• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Pakenhamtrain

So Moeen Ali for some strange reason is worrying about test cricket and how The Ashes crowds were apprantly disappointing.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...t/news-story/71adec1eb1f9cbb7b1b85c598e3e519f

It was only the 2nd most attended series in Australia with 866,732 going through the turnstiles. Just one of the highest attendances since the 1936/37 Ashes.
The Adelaide test nearly had 200,000 fans alone!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Disappointing because the barmy army had absolutely nothing to cheer about due to Moeen's god awful bowling!!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So Moeen Ali for some strange reason is worrying about test cricket and how The Ashes crowds were apprantly disappointing.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...t/news-story/71adec1eb1f9cbb7b1b85c598e3e519f

It was only the 2nd most attended series in Australia with 866,732 going through the turnstiles. Just one of the highest attendances since the 1936/37 Ashes.
The Adelaide test nearly had 200,000 fans alone!
Mooen Ali was quoted in a UK newspaper today as saying he quite understood why Rashid and Hales were turning their backs on red ball (i.e. proper) cricket and said he thought others might follow them. Perhaps he's thinking of himself?!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
New Zealand were up against it in the 1st ODI against England, for whom Stokes was included in the side, when they were only 27-3 from 9.3 overs, but then a stand of 178 from Taylor and Latham kept up the run chase, but it needed a final flourish from Santner, batting at number 8 who scored a not out total of 45 from only 27 balls, with 4x6 and 2x4 to clinch the victory for New Zealand, two balls into the final over of the match.

BantamMenace

Mooen Ali was quoted in a UK newspaper today as saying he quite understood why Rashid and Hales were turning their backs on red ball (i.e. proper) cricket and said he thought others might follow them. Perhaps he's thinking of himself?!

Key difference is Moeen has a relatively secure test place (even more secure now Rashid has ruled himself out), Rashid and Hales did not. Easier to give something up when you didn't have it in the first place.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Key difference is Moeen has a relatively secure test place (even more secure now Rashid has ruled himself out), Rashid and Hales did not. Easier to give something up when you didn't have it in the first place.
I'm not so sure that Mooen considers he still has a relatively secure test place and, if that is the case, then I can understand his position. His bowling performance in Australia was lamentable and (despite all his protestations) he's in the side as much for his bowling as his batting. The slow left=hander Jack Leach has been taking wickets with the Lions in the West Indies and, so long as his action doesn't come into question again, I think he may well be tried in the test team ere long.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft have admitted cheating in the 3rd test v. South Africa (and Smith implicated the Senior players in the 'leadership group'}.....over to you Pakenhamtrain......

Darandio

Established Member
Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft have admitted cheating in the 3rd test v. South Africa (and Smith implicated the Senior players in the 'leadership group'}.....over to you Pakenhamtrain......

Are you seriously expecting a response? Pakenhamtrain only posts when Australia have won a game or something bad happens with England. :lol:

Pakenhamtrain

Both can enjoy econcomy back home on the plane right after the test is finished. Smith can lose the captaincy. Bancroft can sit on the sidelines for a bit.

How bloody stupid can Bancroft be? There's few cameras around the ground with the ability to zoom in very closely. You're going to get caught.
I would hope CA grow a pair and wack anyone involved. It's pathetic.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Both can enjoy econcomy back home on the plane right after the test is finished. Smith can lose the captaincy. Bancroft can sit on the sidelines for a bit.

How bloody stupid can Bancroft be? There's few cameras around the ground with the ability to zoom in very closely. You're going to get caught.
I would hope CA grow a pair and wack anyone involved. It's pathetic.

Yes, that's about right, but what about the others that Smith implicated?

Pakenhamtrain

Yes, that's about right, but what about the others that Smith implicated?
They can go with him.

Its fair to say this morning the Australian public and media want blood and lots of it.
The increasingly crap win at all costs attidude has crossed over to the dark arts.

Over here the cricket should be background noise this time of year. Its the open round of the AFL and the NRL has been going for a couple of weeks we shouldnt be worried about cricket.

Im listening to my local sports station SEN1116. Every text call and tweet is on the same track. Fury and anger

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

James Sutherland. What a weak press confrence. Show some bloody balls. How have you not got the facts? Do you use a carrier pigon to communicate?
How can no one get whacked when someone admits they cheated!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England haven't had a great day at the office.
58 all out on a ground the size of a postage stamp is some effort.
In response NZ are 3/175.

Just looked at how things had progressed on day 4. New Zealand finally declared their first innings at 427-8 (Nicholls 145 not out/Williamson 102) to make a mockery of the score that England had achieved in their first innings, giving them a first innings lead of 369.

England made a bad start to their second innings with Cook dismissed in single figures.

Pakenhamtrain

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Smith and Warner have been stood down as captain and vice captain for the rest of the test the test. Paine will be acting captain. Smith has been dumped as Rajasthan Royals captain as well.
https://twitter.com/craddock_cmail/status/977836520190001153
The NT news have delivered.

Here's the SEN1116 program I was listening to:
https://twitter.com/WhateleySEN/status/977744595709706240

I don't think that is enough, I think Smith's position has become totally untenable, even the PM has got involved. I can't believe their stupidity in thinking they would get away with this with cameras everywhere.

Pakenhamtrain

I don't think that is enough, I think Smith's position has become totally untenable, even the PM has got involved. I can't believe their stupidity in thinking they would get away with this with cameras everywhere.
It sure isn't. We have to wait for the CA investigation. Sutherland said in the press conference today. The head of integrity and the head of performance were put on the first plane to SA to investigate.

Last edited:

Andrewh32

ICC have announced punishments as follows:-

Smith 100% of match fee and 1 match ban
Bancroft 75% of match fee and 3 demerit points.

These are inline with ICC regulations but given this and other incidents just lately are ICC regulations anything like strong enough?

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

These are inline with ICC regulations but given this and other incidents just lately are ICC regulations anything like strong enough?

From what I have just been reading that could only be the start. Still can't get my head round why a team blessed with some fantastic bowlers had to resort to this. i think that this one could run and run.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

South African fast bowler Rabada got suspended for a test in England last year when an expletive was caught on a stump microphone, but would otherwise have gone unnoticed; most commentators thought it was a draconian punishment. Bancroft escapes relatively unscathed and Smith pretty lightly for something most cricket fans and other sportslovers think is far more serious.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don’t follow cricket but ball tampering in this way is the most egregious form of cheating I can think of. It’s not the kind of cheating that happens in the moment, like a footballer’s deliberate handball or a dive. It’s premeditated cheating.

Actually concealing an implement to do it, and doing the act, and with it having been planned beforehand is astonishing.

I can’t fathom how they figured a one match ban was appropriate?

Established Member
Best to wait until the full investigation to see what the final sanctions turn out to be.

Doing something that isn’t ‘Cricket’ is a wonderful phrase, which perhaps can be said to define a set of moral principles. Let’s see how the ICC define it in the days and weeks to come.

Andrewh32

Any further punishment will be a matter for Cricket Australia not the ICC. The ICC have made it's judgement based on it's rules and regulations, for information Ball tampering is only a Level 2 offence which means it is felt by the ICC to be relatively minor.

It is felt by many including on here that the ICC rules and regulations are inadequate but that is what they are now and what they have to work with.

Pakenhamtrain

Any further punishment will be a matter for Cricket Australia not the ICC. The ICC have made it's judgement based on it's rules and regulations, for information Ball tampering is only a Level 2 offence which means it is felt by the ICC to be relatively minor.

It is felt by many including on here that the ICC rules and regulations are inadequate but that is what they are now and what they have to work with.
The ICC whacked them with a wet lettuce leaf. Cricket Australia will throw the book at them. The mass fury on this side of the rock of the past two days will make sure of it.
The Dymocks in Brisbane have given once nice whack:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Best to wait until the full investigation to see what the final sanctions turn out to be.

Doing something that isn’t ‘Cricket’ is a wonderful phrase, which perhaps can be said to define a set of moral principles. Let’s see how the ICC define it in the days and weeks to come.
ICC only concerned about income from broadcasting companies, so if they're not bothered then neither will the ICC be. Cricket's governing bodies need the sort of media exposure given to FIFA, IOC and cycling, but as so few countries treat the game seriously then, reluctant though I am to admit it, it won't be exposed for the unjust and corrupt mess it is.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The ICC have made it's judgement based on it's rules and regulations, for information Ball tampering is only a Level 2 offence which means it is felt by the ICC to be relatively minor.
I'm sure I've heard it mentioned somewhere or other that the ICC are now considering making it a Level Four offence or at least making it Level Three.

Pakenhamtrain

The open warfare has started with the Australian camp. The bowling group are going after Warner:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...t/news-story/4d13aa1f3b1af2dc5412d38ea9479b37
Aussie cricket cheating scandal: Teammates want David Warner gone after ‘rogue’ vice-captain parties with friends at team hotel
DISGRACED Australian vice-captain David Warner has further outraged devastated teammates by swilling champagne in the bar of the team hotel in Cape Town with non-cricket mates, foxsports.com.au understands.
Several of Warner’s already furious teammates have asked cricket bosses to have the disgraced batsman ‘removed’ from the team hotel, warning there could be an ‘incident’ between Warner and angry players if he remains.