• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
No, not at all easy. I'd prefer to choose a top 20 or 25 myself, because it's also a question of balance. For instance, in a 25 it should be possible to put out a couple of X1s not top heavy with batsmen. Always a bit more difficult to choose bowlers, I'd suggest, as there's less that an individual can do to secure entry in terms of style or beating individual records e.g. no bowler can take more than 10 wickets in an innings! For my money, though, Holding, Marshall, Lindwall and Imran Khan would have to be amongst the fast bowlers, and Viv Richards the batsmen. I'm deliberately not suggesting any England players, past or present. :)
I think for bowlers wouldn't one just pick the four Windian quickies that terrorised England and many others? Then there's Lillain Thomson, Wasim and Waqar, even Anderson and Broad would be in with a shout. But my spinner would be Murali, close call though.

kje7812

I see that certain people in the media who made comment about Old Trafford and rainfall in recent test matches are having to eat their words.
Indeed, has Manchester been mostly dry for the past few days?
Even here in Edinburgh (another place famed for rain), they would have had plenty of play days 1 to 4.

EDIT:
So a predictable draw with the weather, at least Sibley and Crawley managed to get some time out in the middle.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed, has Manchester been mostly dry for the past few days?
Even here in Edinburgh (another place famed for rain), they would have had plenty of play days 1 to 4.
Supposed bad light has been as much an issue as rain in this test. The (self-created) problem is that once play is stopped at a point where light meter readings are made, any time after that when the light meter reaches the same reading play has to be suspended, even if both teams are quite happy to continue. It's all too 2020 (and I'm NOT referencing cricket here.) All we need are algorithms to make life complete. :lol:

kje7812

Supposed bad light has been as much an issue as rain in this test. The (self-created) problem is that once play is stopped at a point where light meter readings are made, any time after that when the light meter reaches the same reading play has to be suspended, even if both teams are quite happy to continue. It's all too 2020 (and I'm NOT referencing cricket here.) All we need are algorithms to make life complete. :lol:
It's been that way for a few years though. There were various suggestions on TMS on Saturday (I think) about what could be done but there's unlikely to be much change.

Pakenhamtrain

Cricket can be over officious when it wants to be. Bad light is one bit of that.

kje7812

England 332-4, Crawley 171* & Buttler 87*. A good recovery from the rather predictable slip to 127-4. Hopefully Crawley and Buttler can carry on for a while long tomorrow. Today was also a full 90 overs, it feels like it's been a long time since that last happened.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
England 332-4, Crawley 171* & Buttler 87*. A good recovery from the rather predictable slip to 127-4. Hopefully Crawley and Buttler can carry on for a while long tomorrow. Today was also a full 90 overs, it feels like it's been a long time since that last happened.

Crawley produced the best batting from an Englishman I’ve seen for many a year (Ben Stokes excepted)

si404

Established Member
Crawley produced the best batting from an Englishman I’ve seen for many a year (Ben Stokes excepted)
His final total 267 is the highest score ever where none of the other top 5 made 30.

England put the Pakistan bowlers out of their misery at 583-8. Buttler's 152 didn't have any boundaries between lunch, and the four to get him that 150 - it was just slow, but showing that he can play like that (while he could have been more aggressive, Pakistan spent ages with the field set towards stopping boundaries, rather than trying to get people out).

si404

Established Member
Our Mr Dependable, Jimmy Anderson, has removed both the Pakistan openers already.
And another!

Pakistan end the day at 24-3. They need 360 more runs to avoid the follow on, and Jimmy needs 4 more wickets to reach 600.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It’s been a long time since I have been so eagerly awaiting a day’s cricket. Only wish I could be there in person.

Trackman

Established Member
It looks like Jimmy will have have to wait, they reckon 4-5 hours after it’s stopped raining for the field to be fit for play.

Mikey C

Established Member
If they come back on the field at 5:30, it'll only be to (hopefully) allow Jimmy to get his 600th :D

Howardh

Established Member
Well done Sir James, Duke of Lancashire. I propose a £600 pound note, with his face on it!

Nethen Fred, who's England's greatest bowler again?? Teehee.

Karl

On Moderation
I'm not a cricket fan, but I do love listening and take an interest to The Ashes. I simply don't understand the rules and scoring etc. But please can somebody explain how this match ended in a draw? England scored 583 for 8 declared and Pakistan only scored 273 and 187 for 4. Surely England would have won? I don't understand.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm not a cricket fan, but I do love listening and take an interest to The Ashes. I simply don't understand the rules and scoring etc. But please can somebody explain how this match ended in a draw? England scored 583 for 8 declared and Pakistan only scored 273 and 187 for 4. Surely England would have won? I don't understand.

To win a test match, a cricket side must take the opposition’s 20 wickets, ie all 10 wickets of both innings. (As always, there are exceptions!).

Howardh

Established Member
I'll try!
Each team has two innings, so A scores 300 (all out all batsmen dismissed), the opposition then score 350 (again all out),team A goes back in and adds to that 300, so they might add 250 all out = a total of 550. team B, alrady having 350 from their first go, then need another 201 from their second innings to beat team A's total.

If they reach that target, then they have won.

If they don't reach that target because team A had them all out - they lose and team A win.

BUT, the game is played, at top level, over 5 days, and if by the end of those five days team B didn't reach the target and team A didn't bowl them all out, then it's no-result (ie a draw).

Over 5 days draws are unusulal, however bad weather means a lot of play can be missed so draws become more likely.

That's simple enough, but you will come across the term "declared". Many times a team, batting, can score so many runs without being bowled out that they think they already have enough runs to win, so they declare their innings closed, so they might be 500 for 6 "declared" - they have batsmen left but won't use them, so declared is basically "all-out/innings finished". It's to make sure they have enough time to bowl the opposition out.