 28 with the 5th ODI between Australia and England.

Pakenhamtrain

A rather bizzare dismissal in a local game down under over the weekend
Cricketers stumped as bails fail to fall at suburban match in Melbourne

Suburban cricketers in Melbourne were left stumped at the weekend as the wicket appeared to defy the law of gravity.

A mid-year match between Moonee Valley and Strathmore Heights came to a standstill when a delivery knocked out the middle stump but left the bails in place.

Moonee Valley captain Michael Ozman was watching from the boundary and saw the stump "go flying back to the wicket keeper".

"Everyone started gathering around the wicket," he told ABC Radio Melbourne's Red Symons.

"I walked out and I saw that leg and off stump were still sitting there and both bails were up still.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...bails-fail-to-fall-at-melbourne-match/8516682

I can't say I've ever seen the bails stay while middle stump goes flying.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow! :o

At least the right decision was reached but it's a bit disappointing that the batsman was reportedly reluctant to walk. Whatever you views on walking in general I think if the stump's been uprooted (no matter the condition of the bails) the right thing to do is walk off at that point :lol: