• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

birchesgreen

Established Member
I like that! But it did set me wondering how many other first class counties have played outside their (original) county boundary.
Warwickshire often play 2nd XI games at Barnt Green, which is in Worcestershire (though has a Birmingham postcode).

Of course Warwickshire play most of their home games outside of their "home" county.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
For all of Cox’s brilliance in the final both with the bat and in the field, he got a golden duck in the semi final.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I'm not certain whether it is worth taking anyone on the strength of a T20 performance. I'm not certain whether Cox would have played if Alex Blake had been fit; he's only 20, needs to get more cricket under his belt. I don't know if there is a Lions tour, if so, that might be a possible.
Oh, I'm not suggesting that such a performance should lead to selection...just pointing out that Selectors of old were - rather bizarrely - influenced by a stand-out performance on cup final day.

SteveM70

Established Member
Oh, I'm not suggesting that such a performance should lead to selection...just pointing out that Selectors of old were - rather bizarrely - influenced by a stand-out performance on cup final day.

Cox also got a golden duck in the semi final earlier in the day. Such is the fickle nature of t20 cricket I suppose

Typhoon

Established Member
Sorry, really I was trying to indicate that I can sort of understand how a good performance in a 40 or 50 over final could lead to selection (performed well on a big occasion, built a reasonable innings - century or just short, took wickets in a 4 or 5 over spell) but T20 is a whole lot different. He did score 238 not out last year.
(My caution is influenced by Zac Crawley's experience.)

Cox also got a golden duck in the semi final earlier in the day. Such is the fickle nature of t20 cricket I suppose
Oddly a golden duck is probably worth more than say 5 or 6 scored over 3 or 4 overs if you are at the top of the order. His dismissal led to Stevo getting a bat and we needed his runs.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I seem to remember at one time both Gloucestershire and Somerset played matches in Bristol. One of them (I guess Somerset) played at the Imperial Tobacco Ground, rather ironically.
I used to visit the Imperial ground regularly with Newport CC in the old Western League. It had a very large wooden pavilion with the scorebox on the top level with a great view of the wicket, especially the one end. Sadly, it burnt down in mysterious circumstances quite a few years ago, and later the club merged with Optimists CC to form Bristol CC.

Hawkwood Junc

I had a great day out at Edgbaston on Saturday. The Cox/Milnes catch happened right in front of me - absolutely superb.

In terms of counties playing outside of their (traditionalish) boundaries, here's some of the ones I can think of:

Lancashire at Sedbergh
Nottinghamshire at Grantham and Cleethorpes
Somerset at Torquay
Northamptonshire at Luton and Milton Keynes
Hampshire at Arundel (Bournemouth too but that was Hampshire until the 70s if I remember rightly)
Durham at Jesmond/Gosforth
Derbyshire at Leek, Burton and Cheadle
Glamorgan at various

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Northamptonshire at Luton and Milton Keynes
Durham at Jesmond/Gosforth
I have seen Northants play a 20/20 at Campbell Park in Milton Keynes. I think they have also played games at Bletchley in the past.

Durham used to play at Darlington, Stockton, Gateshead, Hartlepooh & Ropery Lane in Chester le Street. They also played at Jesomnd and Gosforth although neither of the last two are in Durham!

This was before the Riverside opened.

I also saw Yorkshire play at Middlesbrough and in York.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The County Championship 4-day match between Surrey and Glamorgan seems to have been played on an ideal batting track with each side only batting for a single innings. Two players made double hundreds and three players made hundreds.

Glamorgan 672-6 (declared)
Cooke 205 not out
Lloyd 121

Surrey 722-4
Pope 274
Amla 163
Smith 138

SteveM70

Established Member
The County Championship 4-day match between Surrey and Glamorgan seems to have been played on an ideal batting track with each side only batting for a single innings. Two players made double hundreds and three players made hundreds.

Glamorgan 672-6 (declared)
Cooke 205 not out
Lloyd 121

Surrey 722-4
Pope 274
Amla 163
Smith 138

And interestingly all eleven Glamorgan players bowled. I imagine that started as desperation to take wickets, and descended into last game of the season, it’s going to be a draw fun and games

DelW

Established Member
A great result for Warwickshire, whose declaration this morning proved well timed. Congratulations too to Chris Woakes, six wickets in the match for the second time in succession, and the only player to have featured in both today's squad and the 2012 championship winning side. A great county player who has often seemed to be under-used by England, despite performing well for both county and country when given the opportunity.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A great result for Warwickshire, whose declaration this morning proved well timed. Congratulations too to Chris Woakes, six wickets in the match for the second time in succession, and the only player to have featured in both today's squad and the 2012 championship winning side. A great county player who has often seemed to be under-used by England, despite performing well for both county and country when given the opportunity.
He's a splendid fellow who makes the most of what talent he has and is a great team player. Quite why Sam Curran has been preferred to him on occasions is unfathomable to me, the latter not even being a fifth bowler at test level imo. Whether Woakes would ever survive the course on Australian grounds with the Kookaburra ball is another matter, but it's been a graveyard for many an England bowler over the years.

Maybe Yates of Warwickshire should be sent on the tour of Australia, should it take place. Jake Libby, though, who Notts didn't want to lose before he signed up for Worcs, would be my choice for the extra batting place. I suspect James Vince's recent form will see his return, and maybe Marcus Crane too, the legspinner. It's a shame, but Matt Parkinson's lack of batting skills will probably cause his omission from a potential Test side.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Matt Parkinson is at risk of no longer being the best cricketer in his family

Oh, and it’s Mason Crane isn’t it?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Matt Parkinson is at risk of no longer being the best cricketer in his family

Oh, and it’s Mason Crane isn’t it?
Maybe the other Parkinson should be tried if another left arm spinner who can bat a bit is preferred to Jack Leach.

Mason Crane it is, knew Marcus didn't sound right. It's my age, only knew others by their surnames at my all-boys school: the bad old days. :)

PauloDavesi

Warwickshires victory was achieved with hardly any contribution from overseas players, and having their top four seam bowlers unavailable, due to injury &/or England call ups, for most of the season. They are a young side that will continue to improve, and hopefully, win many more trophys over the next few years.
As a cricket supporter, winning the County Championship is the trophy that matters most, so it was very enjoyable to watch this Warwickshire side grow and develop over the season.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
And interestingly all eleven Glamorgan players bowled. I imagine that started as desperation to take wickets, and descended into last game of the season, it’s going to be a draw fun and games
I wonder whether a record number of players bowling in a Championship match (18 - Surrey 7, Glamorgan 11) was created, and whether there has been another instance of all eleven players bowling in one innings?

SteveM70

Established Member
I wonder whether a record number of players bowling in a Championship match (18 - Surrey 7, Glamorgan 11) was created, and whether there has been another instance of all eleven players bowling in one innings?

Ive no idea.

I can remember an instance of a wicketkeeper bowling though. Essex v Leicestershire in 1986, Phil DeFreitas took 13/86 in the match to leave Leicestershire one to win in their second innings. Jonathan Agnew opened the batting, and the Essex keeper David East opened the bowling, whilst still wearing his wicketkeeper gear. Aggers took a single off the second ball to seal victory

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On the latter point, yes, many instances in old times when 3 day matches were grinding to a draw. Often, in more recent times, this tactic was used to avoid deductions for low over rates. Almost every wicketkeeper used to appear in career bowling averages, some even with wickets (plural) to their name. I believe A.C. Smith of Warwickshire, not to be confused with M.J.K. of the same era, achieved particular success in this field. I'd be surprised if 18 was the overall record, but then I get surprised every day! :)

Typhoon

Established Member
On the latter point, yes, many instances in old times when 3 day matches were grinding to a draw. Often, in more recent times, this tactic was used to avoid deductions for low over rates. Almost every wicketkeeper used to appear in career bowling averages, some even with wickets (plural) to their name. I believe A.C. Smith of Warwickshire, not to be confused with M.J.K. of the same era, achieved particular success in this field. I'd be surprised if 18 was the overall record, but then I get surprised every day! :)
A.C. Smith was captain of Warks at the same time as West Indies keeper Deryck Murray played for the county so Smith often played as an all rounder (in that his batting was average and he could take wickets but was a traditional captain).

I think also keepers sometimes bowled when a side were trying to feed the opposition runs so that they would declare early enough to make a game of it (particularly in the days of 3 day games). It didn't matter that their bowling average ended up being affected.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A.C. Smith was captain of Warks at the same time as West Indies keeper Deryck Murray played for the county so Smith often played as an all rounder (in that his batting was average and he could take wickets but was a traditional captain).

I think also keepers sometimes bowled when a side were trying to feed the opposition runs so that they would declare early enough to make a game of it (particularly in the days of 3 day games). It didn't matter that their bowling average ended up being affected.
Smith seemed like a sort of Mike Brearley without the intellectual element. Mind you, I'm not sure Smith was capable of scoring a triple century, whereas Brearley proved he could, albeit in a game of no import!

Typhoon

Established Member
Smith seemed like a sort of Mike Brearley without the intellectual element. Mind you, I'm not sure Smith was capable of scoring a triple century, whereas Brearley proved he could, albeit in a game of no import!
With a team that at times contained the likes of Rohan Kanhai, Lance Gibbs, Deryck Murray and Alvin Kallicharran they could afford to give Smith a place.

DelW

Established Member
That's a bit harsh, since AC captained the Oxford University side in the late 1950s, where he attended Brasenose College. I don't think anyone would have got to Oxford without fairly good academic and intellectual skills.

Typhoon

Established Member
That's a bit harsh, since AC captained the Oxford University side in the late 1950s, where he attended Brasenose College. I don't think anyone would have got to Oxford without fairly good academic and intellectual skills.
I cannot answer for what @Busaholic meant but Brearley used his intellectual abilities and learning in his role as captain that I'm not sure that anyone before or since has. I believe that the Aussies choose the best eleven on ability as players then select the best captain from them. However, I would say that if Brearley was picked, he should be picked as captain, or not at all.

If Smith is being described as being inferior to Brearley, I'm not sure that this is an insult, most were. Some players make great captains, although average players, Jack Bond of Lancs for instance, and are well worth including in the team for their ability to motivate, think originally and just do the right thing at the right time. I don't know whether Smith fits that bill but Brearley had that in spades.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The England captain who seems to have been the most ruthless, tactics-wise, must surely be Douglas Jardine in the "Bodyline" 1932/1933 Test Match series, who used Harold Larwood to devastating effect.

I can remember an instance of a wicketkeeper bowling though. Essex v Leicestershire in 1986, Phil DeFreitas took 13/86 in the match to leave Leicestershire one to win in their second innings. Jonathan Agnew opened the batting, and the Essex keeper David East opened the bowling, whilst still wearing his wicketkeeper gear. Aggers took a single off the second ball to seal victory
Lancashire had a well-known wicket-keeper opening batsman, Farouk Engineer, in the period from 1968-1978, who played at the highest level for both country and county. Years ago, someone told me that he had bowled during his career when he was in India in his early days. Records show his best bowling was 1-40 but that was the only wicket to his credit at first-class level. Years later, I was amazed to see how much weight he had gained in his later years.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I cannot answer for what @Busaholic meant but Brearley used his intellectual abilities and learning in his role as captain that I'm not sure that anyone before or since has. I believe that the Aussies choose the best eleven on ability as players then select the best captain from them. However, I would say that if Brearley was picked, he should be picked as captain, or not at all.

If Smith is being described as being inferior to Brearley, I'm not sure that this is an insult, most were. Some players make great captains, although average players, Jack Bond of Lancs for instance, and are well worth including in the team for their ability to motivate, think originally and just do the right thing at the right time. I don't know whether Smith fits that bill but Brearley had that in spades.
I didn't mean to impugn A.C. Smith's intelligence. Someone, possibly Botham or Boycott, said Brearley had a degree in people, and that seems apposite.

Rohan Kanhai gave the best batting performance I've ever seen in person, absolutely magical and the work of genius, and I'm even happier to say it was against Surrey in a cup semi-final at the Oval. At the same ground in 1975 during the first World Cup the unknown Alvin Kallicharan took four consecutive fours off a very well-known Dennis Lillee, who had steam coming from every orifice after the first two, not helped by the goading of arch-joker Maxie Walker from very deep mid off. :) I was feet away.

Typhoon

Established Member
I didn't mean to impugn A.C. Smith's intelligence. Someone, possibly Botham or Boycott, said Brearley had a degree in people, and that seems apposite.

Rohan Kanhai gave the best batting performance I've ever seen in person, absolutely magical and the work of genius, and I'm even happier to say it was against Surrey in a cup semi-final at the Oval. At the same ground in 1975 during the first World Cup the unknown Alvin Kallicharan took four consecutive fours off a very well-known Dennis Lillee, who had steam coming from every orifice after the first two, not helped by the goading of arch-joker Maxie Walker from very deep mid off. :) I was feet away.
Sorry, I was just trying to respond to #6386, I reckon Brearley was a one-off. It is not the weakness of Smith - and others - that is in question in my eyes, it is the strength of Brearley as a captain. As you say, the class of Warks West Indians (as well as having the likes of Amiss and Jameson in the side) meant that Smith's modest batting would often take on a supporting role if that, but it would need a different type of captaincy. It is not always that easy to captain a team where many are in the top drawer, balancing their abilities in the best interests of the team, while not forgetting the journeymen who score important runs at the right time, take a key wicket or carry off an astounding piece of fielding.