• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
In the final eliminator in the IPL, Chennai Super Kings rack up a very impressive 222/5 with Murali Vijay scoring a 113 from only 58 balls before being run out on the last ball.

Delhi Daredevils now have to score heavily from the outset, as the required run rate is 11.15 runs/over.

The winner of the match will face Kolkata Knight Riders in the final on Sunday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Daredevils are in a bit of trouble ....

In the first 6 overs where there is fielding restrictions (only 2 men allowed outside the circle), they are currently 46/2 with Warner and Sehwag back in the dressing room already. The required run rate is now 12.6 runs/over.

LE Greys

Established Member
And two drops off Jimmy! I did like the comment on the BBC site wondering how he could resist shouting "See, that's how to do it" when he caught the ball.

I believe Boycott said something similar, but was a bit distracted at the time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
After the loss of four wickets, the West Indies began to show that they still have middle-order players who can steady matters and gradually build a long partnership. Matters have definitely improved for them over the last five years in that respect.
Well, it is good to see a number 8 batsman scoring a century in a Test Match and at least the West Indies succeeded in posting a good first innings total. Jimmy Anderson bowled as many maidens (12) as the rest of all the other bowlers combined.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes, a captain's innings saves the WIndies from a low total. With Strauss' century, we seem to have a match on our hands.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that should be game over. I can't see the West Indies recovering from effectively 3 for 6 which is a shame as this was shaping up to be quite an interesting test match.

LE Greys

Established Member
Looks like the pitch is coming to the bowlers nicely. 100 to win might cause a trip-up if it happens. Pretty good by Bresnan, certainly.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looks like the pitch is coming to the bowlers nicely. 100 to win might cause a trip-up if it happens. Pretty good by Bresnan, certainly.

Well. West Indies managed to post a total of 165 all out eventually, but surely the 100 or so runs should not be beyond the capability of England.

With this weather we are having, the West Indies must feel at home..:D

It is now all over.....England 111 - 1...... to win by nine wickets and go two up in the series.

Strauss.....45

Cook........43 not out

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
And the first clouds reported over the ground by one H. Blofeld. Pretty comprehensive, and Cook helps his average. I was rather hoping that we could get there without losing a wicket, but we can't have everything. Just missed the last few overs because I was just about to get the train home and long-wave radios don't like squirrel cage traction motors.

ACE1888

England thoroughly professional today and deservedly go 2-0 up in the series, anyone of a similar age to me (44) will remember only too well being so one sided the other way round back in the late 70's/all the 80's, sort out our 'vulnerability' in the sub continent and we could be No.1 for a good while, South Africa will be a REAL 'Test' this summer
Personally, in my 30th season this year with Ludgvan 2nds (Cornwall Division 5 West League), we won Div 6 last year easily, and this season we've won our opening 5 matches...off to a 'flyer' as they say :D
Favourite All Time Bowler: Sir Richard Hadlee(New Zealand)
Favourite Batsman: Derek Randall (Nottinghamshire and England)
Current England side: Tim Bresnan

Great 'thread' ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England thoroughly professional today and deservedly go 2-0 up in the series, anyone of a similar age to me (44) will remember only too well being so one sided the other way round back in the late 70's/all the 80's, sort out our 'vulnerability' in the sub continent and we could be No.1 for a good while, South Africa will be a REAL 'Test' this summer
Personally, in my 30th season this year with Ludgvan 2nds (Cornwall Division 5 West League), we won Div 6 last year easily, and this season we've won our opening 5 matches...off to a 'flyer' as they say :D

Great 'thread' ;)

In those days, the West Indies could always be relied upon to have a battery of four fast bowlers of the very highest class and a certain Garfield Sobers to make batting look like it was only invented for Don Bradman and himself.

My congratulations to you on achieving 30 years of league cricket. I only played for Middleton 3rd XI (Central Lancashire League) up to the age of 15, but the coaching from the team professional was far better than what our grammar school had to offer. From 15 onwards, I played fly-half for the school rugby team and in summer, athletics gradually took over from cricket due to a particularly "nasty piece of work" of an athletics teacher who hated cricket and did all that he could to ensure that the school Saturday athletics coaching always came at the same time as the cricket..<(<(

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

Great 'thread' ;)

The West Indies bowling attack fileld me with fear in 1984, and I was glad I was nowhere near the wicket when Marshall, Holding, Garner and Baptiste were coming in to bowl!

Marshall was at his peak, and I couldn't see the ball when watching him bowl on TV. Holding had slowed down a bit since his peak at 1976, bit was still a very dangerous bowler.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The West Indies bowling attack fileld me with fear in 1984, and I was glad I was nowhere near the wicket when Marshall, Holding, Garner and Baptiste were coming in to bowl!

Marshall was at his peak, and I couldn't see the ball when watching him bowl on TV. Holding had slowed down a bit since his peak at 1976, bit was still a very dangerous bowler.

Michael Holding had the most graceful run up of all fast bowlers I have ever seen since I first started watching cricket in the mid 1960's, I don't think any bowler could approach the wicket so languidly and with such ease. If I were to be granted one wish of seeing a test match series again* it would be the summer of 1976, when England had no chance against the WI attack, even recalling Brian Close who had first played a test in 1948.

* apart from any victory agaginst Australia, of course!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Speaking of West Indies fast bowlers in their heyday, has anyone watched Fire in Babylon? An absolutely cracking documentary about the rise of West Indies cricket featuring interviews with all the main stars of those 80s line ups and plenty of archive footage. Really really good.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Michael Holding had the most graceful run up of all fast bowlers I have ever seen since I first started watching cricket in the mid 1960's, I don't think any bowler could approach the wicket so languidly and with such ease. If I were to be granted one wish of seeing a test match series again* it would be the summer of 1976, when England had no chance against the WI attack, even recalling Brian Close who had first played a test in 1948.

* apart from any victory agaginst Australia, of course!

I would love to have experienced watching the 1976 series. My memories of it are pretty much limited to Brian Close being called up at the age of 45.

I didn't really become a fan of cricket until a couple of years later.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It has been announced that the "switch-hit" has now been declared to be a legitimate shot by a committee of the International Cricket Council.

This type of shot came to the fore due to Kevin Petersen, who has this week announced his retirement from all types of international limited-overs cricket at the somewhat early age of only 31.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good lord an out break of common sense by the ICC? Who'd have thought it? It would have been a travesty if this shot had been banned.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Good lord an out break of common sense by the ICC? Who'd have thought it? It would have been a travesty if this shot had been banned.

Indeed, remember when the Chairman of the Selectors, I think it was Ted Dexter, banned the reverse sweep after Mike Gatting was out playing the shot in a Test Match.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At last, Lancashire recorded their first win, this season, in the County Championship against Durham, with four balls to spare.
I see that it has been announced that Jimmy Anderson will be rested for the next Test Match to allow him to recover from some of the less minor injuries that he has been carrying.

LE Greys

Established Member
I see that it has been announced that Jimmy Anderson will be rested for the next Test Match to allow him to recover from some of the less minor injuries that he has been carrying.

Chance for Graham Onions or Steven Finn to return to international cricket.

David

Established Member
After watching Gayle decimate all bowlers in the IPL (quite a few of them world class), I hope he isn't available either!

Yes, I realise that the IPL is a different kettle of fish compared to normal 1 day games, but the basic principle is the same .... score more runs than the other team ....

andrew bell

The West Indies are hopeful that Chris Gayle will be available to play in the one-day matches against England.

I am sure that some of the England bowlers hope that he will NOT be available..:roll:

Personally I think they will want Gayle to play, he is one of the best limited over batsmen in the world and will take great pleasure playing against him, plus it gives them a chance to get him out and tell the grandkids :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it's official play has been called off for the day at Edgbaston.

Ferret

Established Member
From what I'm hearing on TMS, we might lost the first two days. :(

I think that's nailed on to be honest! Absolutely honking it down in Birmingham. I'm off tomorrow and was hoping to watch some cricket. Fat chance of that - any beer festivals on this weekend?!:)