• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Third ODI

India...256-8 (50 overs)
Kohli 71, with 7 x 4

Willey.......9 - 0 - 40 - 3
Rashid....10 - 0 - 49 - 3

England...260-2 (44.3 overs)
Root 100 not out, with 10 x 4
Morgan 88 not out, with 1 x 6 and 9 x 4

England win by 8 wickets with over five overs to spare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Well I've bought a pass to watch Lancashire lose tonight. They always do when I watch on telly.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Well I've bought a pass to watch Lancashire lose tonight. They always do when I watch on telly.

That's changed your run of form! Looks like they're getting into the groove; I'm disappointed that I won't be able to make the Roses match - hopefully a better outcome than last year's tie.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Hope to go to OT for the second day of the CC game on Monday, haven't been to a Roses match since, I think, 1978. I recall it was very well attended - that was at Headingley. I'm hoping for some atmosphere at least!

kevconnor

County games, even roses games, are not well attended any more I am afraid. I’ll be there after work on Monday for final session of the day. Though as a season ticket holder at lancs would be foolish not to go to all of them that I can.

Some more foolish rumblings in the ECB pet project the 100, from the Times Journalist Elizabeth Ammon on Twitter

Have a read of the times tomorrow for the latest lunacy on the hundred ball tournament.

Essentially there will be no overs 10 ball from one end and 10 from the other end

Each bowler can hold up to 20 balls in total and each set of 10 balls can be bowled By either one bowler doing all 10 Or 2 bowlers doing 5. Up to captain to decide

I am a little unconvinced that makes things any simpler than the previous idea but will be interesting to see what the players anyway read the times tomorrow

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Leicestershire Foxes made a good-enough start by reaching 88-1 in the 9th over, but then were all out for 142 in their final over. Good bowling return by Livingstone of 4 - 0 - 17 - 4.

Lancashire Lightening paced their reply well and reached 146-2 in 16.4 overs to win by 8 wickets, with an unbroken stand of 70 by Davies 51 not out and Jennings 37 not out.

Howardh

Established Member
County games, even roses games, are not well attended any more I am afraid.
That's arguable, but either way it sounds like people are not interested in the Championship which I think is false.
Example - firstly the on-line commentaries by the BBC of every game has been hugely successful, and is now into it's 7th season (at least) - if it weren't the cash-strapped BBC would have pulled the plug years ago. Now we also have on-line streams to add to the commentary and I understand they are extremely successful too and that most - if not all - counties stream their games, indeed some charge a small sub for the service.
Think it's just a question of getting to the games; time-wise most aren't played over the weekend affecting workers, and the full four days is a bit of an ask + with the 4-day and two-divistion set up there aren't the week long festivals now which brough in £££'s.
I think we need three-day cricket back and ensure there are over 115 overs in the day. Most, if not all grounds have floodlights which could enhance the evening light so we can start at 11.30/12 and carry on playing with a red ball until 7.30/8 and charge a small entrance fee after tea (so workers can get a couple of hours in). Slightly more three-day games means more fixtures so counties could take more games to outgrounds which always seem popular.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
That's arguable, but either way it sounds like people are not interested in the Championship which I think is false.
Example - firstly the on-line commentaries by the BBC of every game has been hugely successful, and is now into it's 7th season (at least) - if it weren't the cash-strapped BBC would have pulled the plug years ago. Now we also have on-line streams to add to the commentary and I understand they are extremely successful too and that most - if not all - counties stream their games, indeed some charge a small sub for the service.
Think it's just a question of getting to the games; time-wise most aren't played over the weekend affecting workers, and the full four days is a bit of an ask + with the 4-day and two-divistion set up there aren't the week long festivals now which brough in £££'s.
I think we need three-day cricket back and ensure there are over 115 overs in the day. Most, if not all grounds have floodlights which could enhance the evening light so we can start at 11.30/12 and carry on playing with a red ball until 7.30/8 and charge a small entrance fee after tea (so workers can get a couple of hours in). Slightly more three-day games means more fixtures so counties could take more games to outgrounds which always seem popular.

I think that makes sense. With a full-time job it's not feasible to take in county games, though I'm more than happy to go along for an evening session. Maybe more day-night games and/or 3 day formats would up the attendance. I've been in this year for the evening of a one day game.

Howardh

Established Member
I think that makes sense. With a full-time job it's not feasible to take in county games, though I'm more than happy to go along for an evening session. Maybe more day-night games and/or 3 day formats would up the attendance. I've been in this year for the evening of a one day game.
In the UK the problem with a day/nig game (other than the usual blistering cold...!!) is the dew; bad enough for one-day games but I don't think we should be asking the first-class game to be played under two different sets of conditions. Bowlers with a wet ball, pitch freshening up with the moisture etc. But when you have 12 weeks of the season where it's nowhere near dark by 8.30 - especially if lights can be used - then that time should be utilised more.
If counties had decent car parks they could say free parking and £5 entrance after (say) 4pm (5pm for a later finish).

Puffing Devil

Established Member
In the UK the problem with a day/nig game (other than the usual blistering cold...!!) is the dew; bad enough for one-day games but I don't think we should be asking the first-class game to be played under two different sets of conditions. Bowlers with a wet ball, pitch freshening up with the moisture etc. But when you have 12 weeks of the season where it's nowhere near dark by 8.30 - especially if lights can be used - then that time should be utilised more.
If counties had decent car parks they could say free parking and £5 entrance after (say) 4pm (5pm for a later finish).

In my experience, it's morning dew that's been more of an issue. Starting later allows that to burn off. Rain and drizzle seem to be the biggest issue.

Howardh

Established Member
Which is a consideration for Ashes tickets next year - upper deck for great views and a cardio workout with every beer or lower deck and a built-in umbrella!?
Former point - take into consideration where the toilets are!
I reckon, personally, I'd go for a spot below the double-decker stands as it's closer to the facilities and shelter from the sun/rain/wind. Seeing as we've had this decade's allocation of sun this month, that'll be shelter from the rain then.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Welcome to Greater Old Trafford!!!
I've been to Old Trafford twice - once I dragged along my new father-in-law to a Roses match, on a grim May day made even grimmer by Yorkshire's batting: something like 178 runs in the full day, and Boycott wasn't even playing! The second time was during the glorious summer of 1976, England v Australia. Glorious summer minus the day I'd trekked from London and seen about two hours cricket in-between the drizzle and general murk!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Cracking game at Old Trafford.

Kent saved by the 1st rain in nearly 2 months :smile:
Anything Surrey can do Kent can do better, so a lucky point for Surrey :smile:
Lancs won by one run on the last ball
Warwicks tied with Northants on last ball.

Howardh

Established Member
Match reduced to 14 overs per side

Lancashire Lightening...176-2
Livingstone 79 from 37 balls, with 6 x 6 and 7 x 4

Yorkshire Vikings...175-4
Lyth 60 from 26 balls, with 6 x 6 and 2 x 4
Root 51 not out from 22 balls, with 2 x 6 and 5 x 4
Just love Yorkshire's new dance, everyone stands in a circle, a ball goes into the middle of it and when it lands they all do the teapot. Brilliant!!

**For thosw who haven't a clue, Livingstone lofted it up in the air, and there were three Yorkies all stood round watching it land feet away from each other. Their faces...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Another tie in the T20 competition last night - Essex needed two from the last ball against Hants, but Bopara narrowly missed getting back for the second.

Meantime, and more importantly, with a Roses championship match including current England test players, Jordan Clark of Lancs achieved a hat-trick, his victims being Joe Root (for 22) lbw, then NZ captain Kane Williamson lbw 0 and Jonny Bairstow c Buttler 0.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Meantime, and more importantly, with a Roses championship match including current England test players, Jordan Clark of Lancs achieved a hat-trick, his victims being Joe Root (for 22) lbw, then NZ captain Kane Williamson lbw 0 and Jonny Bairstow c Buttler 0.

Yorkshire recovered from a position of being 86-6, with 70 from Lyth and some tail-ender hitting, but were all out in 57.1 overs for 192.

Clark's bowling return was 12.1 - 1 - 58 - 5

Hameed shown as being at number 3 in the Lancashire batting line-up.

Howardh

Established Member
Another tie in the T20 competition last night - Essex needed two from the last ball against Hants, but Bopara narrowly missed getting back for the second.

Only the second Lancs hat-trick in a Roses, maybe only the second ever? But with our batting Yorkshire have plenty of opportunity to hat-trick back!! Interesting that many fans on fourums wanted Mennie instead of Clarke, what do we know :oops::oops::oops:

kevconnor

If he can't play that's two batsmen down, him and Hameed.

Liam confirmed as a fractured thumb. Whilst Haz once again hasn’t coveted himself in glory only lasting 9 balls I was with some of his stroke play seeing some progress, he was attacking the ball rather than leaving the bat in for that outside edge to slips every time he did do that on three of the balls including the one he went out to.

FWIW there was only Davis who played well for Lancs with the bat.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lancashire chose today as the day that they could recreate an "England in Australia" batting collapse by going from 55-1 to 109 -9 (Livingston abs) in an innings lasting only 30.4 overs.

Hameed made sure that he did not spoil his season-long ultra-low batting average by only scoring 1.

kevconnor

Lancashire chose today as the day that they could recreate an "England in Australia" batting collapse by going from 55-1 to 109 -9 (Livingston abs) in an innings lasting only 30.4 overs.

Hameed made sure that he did not spoil his season-long ultra-low batting average by only scoring 1.

We can’t even claim the prize of worst play of the day, that went marginally to Kent.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The tea interval on day 2 sees Yorkshire in their second innings all out for 239 (Bairstow 82,Brook 55), having been 21-3 in the early stages of the day's play. They now lead Lancashire by 322.

Had a very interesting and enjoyable day at Old Trafford yesterday, typical Bairstow innings secured a probable victory for Yorkshire. (whoops, now confirmed as I write) Pleased to see Hameed get to 30 odd, in our view a cover drive by him was 'shot of the day'
Incidentally, my Yorkie non-railway friend had his first taste of a Pacer from Chester to Altrincham, what he said about it was unprintable, couldn't believe how awful it was.

Howardh

Established Member
Had a very interesting and enjoyable day at Old Trafford yesterday, typical Bairstow innings secured a probable victory for Yorkshire. (whoops, now confirmed as I write) Pleased to see Hameed get to 30 odd, in our view a cover drive by him was 'shot of the day'
Incidentally, my Yorkie non-railway friend had his first taste of a Pacer from Chester to Altrincham, what he said about it was unprintable, couldn't believe how awful it was.
Pacer and LCCC - separated at birth. Both full of holes, out-of-date and not fit for the purpose.

However, if Parky had held on to Bairstow's catch and Livingstone was fully fit, could have been a different story entirely. The only good thing about the game from a Lanky point of view is that Hameed looked more the part inthat second innings, so should replace Jennings at the top. How long is Livingstone out for??