• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Whistler40145

Established Member
Now that Moeen Ali is to announce his retirement with immediate effect from Test Match Cricket, who's the most likeliest replacement and will we have a Spinner that's for home and overseas tours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Now that Moeen Ali is to announce his retirement with immediate effect from Test Match Cricket, who's the most likeliest replacement and will we have a Spinner that's for home and overseas tours?
Mooen Ali joins Adil Rashid in making his real allegiances clear. Shouldn't Jos Buttler now do the same thing, so Bairstow and Foakes (NOT Bracey) can compete for wicketkeeper status? Buttler will probably assume the white ball captaincy after the world T20 final, regardless of how England fare. He's already indicated he doesn't wish to tour Australia, so I see no reason why he is ever picked for a test team again.

As for replacement spinners, there's not enough championship cricket played in mid season now for any to develop. The one exception, of course, is Simon Harmer, but I'm unsure he'd even theoretically qualify now!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Mooen Ali joins Adil Rashid in making his real allegiances clear. Shouldn't Jos Buttler now do the same thing, so Bairstow and Foakes (NOT Bracey) can compete for wicketkeeper status? Buttler will probably assume the white ball captaincy after the world T20 final, regardless of how England fare. He's already indicated he doesn't wish to tour Australia, so I see no reason why he is ever picked for a test team again.

As for replacement spinners, there's not enough championship cricket played in mid season now for any to develop. The one exception, of course, is Simon Harmer, but I'm unsure he'd even theoretically qualify now!
England have the likes of Dom Bess, Jack Leach and Matt Parkinson available, but would they pick them?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England have the likes of Dom Bess, Jack Leach and Matt Parkinson available, but would they pick them?
I think Joe Root is going to be turning his arm over rather a lot in future! It may be that Dan Lawrence, if picked, will have to hone his off spin bowling too. Dom Bess can bat (as can Leach of course) but Matt Parkinson's is more akin to Phil Tufnell's.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Has Tim Paine ended his career with Australia?

I'm quite surprised that Pat Cummins, a Fast Bowler has been handed the Captaincy with Steve Smith as his deputy.

Will this hopefully lead to a weakened team now that they've to field an unknown wicketkeeper?

HST43257

Established Member

I'm quite surprised that Pat Cummins, a Fast Bowler has been handed the Captaincy with Steve Smith as his deputy.

Will this hopefully lead to a weakened team now that they've to field an unknown wicketkeeper?
I’m not going to claim I’m not worried at the thought of Alex Carey in the test team. I’m sure thst his ODI skills are somewhat transferrabble

Typhoon

Established Member

I’m not going to claim I’m not worried at the thought of Alex Carey in the test team. I’m sure thst his ODI skills are somewhat transferrabble
It wouldn't be the first time an 'unknown' Aussie has turned out to be a match winner (and captaining an international side is hardly 'unknown').

Wicketkeeping is a difficult role, no one except England fields two of them so the number two is often little more than a drinks carrier, especially in these days of limited tours with few warm-up matches. When the back-up gets a chance, they need to take it with both hands, they don't know when or whether another will come along.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Cummins regularly consulting Smith.

Regarding Paine's future, he might make a return to play for Tassie but that is probably it (unless there is a token reconciliation). He is reaching the end of his likely career age-wise.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Some have said Smith is the defacto captain though politically and for PR reasons its Cummins. Probably unfair, i think its refreshing to have a bowler as captain.

SteveM70

Established Member
Josh Inglis (born in Leeds) is a fine wicketkeeper batsman. He and Carey are in the Australia A squad so it’s likely to be one or the other, though of course Matthew Wade is also a keeper and did well at the recent t20 World Cup and has played test cricket too

Pakenhamtrain

More than likely.

We have Carey, Inglis and Pierson in the wings.

Some have said Smith is the defacto captain though politically and for PR reasons its Cummins. Probably unfair, i think its refreshing to have a bowler as captain.
Cummins will be leaning on Smith for advice.

Interestingly it's the first time a bowler has been captain since Richie Benaud.

Meole

Sam Whiteman from Doncaster is another wicketkeeper candidate in good batting form.

Presumably Cummins is the established test player with the least social media etc history ?

Brave of England to stick with Root given the entire Yorkshire fiasco but he will be gone by next year anyway after another drubbing.

Mikey C

Established Member
"Oi, Smithy, which side do I use this sandpaper on then, mate?"
Because back then the fast bowlers were completely innocent, and knew nothing about what was being done to the ball, and didn't notice it magically becoming rougher on one side...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
More than likely.

We have Carey, Inglis and Pierson in the wings.

Cummins will be leaning on Smith for advice.

Interestingly it's the first time a bowler has been captain since Richie Benaud.
The only time Australia have used a fast bowler as captain was Ray Lindwall for just the one test in India in the 1950s.

I'd have thought Matthew Wade might well be in contention as wicketkeeper for the test side - he makes plenty of runs and can be a doughty competitor, as he proved during the last Ashes series.

Quotes from Pat Cummins today referred to both himself and Steve Smith as captains. The fast bowler rotation policy might then still be in place, with Smith stepping in as captain on occasion? Pattinson has now retired from test cricket though, and Siddle is probably past his prime. Will Neser step up?

Can't see Paine playing test cricket again, though he's been shoddily treated.

Pakenhamtrain

Meanwhile where the games are going to be played is up in the air.
Perth on brink of losing Ashes Test over hardline stance on quarantine

The fifth Ashes Test is now almost certain to be played anywhere other than Perth’s Optus Stadium after West Australian Premier Mark McGowan confirmed his strict quarantine stance wasn’t going anywhere.

McGowan had previously claimed he was confident the final Test would go ahead at Optus Stadium, but with his latest declaration, the chances of hosting the monumental occasion in Perth’s backyard are dwindling.

The word is the MCG is in the box seat for the test and it will be a day nighter.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

birchesgreen

Established Member
Anyone else been watching the Abu Dhabi T10, its highly entertaining drivel. I wonder if they'd have been better off having a franchise T10 competition here instead of the Hundred.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
International Test Match ... Day 2 of 5

Quite some match in progress. India batted first, scoring 325 all out, of which opening bat Agarwal made 150. However, for only the third time in test cricket, a bowler (Patel) took all ten wickets in a Test Match innings, with figures of 47.5 - 12 - 119 - 10.

New Zealand having something of a torrid time in their 1st innings, currently being 60-8 after 25 overs in reply.

Peterthegreat

Established Member

Quite some match in progress. India batted first, scoring 325 all out, of which opening bat Agarwal made 150. However, for only the third time in test cricket, a bowler (Patel) took all ten wickets in a Test Match innings, with figures of 47.5 - 12 - 119 - 10.

New Zealand having something of a torrid time in their 1st innings, currently being 60-8 after 25 overs in reply.
Er 62 all out.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Something I only discovered today - Geoff Hurst played one first class cricket match for Essex CCC, against Lancashire CCC at Aigburth, Liverpool in 1962 , and amongst his team mates was Jim Laker, the first to take ten wickets in a test innings, and the only one to take nineteen wickets in any first class match. Hurst scored two noughts, but the second was not out! I've seen no mention of wickets or catches either. Would make an excellent quiz question I feel.