• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol:

BBC: Ben Stokes: England cricketer arrested after Bristol nightclub incident...England all-rounder Ben Stokes was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm after a nightclub incident in Bristol early on Monday.

oh dear

Well, then all that happens is that other Counties pick them off one by one with promises of first division cricket and being in the eyes of England selectors. As has been happening to Durham since the ECB decided to crucify us.

Jennings and Onions of to Lancashire I hear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ashes squad announced:

Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (wk, Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (wk, Surrey), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

It is weak.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

I'm watching the game on TV (Eng vs WI) and Theresa May is at the game! They were saying on commentary that she had invited the England Women's team to 10 Downing Street in celebration of Women in sport.

PudseyBearHST

England win the game by 6 runs. Unfortunately, the game got rained off but England won the game using the DLS method.

Man of the match went to Evin Lewis who scored 176 and was retired hurt due to a hit in the ankle.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ashes squad announced:

Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (wk, Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (wk, Surrey), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

It is weak.

Weaker than a cup of PG Tips, which is my yardstick:) Vince, test average of 19 and, in the county championship this season, less than 35: Ballance also has a test average of 19 since his first recall, Malan a duck today towards Middlesex's efforts to avoid the drop. Craig Overton's twin Jamie is apparently quicker than his brother, which, in the absence of Mark Wood from the squad, means Stuart Broad is the fastest quick going! No Jack Leach, still taking loads of wickets for Somerset and whose batting has improved immeasureably.

The ones I agree with are Stoneman and Foakes, even though Surrey are my unfavourite county, and thank goodness Jennings and Westley were ditched. Ball? I'm not sure. Mason Crane deserves to be around the squad, but as third spinner: still, way better than Dawson or Zafari!

EM2

Established Member
The ones I agree with are Stoneman and Foakes, even though Surrey are my unfavourite county, and thank goodness Jennings and Westley were ditched.
Westley's Test average (24.12) is a little behind Stoneman (30) and slightly better than Malan (23.62) this summer, and well above Ballance's (13.40) if you take the last nine Test innings for both players, and his Championship average is way better than Vince this summer.
So why 'thank goodness'? What will we learn from Ballance that we don't already know?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
BBC:
England have suspended Ben Stokes and Alex Hales from international cricket until further notice after the pair were involved in an incident near a Bristol nightclub.

All-rounder Stokes, 26, is said to be "fragile and devastated" and apologised to cricket chiefs after his arrest on suspicion of assault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41433110

There is a video of the incident floating around. Could easily be seen as self defense. Make your own mind up.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Westley's Test average (24.12) is a little behind Stoneman (30) and slightly better than Malan (23.62) this summer, and well above Ballance's (13.40) if you take the last nine Test innings for both players, and his Championship average is way better than Vince this summer.
So why 'thank goodness'? What will we learn from Ballance that we don't already know?

I wasn't defending Ballance's inclusion, though, in his defence, you could say he has made runs in test cricket and, if you want to go on this season's county figures, he was doing extremely well before the ridiculously over-long hiatus for the 20/20 pyjama party. Westley's county figures prior to this season (and all in Division 2) were pretty unspectacular and, alone of all the Essex batsmen, he made no meaningful contribution in the last three or four matches of the season. Actually, I'd make the comparison between Vince and Westley that they're both 'pretty' players of their favourite shots, on the off and on sides respectively, and such players rarely go on to great test careers (Sarwan late of the West Indies and Leicestershire was another who comes to mind).

muddythefish

On Moderation
Stokes looks in serious trouble to me. That video is damning. I cannot see how England can possibly allow him to go on tour.

High Dyke

Established Member
So Ben Stokes has been arrested. All we've seen so far is the media viewpoint of the incident, and a patchy piece of video doesn't give the whole story. I'll wait until Ben Stokes explains why the incident took place.

That said the ECB don't want to be seen as burying their heads in the sand... However with the squad picked for Australia then a side without Ben Stokes may have problems getting the results needed.

PudseyBearHST

What does everyone think of the new regulations that are put in place for test cricket
from today (I think?):

IMG_1453.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From the video (with all the caveats that apply to that) Stokes was fine until almost the very end. It seemed to go down in two phases. The first was started by the guy swinging a bottle and, to me, it's perfectly reasonable to defend yourself/friend from someone swinging a bottle! But the two groups seemed to split apart (i.e. danger passed) and then Stokes seems to go back for more.

Of course we don't know what was said it could be that the other guy provoked him further verbally but from the video it's that second phase that I think will see him in hot water. If he and Hales had just left it at that I think he'd be fine legally and whilst I'd rather not see an England cricketer getting into a punch up mid-tour (or at all really) after someone has swung a bottle at you I'm willing to be forgiving!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
From the video (with all the caveats that apply to that) Stokes was fine until almost the very end. It seemed to go down in two phases. The first was started by the guy swinging a bottle and, to me, it's perfectly reasonable to defend yourself/friend from someone swinging a bottle! But the two groups seemed to split apart (i.e. danger passed) and then Stokes seems to go back for more.

Of course we don't know what was said it could be that the other guy provoked him further verbally but from the video it's that second phase that I think will see him in hot water. If he and Hales had just left it at that I think he'd be fine legally and whilst I'd rather not see an England cricketer getting into a punch up mid-tour (or at all really) after someone has swung a bottle at you I'm willing to be forgiving!

Agreed - however the ECB can do nothing while the case in under investigation. If, as i suspect, he is cleared or cautioned he will go on the tour.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

I also this today on the news about Ben Stokes: "England cricketer Ben Stokes faces fresh controversy after video shows him 'imitating Katie Price's disabled son Harvey'"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agreed - however the ECB can do nothing while the case in under investigation. If, as i suspect, he is cleared or cautioned he will go on the tour.

I don't on what basis you make that comment. There is no way he is going to be cautioned as it would be an entirely inappropriate way of dealing with the matter(s). Whether he is charged and, if so, it goes to court and there is a trial at which he is found not guilty, one cannot know at this point but it is quite clear now that Stokes will not be taking part in the tour. A replacement will be announced, the speculation being that Tom Westley will now go, unless every cricket writer and Chief Sports Reporter has got it wrong about the reaction of the ECCB. Liam Livingstone of Lancs is the left field choice as replacement, which would be a good move imo.

Howardh

Established Member
I don't on what basis you make that comment. There is no way he is going to be cautioned as it would be an entirely inappropriate way of dealing with the matter(s). Whether he is charged and, if so, it goes to court and there is a trial at which he is found not guilty, one cannot know at this point but it is quite clear now that Stokes will not be taking part in the tour. A replacement will be announced, the speculation being that Tom Westley will now go, unless every cricket writer and Chief Sports Reporter has got it wrong about the reaction of the ECCB. Liam Livingstone of Lancs is the left field choice as replacement, which would be a good move imo.

Much as I'd like t see Livingstone go, he's not an all-rounder although his spin has contributed to a Lancs victory and been useful in the 20/20. Depends if England think they have enough seamers (suppose Jimmy breaks down?) but I don't think they will find an all-rounder like Stokes so it may have to be a batsman that can bowl a bit, or vice-versa.

tspaul26

Established Member
So Ben Stokes has been arrested. All we've seen so far is the media viewpoint of the incident, and a patchy piece of video doesn't give the whole story. I'll wait until Ben Stokes explains why the incident took place.

I am reliably informed that Piers Morgan (of all people) has so far given a pretty accurate précis of Stokes' account in his various tweets.

Cletus

Established Member
I would imagine any trial won't take place until 2018, leaving Stokes "innocent until proven guilty" until after the ashes tour ends.

Pakenhamtrain

I would imagine any trial won't take place until 2018, leaving Stokes "innocent until proven guilty" until after the ashes tour ends.

Him participating in the Ashes will be very dependent if we allow him in the country or not. That last punch will very much be a deciding factor. We don't tend to tolerate that stuff down here anymore.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Him participating in the Ashes will be very dependent if we allow him in the country or not. That last punch will very much be a deciding factor. We don't tend to tolerate that stuff down here anymore.

I thought boxing kangaroos was a national sport?

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member

David Warner and Joe Root? ;)

Plunkett should be called up IMO. He's not in the Lions squad: does that mean anything?

backontrack

Established Member
James Pattinson's out of the Ashes:

BBC said:
Australia fast bowler James Pattinson will miss the Ashes series following a recurrence of a back injury.

Pattinson was left out of the tour to Bangladesh in September with a lower-back stress fracture, which he suffered as a teenager.

The 27-year-old, who has 70 wickets from 17 Tests, took 32 wickets in five Championship matches for Nottinghamshire last summer.

He will take an indefinite break from bowling.

"Obviously I am extremely disappointed with this setback after just getting back into a good run of playing cricket," Pattinson said.

"I'm especially disappointed to miss out on the possibility to play in a home Ashes series.

"Over the next few weeks I will discuss all available options available to me with medical staff, to work out the best plan to prevent this from happening again."

Australia's sports science and sports medicine manager, Alex Kountouris, said Pattinson's condition had been monitored and scans confirmed he had aggravated a previous injury.

"Whilst this is very disappointing, we are confident that he can recover from this and return to playing," added Kountouris.

The five-match Ashes series begins in Brisbane on 23 November, with the final match commencing on 4 January.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Having whinged earlier about the effects of ODI and test calls on Yorkshire's survival prospects, it turned out that poor old Middlesex were relegated thanks in large part to some nutter with a bow and arrow. I wonder if they could the culprit for compensation if ever he is found?

And I'm strongly against four-day tests because the 5th day provides a goodly bit of insurance against the vagaries of the English weather.

Howardh

Established Member
Having whinged earlier about the effects of ODI and test calls on Yorkshire's survival prospects, it turned out that poor old Middlesex were relegated thanks in large part to some nutter with a bow and arrow. I wonder if they could the culprit for compensation if ever he is found?

And I'm strongly against four-day tests because the 5th day provides a goodly bit of insurance against the vagaries of the English weather.
Middlesex - it's their own fault for not getting their overs in. What's to say the bolt wasn't a bolt of lightning and they went off for rain? Own fault, no excuses.