• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
He is a cheat and a fantastic batsman. Sadly the later will always be tainted by the former no matter how much people seek to absolve him. That is what annoys me the most. He had no need to allow his side to cheat.
I take a longer-term view. I think 'sandpapergate' will be put into perspective and be forgotten about by most cricket followers in a very short space of time, although the 'Barmy Army' will doubtless seek to milk it for evermore. A recent obituary for the Pakistani leg spinner Abdul Qadir, who shone intermittently prior to Shane Warne's emergence, quoted him as saying he hadn't known any of his fast bowling teammates who hadn't tampered with the ball, and who can forget Michael Atherton's dirt in pocket when he captained against South Africa? Well, actually, most have forgotten or never knew about it in the first place. The fact is, if you're a sub-standard bowler you won't gain anything from ball tampering, whereas the geniuses (Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, for instance) would become even more lethal. Would that batsmen could learn some new tricks, now that the advantage of huge cudgels has been shown to be nothing in test cricket should you lack the basic skills.

OK, above slightly tongue in cheek, but Smith's achievement won't be overshadowed imo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The WBBL and BBL have changed the playing conditions for WBBL|05 BBL|09 to avoid the world cup farce. In the round robbin games if it's tied after the super over it's a tie and points get shared. In finals they will play multiple supovers

How many multiple super overs, please? I can see (okay, with my tongue very firmly in my cheek!) the captain of the side that's losing after what should be the final over saying "Why don't we have one more" and that then becoming another one more, and another one more .. etc., etc., .. !!

Pakenhamtrain

How many multiple super overs, please? I can see (okay, with my tongue very firmly in my cheek!) the captain of the side that's losing after what should be the final over saying "Why don't we have one more" and that then becoming another one more, and another one more .. etc., etc., .. !!
If it's tied after the super over they play another one. Tied after that they play another. They keep going until there's a winner.

EM2

Established Member
Essex clinch the County Championship for the second time in three years, after being 63 behind Somerset after the first innings.
Somerset then forfeited their second innings, in the hope of getting Essex all out again but were unsuccessful.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This posting, made quite some time ago, has been correct in all respects. It has now been announced that Lancashire will not be renewing the contract of Haseeb Hameed.

An update to that is that Haseeb Hameed has signed a two-year contract with Nottinghamshire, who will play next season in Division Two, with Lancashire moving up to Division One of the County Championship.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I remember going to Old Trafford and watching Clive Lloyd bat for Lancashire. I am showing my age!

Indeed, you will also remember the number of times that both Clive Lloyd and Harry Pilling were in together, where their size differences were indeed notable. One noted Lancashire wag used to shout out..."Run through his legs, Harry!!!"

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Indeed, you will also remember the number of times that both Clive Lloyd and Harry Pilling were in together, where their size differences were indeed notable. One noted Lancashire wag used to shout out..."Run through his legs, Harry!!!"

Clive was so big his bat looked like a matchstick. And of course there was the absolutely wonderful Jacky Bond

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Clive was so big his bat looked like a matchstick. And of course there was the absolutely wonderful Jacky Bond
Us old Kent fans are not so keen on Jackie Bond, given his big moment of fame was at our expense! Imagine Clive in the T20 game - he'd make Chris Gayle seem like an amateur. David Hughes and Jack Simmons were my favourite Lancs characters, though. Not a chance Big Jack could ever be a professsional cricketer in this day and age, which is cricket's loss imo.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes caught Asif in the deep when he was on 86 and going ape**** IIRC - Gillette Cup final ? or was it the B@H final
I think it was the Gillette, but couldn't swear to it. I attended a few of each, but not on that occasion. It was a stunning catch, which seemed to amaze Bond as much as everyone else.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Gillette Cup match that will always stay in my memory was the 1971 semi-final between Lancashire and Gloucestershire at Old Trafford. David Hughes came into bat for Lancashire at 8.45pm in front of a packed ground with the station lights shining brightly on the platforms of the adjacent Warwick Road railway station and the light was very poor, but with Lancashire needing over 20 runs with only a few overs remaining, proceeded to hit 24 from an over to clinch a place in the final.

bspahh

Established Member
I think it was the Gillette, but couldn't swear to it. I attended a few of each, but not on that occasion. It was a stunning catch, which seemed to amaze Bond as much as everyone else.

There is a video of it here

Busaholic

Veteran Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11...sZYv4-85QqhB5dXJlWQd92MoVO6cvJxAZid20wQ3-DPd0
ABC article on Steve Smith's batting.

This quote is rather amusing
Yes, but it makes sense in the context: Bradman was freakish. Interesting that spectators at the time never enthused about the strokes Bradman played, just the resulting scores (if you were an Aussie!) so that's very comparable to Smith. 'Never mind the quality, feel the width' as the old ITV sitcom had it.

Pakenhamtrain

The First test between Australia and Pakistan is underway
Pakistan won the toss and decided to bat. For the first session is was a wise call. Starting out 0/75 before the wickets started tumbling by the days end Pakistan were all out for 240.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The First Test between New Zealand and England is also underway and at the end of Day 1, England batting with more discipline than of late noting T20-style batting was not required in a five-day Test Match, ended the day on 241-4 from 90 overs bowled. Root, now batting at number 4, fell for only 2.
Denly 74
Stokes 67 not out
Burns 52.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of the First Test saw Stokes only add a further 24 runs to his overnight score before being dismissed for 91 and what had seemed a good position for England at the end of the first day fell apart, losing their last six wickets in adding only 112 runs, being all out for 353. Only Buttler with 43 showed much resistance. Southee with 4-88 and Wagner with 3-90 were the main wicket takers for New Zealand.

New Zealand also did not take full advantage when they batted, Williamson being dismissed for only 51 and at close of play, New Zealand were 144-4 from 51 overs bowled.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm so glad that Glamorgan have signed Marnus for another two years … he's a tremendous player and a very nice guy.

Now, all we need is for Australia to let him play for us for the whole season(s) and not call him back for tests or other matches.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the First Test match saw New Zealand achieve what England did not do, which was to build a sound platform on an overnight score. They ended the day on 394-6, a lead of 41 runs with four wickets in hand, with Watling in at number 6 scoring 119 not out and de Grandhomme in at number 7 scoring 65 before being dismissed.

The only English bowler so far to record a good bowling performance was Stokes with figures of 16 - 4 - 37 - 2.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 of the First Test saw New Zealand remorselessly grinding English hopes away and before they were both dismissed, Watling completed his double hundred with 205 and Santer in at number 8 completed his hundred with 126 and when New Zealand declared, they had reached a total of 615-9.

England were put into bat for the remaining last part of the final session and when a cool head and good judgement were the order of the day, fell to 55-3 at the close of play with Burns, Sibley and night-watchman Leach all dismissed, with Santer recording the remarkable figures of 8.4 - 4 - 6 - 3.

Ferret

Established Member
There is an elephant in the room at present; Joe Root is not a captain.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm so glad that Glamorgan have signed Marnus for another two years … he's a tremendous player and a very nice guy.

Now, all we need is for Australia to let him play for us for the whole season(s) and not call him back for tests or other matches.
You'll be lucky not to lose him part way through: they won't want him playing for a whole season, I'd have thought, regardless of Australian international commitments. Just think, if Smith hadn't got concussed he might not have made his test debut yet!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
You'll be lucky not to lose him part way through: they won't want him playing for a whole season, I'd have thought, regardless of Australian international commitments. Just think, if Smith hadn't got concussed he might not have made his test debut yet!

You may be right about him missing some part of the season, but I hope that he doesn't, because he's the best player by far for us. He'd actually played five or six Tests before being called into replace Steve Smith in the Ashes. However, he hadn't made a big impression and wasn't included in the A tour of the UK before the Ashes, which is why he was able to sign for Glamorgan.