• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I assumed it was declared as it didn't say otherwise, but if he'd retired instead it would have counted as all out instead I think (unless he is part of that 9?)

No, he's considered to be retired hurt and not part of the nine wickets that fell. It's "Innings Closed" as not all ten batsman were out.

England have lost their last four wickets for 6 runs in two and a bit overs to finish on 242. Pakistan have to make 64 runs to win.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Pakistan win by 9 wickets closing on 66-1. Well done. Comprehensively outplayed England. They won all but one session of the test and deserved to win. England were terrible.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So England did worse than Ireland, in their first test, against Pakistan. I suggest England be in no hurry to arrange a test with Ireland, home or away. The solution, according to Colin Graves and his ilk , is to bring beach cricket to the English cities. I despair.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'll break the habits of a lifetime and be pedantic for a moment. Nought not out doesn't actually improve your average (but neither does it lessen it).

Quite right.

I have it in mind that Jimmy has the highest number of ‘not out’ innings in test cricket with 70odd. Short of going through all the stats I can’t find proof though.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Quite right.

I have it in mind that Jimmy has the highest number of ‘not out’ innings in test cricket with 70odd. Short of going through all the stats I can’t find proof though.
I don't have the stats either, but I suspect just as Jimmy may have the highest number of n.o.s, then Stuart Broad probably has the highest number of ducks, which is surprising for a man who's scored a test century, a big one at that! No sign of any pace bowler taking the place of either of them, with Stokes the nearest, but he can't do everything! Botham needed Willis, after all, plus Old and Dilley.

tony_mac

Established Member
Cricinfo reports he has 76. The last record I can find in 2014 was Courtney Walsh with 61, and there is nobody else still playing who was even close to Anderson then (he was on 47).

Walsh's ducks record looks safe for a little while...
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/content/records/283087.html

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Shame. Stoneman is a great player, but is short on confidence in the Test arena.

Jennings - well, let’s see. Last year wasnt great for him.

Jennings is in great county form. Stoneman is in horrible form. Neither fill me with confidence even if they are Durham boys.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Jennings is in great county form. Stoneman is in horrible form. Neither fill me with confidence even if they are Durham boys.
None of the 14 (?) top order batsmen introduced under Trevor Bayliss's stewardship have yet to cement a place.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England reduce Pakistan to 68-4 at lunch on day one.

They then lost another three wickets for the addition of only 11 runs to be 79-7, but their number 7 batsman, Shadab Khan, hit 56 from only 52 balls with 10 x 4, to take Pakistan to 174 all out, with a fair amount of time for England to bat.

Three wickets each for Anderson, Broad and Woakes.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of the Test Match saw the start of play delayed until the early afternoon and when matters eventually resumed, only 32 runs had been added when Root became the third batsman to be caught behind, but after 64 overs of the innings, Bess (40 not out) and Malan (27 not out) had taken England past the Pakistan 1st innings score and on to 199-3.

The late start meant that there were only 50 overs played during the day and at close of play, England had moved on to 302-7. Interesting to note that three players were out in the 40s but so far, every batsman had reached double figures.

England now lead by 128 runs with three wickets remaining.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the Test Match saw England adding many quick early runs, mainly by Buttler who scored 80 not out from 101 balls with 2 x 6 and 11 x 4, before being all out for 363, a lead of 189 runs.

Anderson then struck an early blow, bowling Azhar for 11.

Howardh

Established Member
Liam Livingstone (Lancs) looking for a place in the England one-day teams adds to his current form; currently 59* v Derbys (3x6) off 43 balls.

kevconnor

Liam Livingstone (Lancs) looking for a place in the England one-day teams adds to his current form; currently 59* v Derbys (3x6) off 43 balls.

Liam has been trying to turn himself into an all-rounder this year and has put himself into bowl each game so far. Parky is having a good season again this year and as ever is not on the radar for England.

A Challenge

Established Member
Listening on TMS and just had another wicket go to take Pakistan to 115-8, not good from 111-6! 74 runs to make England bat again. A bit similar to the last test, just backwards!

A Challenge

Established Member
It does feel like that doesn't it! Anyway they won by less than an innings, so we 'won' if anyone did!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Having watched a bit of test and 50-over cricket these last few weeks, I have come to the view that something needs to be done about the white ball. It doesn't seam, it doesn't swing and it doesn't turn. As a result, bowlers don't stand a chance, so much so that the par score is now 350+. Is it any wonder that batsmen look lost when they come back to play proper cricket?

I won't watch T20 because it cricket for cretins and it is far too short. I want to see 90-100 overs in a day. And I want to see a decent battle between the batsmen and the bowlers with good deliveries beating the bat.

This isn't sour grapes. We beat the Lanky's 379 to 363 yesterday in a game which was in the balance to the end - but it was just a slogging match with most of the bowlers going for 70 off their 10 overs.

Is it beyond the capabilities of ball makers to give us a white ball which behaves like a cricket ball and not a hockey or billiard ball?