• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

SteveM70

Established Member
And just to complicate things further, when both teams are all out and the scores are equal, that’s not a draw, it’s a tie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I'm not a cricket fan, but I do love listening and take an interest to The Ashes. I simply don't understand the rules and scoring etc. But please can somebody explain how this match ended in a draw? England scored 583 for 8 declared and Pakistan only scored 273 and 187 for 4. Surely England would have won? I don't understand.
It's been explained above. Anyway technically England won with the draw, as they won the series.
Limited over matches like the world cup were they needs to be an outcome (no draws) because of bad weather use something called the Duckworth Lewis Stern system.
But, I'm not going to go into that!
DLS method cannot be used in test matches because of the algorithm it uses.
If it is a draw (limited over tie) by score (England World cup final) they have a super-over a piece.

Karl

On Moderation
Thanks for your answers chaps, but surely if England had batted on then Pakistan would have had an enormous task to even level with England. I suppose it's accepted. I just find it a strange way of scoring. I'll wait until the Ashes. When are the next Ashes by the way?

Trackman

Established Member
Thanks for your answers chaps, but surely if England had batted on then Pakistan would have had an enormous task to even level with England. I suppose it's accepted. I just find it a strange way of scoring. I'll wait until the Ashes. When are the next Ashes by the way?
Every 2 years, 2021 Christmas time.
However, there is absolutey nothing booked test match wise for England next year.

Karl

On Moderation
As I said, I'm not a cricket fan, but when The Ashes come around I love listening to radio commentary on 5 Live. I should be a Lancashire supporter really. In fact I've never been to a live match in my life. I'm sure I'd love it if I tried. I've just never had the opportunity or inclination.

Howardh

Established Member
An England/Australia test was won by Australia, the first time in England, and a bail was burned to honour the "death of English Cricket", those "ashes" are kept in a very small urn. Probably the smallest trophy you can have in sport!

The term originated in a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, immediately after Australia's 1882 victory at The Oval, its first Test win on English soil. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and "the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia".[1] The mythical ashes immediately became associated with the 1882–83 series played in Australia, before which the English captain Ivo Bligh had vowed to "regain those ashes". The English media therefore dubbed the tour the quest to regain the Ashes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A... originated in a,the ashes taken to Australia".

High Dyke

Established Member
And that's the beauty of 'red ball' cricket (i.e. Test matches, domestic county matches etc.) In a five day scheduled game either side could win within the five days, or neither side could win within the five days. I'm very far from being an authority on the laws of the game, but they 'stumped' a few people yesterday afternoon when they reached the expected time the game should end, had a drinks break, and then had to bowl one further ball of the next over before they could shake hands and agree a draw. o_O

SteveM70

Established Member

Yes, and that’s part of the captain and coach’s job - they effectively have to weigh up how long to bat and how far ahead to get before they declare and start trying to get the other team out so they can win. Declare too soon and the other team might get the runs which is embarrassing, declare too late and they may not have time to get the other team out. They also have to consider the weather forecast and how much time might be lost to rain etc

Howardh

Established Member
I can't think of any other sport or game where you simply stop scoring of your own accord and tell your opponents to chase your score down?

Karl

On Moderation
Why can't they both play until they've both finished their innings? 5 days, 6 days? I don't know. (I'm sorry, I'm coming from a newbies perspective.)

Howardh

Established Member
Why can't they both play until they've both finished their innings? 5 days, 6 days? I don't know. (I'm sorry, I'm coming from a newbies perspective.)
They did once in South Africa, the "Timeless Test". Stll playing after ten days, the had to finish because the boat home had to leave. True story, too.
Some Test matches have been 6-days, the ones at the end of a series where everything depends on the last game, but to be honest it's impractical to have endless games, as stuff would need bringing in for the fans, and players have a schedule to keep to and they would be required at another game as soon as one finishes.

In the County Championship sides get bonus points, so if a game's drawn they still have points for the draw and bonus points for first innings achievements and there is a table for teams to climb/go down.

Mikey C

Established Member
It's not realistic for the players, groundstaff, TV companies etc to work like that, they will have other commitments. And it would encourage really slow, boring play as batsmen are able to bat for days and days if they don't get out!

kje7812

Prior to the 1930s quite a lot were unfixed in length but it fell out of favour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeless_Test
In the modern era, there's less time between tests. Finishing one on a monday and starting the next on a friday is common. Also this year is strange as they have played multiple games at the same ground: only southampton and Old Trafford (manchester) have been used. In a normal year, all will be at different grounds so you have to factor in moving time.

Another way of looking at the score thing is that in test cricket there isn't a win by default option like there is in 50-over or Twenty20s. To win you must either chase down the required score or take all of the opposition wickets, depending on the order of batting.

SteveM70

Established Member
They did once in South Africa, the "Timeless Test". Stll playing after ten days, the had to finish because the boat home had to leave. True story, too.

9 days of play over a 12 day period, with two rest days and one day lost to the weather. This was the fifth and final test of the series, the first four had all been conventional five day games

Karl

On Moderation
Thanks for the answers chaps. Appreciated. I'm thinking of giving Lancashire my support. It's ridiculous I've never seen a cricket game live. Out of curiosity, how much is a typical entry fee for a day's cricket at a county match at Old Trafford for an adult. Also, are you allowed to take say a four pack of lagers into the ground?

DelW

Established Member
Why were Southampton and Manchester chosen to host many of the recent matches?
AIUI it's because both venues incorporate large hotels, which enabled both teams, support staff, and media, to stay on the ground within their respective isolation "bubbles".

Howardh

Established Member
Thanks for the answers chaps. Appreciated. I'm thinking of giving Lancashire my support. It's ridiculous I've never seen a cricket game live. Out of curiosity, how much is a typical entry fee for a day's cricket at a county match at Old Trafford for an adult. Also, are you allowed to take say a four pack of lagers into the ground?
Lancashire...fantastic choice!! You can now expect years and years of under-achievement, frustration and banging your head against the wall at management and coaching decisions. Bring a brolly.
Note, county championship games (4 days) yes you can take your own beer/wine ito the ground, use plastic glasses. The other games may besubject to restrictions, they do like you to buy on the ground (profit...ahem).
AIUI it's because both venues incorporate large hotels, which enabled both teams, support staff, and media, to stay on the ground within their respective isolation "bubbles".
Correct, but I was disappointed smaller county grounds with hotels couldn't host some of these games, however a venue like Old Trafford had facilities like indoor nets.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Super win for England today in the T20 v Pakistan. Biggest ever run chase against Pakistan. Cap’n Morgan and Malan both brilliant (in very different ways).

Cletus

Established Member
Malan's batting record is incredible (6x50 1x100 in 12 games, no single figure scores), but he will probably won't make a full strength England team at the moment.

If only he could bowl better, then he could replace Ali, who's international career might soon be over.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Malan's batting record is incredible (6x50 1x100 in 12 games, no single figure scores), but he will probably won't make a full strength England team at the moment.

If only he could bowl better, then he could replace Ali, who's international career might soon be over.

Ali didn’t do himself any favours today.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Mooen Ali's every innings now appears to be giving the fielding side catching practice: he seems to have lost the plot with the bat, and he's not worth his place on bowling alone on most pitches.

3rd rail land

If I were a selector I would be putting Malan in a full strength team. With 6 half and 1 full century in 12 matches one would be mad not to. Moeen needs to be dropped however if he is replaced by Malan then you have one less all rounder in the side, although Moeen isn't much of an all rounder at present with his terrible batting form.

Personally I would really like to see Moeen do well on the international stage but unless he starts producing some good performances sharpish his international career is done for.

HST43257

Established Member
England should try and get the best out of Joe Root in limited overs cricket with the ball. With some long, hard, persistent training we could see the Yorkshireman become a fitting replacement for Moeen, potentially opening up a slot for Malan somewhere in the middle order.

SteveM70

Established Member
He’s already ideal as the “sixth bowler”, ie not expected to give them ten overs in normal circumstances but able to do a job in the event of injury or another bowler having a complete meltdown

HST43257

Established Member
He’s already ideal as the “sixth bowler”, ie not expected to give them ten overs in normal circumstances but able to do a job in the event of injury or another bowler having a complete meltdown
I reckon it would be good to get Root up to a place where he is a regular off spinner, bowling the full 10 overs (or 4 in t20). The only problem I see is that it would leave him as the only off spinner, with Malan (who would be my 6th bowler) being more of a leg spinner, joining Adil Rashid in that department.

This would be my first choice limited overs 11:

Jason Roy
Jonny Bairstow
Joe Root (off spin)
Eoin Morgan (C)
David Malan (leg spin)
Ben Stokes (pace)
Jos Buttler (WK)
Chris Woakes (pace) OR Liam Plunkett (pace)
Adil Rashid (leg spin)
Jofra Archer (pace)
Mark Wood (pace)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trackman

Established Member
I see the England / Australia T20 game is live on BBC1.
When was the last time the BBC screened a live international game?