• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of the Second Test saw Anderson being dismissed very early, allowing the England bowlers a chance to make inroads and South Africa were 40-3 at one stage, then a good stand between Elgar (88) and van der Dussen (68) took the score to 157-4 before Elgar was dismissed. South Africa did not concentrate on using sensible batting tactics or strategy for that matter and closed the day on 215-8 from 84.4 overs, losing two wickets very late on. Stokes took four catches and Anderson had figures of 16.4 - 6 -34 - 3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Two very poor batting line ups, as bad as England’s dismissals were yesterday, SA’s have been woeful today. Hard to call
this Test cricket tbh, more an exercise in giving catching practice.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two facts from this Test.

England have NEVER played four under-23s before now in the same test (Crawley, Pope, Sam Curran, Bess) and Sibley and Crawley is the first RHB opening parnership for England since 2002 v India (Vaughan and Key). Vic Marks in the Guardian says Sibley's physique reminds him of Key, which I take as a good sign given Key scored a test double century!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the Second Test saw Anderson take the last two New Zealand wickets very quickly, to leave them 223 all out. Another "five for" haul for Anderson (5-40).

England second innings showed them remorselessly grinding out a slow paced but good lead, aided by Sibley (85 not out) and Root (61) to finish the day leading by 261 runs.

Pakenhamtrain

The new years test has been run and won and Australia whitewash the series.
AUS 454 & 2dec/217
NZ 256 & 136

Shane Warne will be auctioning off his baggy green to raise funds for bushfire relief.
Many cricketers are jumping on board the donating train with them offering 250 bucks for every 4/6 and wickets.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 of the Second Test saw England finally declare their second innings at 391-8, with a patient knock of 133 not out by Sibley and a typical Stokes innings of 72 being the highlights, setting South Africa a stiff target of 438 runs to win.

In reply, South Africa in their second innings only lost two wickets in closing the day on 126-2, with Malan on 63 not out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 5 of the Second Test saw England take three of the required eight wickets needed to win in the morning session but South Africa adding 111 runs during the day until absolute batting disaster struck them at 237-5. They then proceeded to lose their remaining five wickets for only nine runs being all out for 246, with Stokes taking three of them and to return figures of 23.4 - 8 - 33 -3.

England won by 189 runs.

Monarch010

A fascinating match, and an excellent argument against the introduction of four-day test matches.

Pakenhamtrain

Last nights BBL top of the table clash saw records tumble.
The Melbourne Stars Marcus Stoinis carried his bat and scored a record 147.
It was also the highest partnership in the BBL with the first wicket not falling until 207 runs were scored

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the Third Test saw disruption due to the weather, but South Africa were 71-4, then 109-5, at one stage with Bess taking all the five wickets. England did not help their cause as de Kock was dropped on 30, then 56, then 63. Stokes took the only other wicket to fall, but an unbroken stand of 54 between de Kock and Philander saw South Africa close the day on 208-6.

Bess would be pleased with his bowling return of 31 - 12 - 51 - 5.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 of the Third Test saw batting disaster of the highest magnitude, as South Africa from their overnight score of 208-6 hoping to add much needed runs to their total, totally collapse to 209 all out, the loss of their final four wickets for just one run, three of these falling to Broad. England naturally enforced the follow on.

South Africa, in their second innings, needing nearly two full days to bat through for a draw, were undone by an unusually good spell of bowling by Root (of all people) who returned figures of 19 - 11 - 31 - 4 and at close of play, South Africa were 102-6.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 5 of the Third Test saw South Africa lose three of their last four wickets quickly, but matters were then held up by a spirited last wicket stand of 99 by Mararaj (71, with 3x6 and 10x4) and Paterson 39 not out until that stand was finally broken and South Africa were all out for 237.

Root.........29 - 13 - 87 - 4
Wood......16.5 - 6 - 32 - 3

England go 2-1 up in the series.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Fourth Test was affected by the weather and only 54 overs were played. England had an opening stand of 107, then lost the wickets of Crawley (66), Sibley (44), Denly (27) and Stokes (2). Root and Pope now at the crease and England closed the day on 192-4.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Last wicket stand between Wood and Broad of 82 was the highest 10th-wicket partnership at The Wanderers. Beating de Villiers' and Donald's 71 in 1994-95 against Pakistan.

This was a fitting end to the England 1st innings total of 400 on Day 2 of the Fourth Test, which saw both Root and Pope complete their 50s, then the last three batsmen all recording good tail end-scores:-
No 9 ...Woakes 32
No 10 ..Wood 35 not out
No 11 ..Broad 43

Nortje got a "5 for", 24 - 1 - 110 - 5

South Africa, already one down in the series, with over 40 overs still left in the day to at least put together the type of opening stand that England did, fell apart and at close of play were 88-6. Wood followed up his batting knock with figures of 8.5 - 1 - 21 - 3.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the Fourth Test saw a South African first innings late order stand by de Kock (76) and Pretorius (37), but they were finally all out for 183.
Wood 14.3 - 2 - 46 - 5.

England in their second innings set out to increase their overall lead and Root (58) led the response and they were all out for 248.
Hendricks 15.3 - 2 - 64 - 5.

England have set South Africa a target of 466 to win in two full days play and to square the series

stantheman

On Moderation
If we had to face Starc , Cummins etc in Aus next week I would fear for us . That is how we must measure things . A rubbish SA side , probably their poorest ever . Still , 3 1 is better than a loss . Root has got to be dropped as a batsman , just a grafter

Bobdogs

On Moderation
I don't know if this has been discussed before.
Once again, it appears that the BBC will not be commentating on the forthcoming England cricket tour to Sri Lanka, according to Wisden.
Murdocks lot secured the broadcasting on rights for the last 3 overseas tours and in the area where I do most of my work, the only way to listen to Talk sport 2 on the radio is to sit and listen on top of a hill. I did, once and found the commentary dull and uninspiring, just like the BBC cricket social, a poor apology for their losing the rights
Talk sport have apparently stated that they have no plans to broadcast the forthcoming 2 match series preferring to concentrate on more lucrative longer tours ( the Ashes, hopefully not,but I'm not holding my breath).
What really annoys me though is the money the BBC spend on football, tennis and F1. Earlier this year I was enjoying listening to commentary on the Big Bash on Sports Extra. Just as it was coming to what could have been an exciting conclusion, they switched it to online and inflicted the Australian open tennis on us.
As for F1, I will probably get slated for this, but who listens to the practice sessions?
And how much do the BBC pay for this?
The BBCs' obsession with football is totally over the top as they attempt to gain listeners and viewers. I do enjoy listening to the occasional commentary, but would hope that they could afford more resources to cricket.
I know that they have acquired rights to this 100 competition, in my opinion, merely another money grabbing exercise. I have yet to meet anyone who is showing any sort of enthusiasm for this new competition.
Thank you. Rant over.

scarby

The BBCs' obsession with football is totally over the top as they attempt to gain listeners and viewers. I do enjoy listening to the occasional commentary, but would hope that they could afford more resources to cricket.

The BBC provide audio commentary for the entirety of every competition county cricket match - Championship, T20 and 50 over cup - plus some county v tourist games, plus even some county v university games, the MCC v Champion County game even though it as played at a far-flung overseas venue, and even some minor counties matches as well. Most of the matches require being on air from 11am to 7pm or later daily, for every game.

So you can pretty much listen to cricket most days, all day long, from April to September.

Bobdogs

On Moderation
The BBC provide audio commentary for the entirety of every competition county cricket match - Championship, T20 and 50 over cup - plus some county v tourist games, plus even some county v university games, the MCC v Champion County game even though it as played at a far-flung overseas venue, and even some minor counties matches as well. Most of the matches require being on air from 11am to 7pm or later daily, for every game.

So you can pretty much listen to cricket most days, all day long, from April to September.
I totally agree with you in regard to the coverage during the summer months. Lots of broadcasts, many by local radio which are always interesting. Sadly, the one day cup will no longer be competed for as in recent seasons. My point is that nationwide coverage of the England team especially during winter tours should be provided by the national broadcaster.
Just imagine the uproar if the England football team were playing away and there was no national commentary.