• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Howardh

Established Member
Hard to believe that Hameed, Duckett and Jennings were so prolific for one season, that being 2016. Just goes to show that consistency over two or three seasons should be a preliminary requirement to entering the test team. although even that can still go wrong, as in the case of Stoneman. Once again Sam Northeast showed the way, now in a First Division side (Hampshire) and this man scores big hundreds, just as Jonathan Trott once did. Notheast for Vince, for a start!
With r/e to Hameed, many with more knowledge of cricket than I have suggest that due to his broken finger/thumb (now repaired obvs) he's psychologically avoiding being hit again - and he might not know that he's doing it; and playing the wrong shots. No idea how right or wrong that is, there are coaches and all sorts paid to work that out. But I bet he comes good against spin - might be worth Lancs playing him further down the order maybe until he gets confidence in his "old" style back. Or he could just be rubbish and got lucky! Don't want him to turn out like Frank Hayes, one big test ton, then nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With r/e to Hameed, many with more knowledge of cricket than I have suggest that due to his broken finger/thumb (now repaired obvs) he's psychologically avoiding being hit again - and he might not know that he's doing it; and playing the wrong shots. No idea how right or wrong that is, there are coaches and all sorts paid to work that out. But I bet he comes good against spin - might be worth Lancs playing him further down the order maybe until he gets confidence in his "old" style back. Or he could just be rubbish and got lucky! Don't want him to turn out like Frank Hayes, one big test ton, then nothing.
Ah, Frank Hayes! I only ever saw him bat the once, but that once was the test century, and wondrous to behold it was. I'm afraid test history affords many examples of batsmen performing wonders first up, then nothing. Keaton Jennings may prove to be the latest in that long line: we shall see. I'm sure that, more than any other team sport, cricket at the highest level is played as much in the mind as in the flesh.

Howardh

Established Member
Ah, Frank Hayes! I only ever saw him bat the once, but that once was the test century, and wondrous to behold it was. I'm afraid test history affords many examples of batsmen performing wonders first up, then nothing. Keaton Jennings may prove to be the latest in that long line: we shall see. I'm sure that, more than any other team sport, cricket at the highest level is played as much in the mind as in the flesh.
Neil Fairbother. Scored thousands and thousands for Lancs and the England one-day side; but at Test level never got more than a "start". Could only have been mindset, I just wonder what would have happened had he done a Hayes and got a big ton early on? On the other hand Graeme Fowler got that double ton in India and ton @ Lord's v the Fearsome Four (the proper West Indies), had a decent average yet had to stand down when the rebels returned.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I give you .... Graeme Hick - scored loads of runs in county cricket, but mostly failed when he had to succeed.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I give you .... Graeme Hick - scored loads of runs in county cricket, but mostly failed when he had to succeed.
He was easily intimidated: a country boy growing up in Zimbabwe. Merv Hughes (who was by no means a great bowler) led the Aussie barrage, unhindered by any umpire intervention, and succeeded in undermining any confidence he had. He was also not helped by his captain, Mike Atherton, declaring on him when he was 98 not out once, an action which Atherton admitted later he shouldn't have countenanced. Mark Ramprakash, on the other hand, was imperious in county cricket too but seemed to go into a cocoon when playing a test innings: his problem wasn't the opposition, it was his own mind and the intensity he brought to everything. By common consent he was the most technically accomplished English batsman of his generation, his county record of centuries far exceeding anyone else's of the same period, and, on his day, his strokeplay was a thing of beauty.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The other thing about Graeme Hick was that the Aussies were always very complimentary about him.

This was so that the English selectors would think "The Aussies really rate this guy, we have to pick him" whereas the Aussies were using reverse psychology, knowing that they could always get him out when they wanted to.

Howardh

Established Member
The other thing about Graeme Hick was that the Aussies were always very complimentary about him.

This was so that the English selectors would think "The Aussies really rate this guy, we have to pick him" whereas the Aussies were using reverse psychology, knowing that they could always get him out when they wanted to.
I know several batsmen in league cricket (no names, Ray) who would make a dibbly-dobbly bowler look the best in the world by deliberately playing and missing. Reason - if you take the 10-15 an over off them they get hoiked off and the psychotic quickie with a taste for blood returns....no thanks, let the 63-yr-old running off two yards have figures of 15 - 5 - 0 - 30 and you take a nice little 40* back to the pavilion and your manhood still intact!!

kevconnor

The last few county games for Lancs Hameed looks like he is going backwards. Got out against Notts two weeks ago, Essex last week and Surrey yesterday quite cheaply. He keeps leaving his bat out and getting out to an outside edge to first slip. You can tell his confidence has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the Lancs second 11 for a few games.

Once again, the Lancashire openers keep up their very poor start to the season against Surrey.

The problem with the current top order today was that because Hameed is getting out cheaply it was putting pressure on Jennings. Credit has to go to Livingstone, Clarke and Mennie. The latter two broke a Lancs record for a 9th place record partnership against Surrey which has stood since about 1892.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
At Chelmsford, Yorkshire win the toss and bat. And then slump to 45-9, Sam Cook with a Michelle in less than ninety minutes.

Now all out for 50 in 18.4 overs, Peter Siddle takes 4 wickets for the loss of 7 runs.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
I look at Kent bowling and Glamorgan are 57-0, I look back not long later and Glamorgan are 94 all out :o

And Joe Root got a golden duck on his return to county cricket.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And Joe Root got a golden duck on his return to county cricket.

Essex v Yorkshire...Day 1 of 4

Yorkshire all out for 50 in their first innings, with only Balance with 22 making a double figure score (4 ducks in this innings)

Chief destroyers being:-
Peter Siddle.........3.4 - 0 - 7 - 4
Sam Cook......... .. 9 - 0 - 28 - 5

By the tea interval, Essex were all out for 142, in reply.

Three wickets each for Ben Coad, Jack Brooks and Tim Bresnan.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Once again, the Lancashire openers keep up their very poor start to the season against Surrey.

The Lancs bowlers are doing little better today against Somerset.

The evergreen Trescothick in imperious form opening for Somerset.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Lancs bowlers are doing little better today against Somerset.

The evergreen Trescothick in imperious form opening for Somerset.

Both Trescothick and Bartlett made 100's but Abell fell just short, being dismissed for 99. Somerset were cruising along at 415-6, then were all out for 429.
Not often that Anderson produces a nil bowling return when playing for the county.

Howardh

Established Member
Lancashire - skipper aside - finally remembering what a bat is for. Two days left and there could still be a result either way - if Lancs can get a lead and put pressure on (or even a small deficit) and if they are 100 behind - with the weather set fair and all that - Somerset might be minded to make a tasty declaration on a spinner's wicket. Good stuff - you can put yopur hundred balls nonsense somewhere where even Donald Trump can't reach.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lancashire - skipper aside - finally remembering what a bat is for. Two days left and there could still be a result either way - if Lancs can get a lead and put pressure on (or even a small deficit) and if they are 100 behind - with the weather set fair and all that - Somerset might be minded to make a tasty declaration on a spinner's wicket. Good stuff - you can put yopur hundred balls nonsense somewhere where even Donald Trump can't reach.

Lancashire "made hay whilst the sun shone" and now are just all out for 492, with Dane Vilas scoring 235 not out (4 x 6 / 27 x 4) on the second day of glorious weather at Old Trafford

Howardh

Established Member
Lancashire "made hay whilst the sun shone" and now are just all out for 492, with Dane Vilas scoring 235 not out (4 x 6 / 27 x 4) on the second day of glorious weather at Old Trafford
Although the Red Rose inside me says if we bowl the out we'll be blown over chasing...this looks a nailed-on draw to me; the days of skippers having a chat over breakfast and asking "fancy a chase of 300 off 65 old boy?" have long gone!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although the Red Rose inside me says if we bowl the out we'll be blown over chasing...this looks a nailed-on draw to me; the days of skippers having a chat over breakfast and asking "fancy a chase of 300 off 65 old boy?" have long gone!
Lancs had the chance of winning, but couldn't get past those renowned batsmen Craig Overton and Jack Leach! Lancs bowling attack so far this season seems to be the worst in the First Division, even with Jimmy Anderson playing. I regret to say I think Lancs are more likely to be relegated than be crowned champions - my bet for the latter would be Notts, or just possibly Yorkshire.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The last few county games for Lancs Hameed looks like he is going backwards. Got out against Notts two weeks ago, Essex last week and Surrey yesterday quite cheaply. He keeps leaving his bat out and getting out to an outside edge to first slip. You can tell his confidence has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the Lancs second 11 for a few games.

Indeed, he was noticeable by his absence from the Somerset game. Time for the batting coach to work with him.

kevconnor

Indeed, he was noticeable by his absence from the Somerset game. Time for the batting coach to work with him.

There was a different look to the top order of Lancs against Somerset with Hameed being dropped. Jennings seemed to be freed of the pressure that was being placed on him, it is the middle and lower order that is really shining this year so far. The bowling is coming better, it did well to limit Surrey last weekend and Parkinson found something on the pitch today that looked more like a billiard table. Once the wicket got dustier he was able to get some leg spin and caused a nuisance for the Somerset attack.

Credit has to go to Somerset's Bartlett for his batting in the first innings and Abell who tore through Lancs mid and lower order which has been quite resolute so far this season.

On another note I am still not sure how Burns at Surrey is not being linked with a call up to the England squad his batting average so far this year is 77. The only issue is it is he comes in at number 3 and isn't the partner for Cook that we are still crying out for.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There was a different look to the top order of Lancs against Somerset with Hameed being dropped. Jennings seemed to be freed of the pressure that was being placed on him, it is the middle and lower order that is really shining this year so far. The bowling is coming better, it did well to limit Surrey last weekend and Parkinson found something on the pitch today that looked more like a billiard table. Once the wicket got dustier he was able to get some leg spin and caused a nuisance for the Somerset attack.

Credit has to go to Somerset's Bartlett for his batting in the first innings and Abell who tore through Lancs mid and lower order which has been quite resolute so far this season.

On another note I am still not sure how Burns at Sussex is not being linked with a call up to the England squad his batting average so far this year is 77. The only issue is it is he comes in at number 3 and isn't the partner for Cook that we are still crying out for.
Do you mean Burns of Surrey? He's actually Stoneman's opening partner there, so rather showing the latter up. The opener that interests me is the one that Stoneman deposed when he moved to Surrey, namely Harinath. I read every report I can get hold of on the county first class game, and his ratings were so good. One said that when he was batting with the sublime Sangakarra in a big partnership that his strokeplay was of equal quality, which only made me wish I could have seen it. Mullaney of Notts has made quite a few centuries over the last couple of years too, and takes a few wickets with his dobbers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The very mention of Essex always harks me back to a June day at Chelmsford in 2013, when Lancashire dismissed Essex for 20...:D
You, understandably, like to dine out on that one. Maybe I should mention Kent defeating Worcestershire on DAY ONE of their county championship match at Tunbridge Wells in 1960, which is I believe unique in the annals. Kent posted 187, then Worcs were all out for 25 and, following on, 61. All done and dusted by 7.15 p.m. on that first (and only) day. The Kent performance was all the more remarkable as they'd only arrived by coach at 4 that morning from their previous championship match at Old Trafford, whereas Worcs had the undemanding drive down from the Oval where Surrey had also trounced them by an innings. I do remember it being reported on the Home Service news when I returned from my school day.

ian1944

You, understandably, like to dine out on that one. Maybe I should mention Kent defeating Worcestershire on DAY ONE of their county championship match at Tunbridge Wells in 1960, which is I believe unique in the annals. Kent posted 187, then Worcs were all out for 25 and, following on, 61. All done and dusted by 7.15 p.m. on that first (and only) day. The Kent performance was all the more remarkable as they'd only arrived by coach at 4 that morning from their previous championship match at Old Trafford, whereas Worcs had the undemanding drive down from the Oval where Surrey had also trounced them by an innings. I do remember it being reported on the Home Service news when I returned from my school day.

Another occasion beloved of the older Lancs supporter is the match at Old Trafford in July 1956 when they beat Leics without losing a wicket, the first time it had been done in first-class cricket. Lancashire (166 for 0 dec and 66 for 0) beat Leicestershire (batting first: 108 and 122) by ten wickets. Rather overshadowed later that month by an even more famous match ...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Another occasion beloved of the older Lancs supporter is the match at Old Trafford in July 1956 when they beat Leics without losing a wicket, the first time it had been done in first-class cricket. Lancashire (166 for 0 dec and 66 for 0) beat Leicestershire (batting first: 108 and 122) by ten wickets. Rather overshadowed later that month by an even more famous match ...
That rather more famous match was what got me interested in cricket, being confined to bed at the time and probably bored out of my skull. but with a radio to keep me company. Jim Laker became my hero.

Howardh

Established Member
Haven't got the actual date, but it's within my Lankywatching life, we beat Leics by an innings and the points was 24 - 0. (Max/min). How many times has that been done?

But for Lanky fans crying into our hot-pot, here's something to make your day, THE CC game and when there were only 3 days available too! Warwicks scored 523 - 4 declared and lost by 10 wickets. Wonderful game!

Q - during the game there was a "first". Anyone remember...??!

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/A..._LOCAL/CC/LANCS_WARWICKS_CC_28-30JUL1982.html

Warwickshire 1st innings
*DL Amiss c Abrahams b McFarlane 6
RIHB Dyer c Simmons b McFarlane 0
TA Lloyd c Scott b Folley 23
AI Kallicharran not out 230
+GW Humpage b D Lloyd 254
Extras (b 1, lb 6, w 1, nb 2) 10
Total (4 wickets declared, 106.1 overs) 523

DNB: Asif Din, SH Wootton, C Lethbridge, GC Small, PJ Hartley,
SP Sutcliffe.

FoW: 1-5, 2-6, 3-53, 4-523.

Bowling O M R W
McFarlane 11 2 90 2
Folley 15 3 64 1
O'Shaughnessy 15 2 62 0
Simmons 20 2 97 0
Hughes 20 2 79 0
Abrahams 15 3 76 0
D Lloyd 10.1 1 45 1

Lancashire 1st innings
G Fowler b Asif Din 126
D Lloyd c Humpage b Small 10
+CJ Scott lbw b Brown 9
I Cockbain c Amiss b Kallicharran 98
*CH Lloyd c Humpage b Kallicharran 45
DP Hughes c Small b Kallicharran 14
J Abrahams not out 51
SJ O'Shaughnessy not out 26
Extras (lb 13, w 3, nb 19) 35
Total (6 wickets declared, 113 overs) 414

DNB: J Simmons, I Folley, LL McFarlane.

FoW: 1-34, 2-109, 3-194, 4-305, 5-327, 6-333.

Bowling O M R W
Small 15 4 38 1
Hartley 14 0 66 0
Sutcliffe 38 9 103 0
Lethbridge 14 5 58 0
Brown 13 3 47 1
Asif Din 6 1 35 1
Kallicharran 13 3 32 3

Warwickshire 2nd innings
*DL Amiss c Scott b McFarlane 24
RIHB Dyer c Abrahams b McFarlane 0
TA Lloyd b McFarlane 0
Asif Din c Hughes b O'Shaughnessy 21
AI Kallicharran c D Lloyd b O'Shaughnessy 0
+GW Humpage c Abrahams b O'Shaughnessy 21
SH Wootton b McFarlane 0
C Lethbridge c Hughes b Folley 18
GC Small lbw b McFarlane 0
PJ Hartley c Scott b McFarlane 16
SP Sutcliffe not out 7
Extras (b 1, lb 2, w 1) 4
Total (all out, 39.1 overs) 111

FoW: 1-1, 2-1, 3-47, 4-47, 5-47, 6-47, 7-76, 8-81, 9-99, 10-111.

Bowling O M R W
McFarlane 20 3 59 6
Folley 11 5 19 1
O'Shaughnessy 7.1 0 29 3
Simmons 1 1 0 0

Lancashire 2nd innings (target: 221 runs)
G Fowler not out 128
D Lloyd not out 88
Extras (lb 2, nb 8) 10
Total (0 wickets, 60 overs) 226

DNB: +CJ Scott, I Cockbain, *CH Lloyd, DP Hughes, J Abrahams,
SJ O'Shaughnessy, J Simmons, I Folley, LL McFarlane.

Bowling O M R W
Small 11 2 30 0
Hartley 9 1 38 0
Sutcliffe 19 5 60 0
Lethbridge 9 2 27 0
Asif Din 5 0 25 0
Kallicharran 6 0 35 0
Lloyd 1 0 1 0