• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah the perils of building up an England team before the actual event...
As all of you will know far more about this than me, what chance of getting further in the tournament do England have now would you say?

Darandio

Established Member
As all of you will know far more about this than me, what chance of getting further in the tournament do England have now would you say?

We probably need to beat India and New Zealand to progress. They are both unbeaten.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We probably need to beat India and New Zealand to progress. They are both unbeaten.
Right ok. Thanks Darandio.
I’d assume that India would be the most difficult to beat out of the two?

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Looking at the table we might need to win both and will need to win one of those games BUT the fixture list gives us a chance. A lots depends now on the on the results of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Playing like we have recently we wont win anything.

I thought England did well to limit the Aussies to 285-7 especially from 173-1 but, again, we fell apart. I thought we were beyond this kind of thing. It seems not.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess we’ll see. It looks like a difficult task.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see how the current English summer weather turns out on the days of all the remaining matches to be played.
It'd be a tragedy to get any 'no results' out of the remaining matches, or Duckworth-Lewis's. Pakistan stood no chance against India after the last rain interruption, whereas they might have overhauled the Indian score if the match had gone its full course, unlikely though it was. I can't see our usual two spinner policy paying dividends, besides which Mooen seems to have forgotten how to bat.

Pakenhamtrain

You see I don't know what the best moment of the game was. Not sure if it was the 100 plus run opening stand, Starc's yorker, Behrendorff I could go on.

But these scenes warm the heart though:
tpeA7pZ.png

DLk2obB.png

Howardh

Established Member
I suppose the World Cup is a mildly interesting competition while I wait between Lancashire games....

DelW

Established Member
Right ok. Thanks Darandio.
I’d assume that India would be the most difficult to beat out of the two?
Referring you, Sir, to the parallel thread(s) on English language pedantry (to which you've contributed); with only two matches left, India would have to be the more difficult to beat, we'd need at least three for one of them to be the most difficult.

I'll get my coat and leave quietly :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You see I don't know what the best moment of the game was. Not sure if it was the 100 plus run opening stand, Starc's yorker, Behrendorff I could go on.

But these scenes warm the heart though:

juts wait for the ashes when we can play on pitches that the ICC haven't fiddled about with to reduce any swing. ;)

PS Is it just me of was that pitch yesterday was awfully green. Was it just a trick of TV close ups?

Pakenhamtrain

juts wait for the ashes when we can play on pitches that the ICC haven't fiddled about with to reduce any swing. ;)

PS Is it just me of was that pitch yesterday was awfully green. Was it just a trick of TV close ups?
It looked green close up.

The ball was hooping around a bit and we managed ok. It was actually a good battle between bat and ball early.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It looked green close up.

The ball was hooping around a bit and we managed ok. It was actually a good battle between bat and ball early.

That one day white ball inst great for movement. I tohught England did well to pull Australia back in after a decent start. Sadly the batting completely fell apart.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Our batting is made of glass. It has fallen apart a few times this World Cup.

The difference was Finch got a ton. He was supported by Warner ( booooooooooooooo ) other than Stokes England failed utterly. It took a hell of ball to get rid of Stokes mind!

PS the run out of Stoinis was very funny!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Referring you, Sir, to the parallel thread(s) on English language pedantry (to which you've contributed); with only two matches left, India would have to be the more difficult to beat, we'd need at least three for one of them to be the most difficult.

I'll get my coat and leave quietly :)
Oh the shame. :oops::lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
New Zealand 82-4 after 26 overs: only 24 overs to go. Williamson still there, but.... Mind you, if you wanted a team to mess it up from there, Pakistan would be odds-on. Still, I hope they win, NZ are due a loss.

stantheman

On Moderation
Foregone conclusion Aus will win , best openers and bowlers . One day Maxwell will play the innings to end all innings , he is due a big score .
And aus will whitewash the Ashes . Sorry but I do not like Aus but must be realistic .

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Coincidence or what?

Pakistan won the 1992 World Cup. Seven matches into it, they not only had the same number of wins, losses and no results as in this year's World Cup, but in exactly the same order e.g. it was the third match in each series which failed to produce a result. Pakistan next play Afghanistan. Place your bets!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Coincidence or what?

Pakistan won the 1992 World Cup. Seven matches into it, they not only had the same number of wins, losses and no results as in this year's World Cup, but in exactly the same order e.g. it was the third match in each series which failed to produce a result. Pakistan next play Afghanistan. Place your bets!

Well if England beat New Zealand next week then Pakistan will be out of the world cup.

Really pleased with Englands performance against India today, winning by over 30 runs!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well if England beat New Zealand next week then Pakistan will be out of the world cup.

Really pleased with Englands performance against India today, winning by over 30 runs!
An interesting match - would India be more pleased to see England through to the semi-finals than they would Pakistan?