• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Johnuk123

Established Member
Cook out early again for 22 not only is he becoming somewhat of a negative and nervous captain he's also well out of form.

England now 50 for 3, once again poor poor batting.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
IMHO, the chief problem is Root. He is just not up to opening for England yet. And, when you have an opening partner who you have no confidence in, it will affect your own game. Bung him down to 6 and bring in a proper opener - not that there are that many candidates.

Ferret

Established Member
IMHO, the chief problem is Root. He is just not up to opening for England yet. And, when you have an opening partner who you have no confidence in, it will affect your own game. Bung him down to 6 and bring in a proper opener - not that there are that many candidates.

Michael Carberry.

jb

Cook out early again for 22 not only is he becoming somewhat of a negative and nervous captain he's also well out of form.

Oh for goodness' sake give him a break. Players aren't machines. As a captain he's delivered a 2-0 Ashes lead and retained the urn. With a bit of luck that will be 3-0.

I get more than a little fed up with the fickleness that seems to abound everywhere these days.

bnm

Established Member
A much more positive day for England at the crease although that top order is still of some concern. Bell continues to impress but he really shouldn't be coming in to bat so early in England's innings.

I'd like to see England bat as long as possible tomorrow and not declare and giving Australia a sniff. Play for the draw. An Ashes series win is more important than a test win.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I have long admired Bell, and he is a good example of the virtues of giving someone chances. In all four matches this series he has scored significant runs under extreme pressure, which is just what his detractors said he never did, even as recently as this season. Perhaps Root and Bairstow will eventually follow suit.

furryfeet

No. If Onions was to be included it should have been at the expense of Bresnan. There's nothing wrong with Jimmy's fitness and, if the truth be told, not much wrong with his bowling either. He hasn't had a deal of luck lately and there's nothing to suggest that he's really lost any form. In any case he has done plenty enough to suggest sticking with him.
Has Mr. Flower and / or the selectors given an explanation as to why Onions was not picked for Durham, despite all the media punters stating that "Onions is ideal for the type of pitch there" ?

Looking forward to the Oval, I hope that the England selectors have the guts to drop at least one of the underperforming batsmen and either
a) give another opener a go - Robson / Carberry
OR
b) go with five bowlers, including Tremlett. Possibly rest Anderson or Broad, if they want to include Onions as well, but the pundits all say that the Oval pitch is not best suited to Onions - including him would just give him some international match practice.

Otherwise Broad and / or Anderson will get injured and that will undermine preparations for the winter tour.

andrew bell

The weather forecast for Chester le Street says a chance of showers on Sunday, with Monday being quite an unsettled day with rain forecast.Incidentally, why was this Test Match scheduled for a Friday start, as Thursday seems normally to be the favoured start day of late ?

ICC rules state there must be 3 days rest between the schedule days of cricket so this test can start on Friday as the Old Trafford match ended on Monday

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I have long admired Bell, and he is a good example of the virtues of giving someone chances. In all four matches this series he has scored significant runs under extreme pressure, which is just what his detractors said he never did, even as recently as this season. Perhaps Root and Bairstow will eventually follow suit.

The most remarkable thing about Ian Bell this series is that he hasn't scored even more centuries! It has been a surprise when he has got out, his form is reminiscent of Cook last time in Australia, except that on this series Bell has 'rescued' England from pretty poor situations. He's always had detractors who have said that he only scores runs when it's easy...not this series, and some of his driving is superb....a classy player in the traditional mould!
I always want England players to do well when picked, but I must say that I had misgivings when Root moved to open the innings and I fear that I was right.

andrew bell

How about this for a remarkable stat, When Alastair Cook was on 11, he and Kevin Pietersen had both scored 7,731 Test runs at the same average of 48.31.

Cook has played 96 Tests to Pietersen's 98.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How about this for a remarkable stat, When Alastair Cook was on 11, he and Kevin Pietersen had both scored 7,731 Test runs at the same average of 48.31.

Cook has played 96 Tests to Pietersen's 98.

You are a cricket statistician extraordinaire and a worthy successor to the great Bill Frindall who always could be relied upon to provide the most arcane cricketing statistics "at the drop of a hat" during the BBC radio Test Match broadcasts until he went to the "great pavilion in the sky" in 2009.

HST Power

Established Member
I watch the test using a Sky Go login shared amongst the family, thus dodging the need to pay subscription fees. :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I watch the test using a Sky Go login shared amongst the family, thus dodging the need to pay subscription fees. :D

Another "cunning plan" that the details of which will now be in the hands of Sky, as we all know that the RailUK "Cricket thread" is one that is always the first port of call for all major broadcasters...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
************************************************************************************************

England 306-8....Drinks break being taken.

Bell 113, Prior 0 and Broad 13 all fall to Harris, but Bresnan is still there on 43 not out with Swann on 9 not out.

Once again the hoodoo known as "the dreaded first hour of the morning session" has destroyed the hope of a long stand being developed....:shock:

The lead now stands at 274.
*****************************************************************************************

England 330 all out (95.1 overs)
Bresnan finally out for 45
Swann 30 not out
Harris 7-117

Australia have been set 299 to win.

Australia 67-0 (16.3 overs)

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Michael Clarke is gone! Australia are now 4 wickets down!

They've got some good tail enders, but the feeling is starting to etch towards a possible batting collapse.....

Ferret

Established Member
6 down now, Broad and Breslad amongst them!

Gotta feel for Watson - he really does plant his left leg. I fear his epitaph will be 'lbw'...!

HST Power

Established Member
Well if it continues like this my prophecy will be fulfilled after all. Australia are now seven wickets down! Seven! They were 109-0!

David

Established Member
Now 181/7 .... England have just run riot in the last half hour or so, taking 5 wickets for just 13 runs! :shock:
211/9 now, with Broad getting his second 5fer of the match.

HST Power

Established Member
Absolutely incredible bowling. Many congratulations to England. Australia will be kicking themselves to say the least!

bnm

Established Member
That was a truly sensational and devastating final session on day 4. A monumental batting collapse from Australia.

At tea I was expecting this game to go into the final day as Australia were cruising. Up steps Stuart Broad and the match swings to England. That turnaround was stunning.

3-0 and The Ashes won outright by England. Lets now hope that England can complete the series undefeated.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No less than 15 wickets fell on the fourth day. Broad came good when the heat was on the Australian batsmen and from the fall of their third wicket, a lot of self-belief seemed to evaporate from the Australian batting line-up.

Those late runs scored by Bresnan and Swann in the England second innings made the target for Australia far more demanding that seemed likely at one stage, especially when you see what the winning margin actually was.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Are such a poor first innings batting total, that was another fantastic bowling display. Take a bow Broad, that was his match. Him and Bell have really impressed this series with ball/bat and bat respectively!

High Dyke

Established Member
Are such a poor first innings batting total, that was another fantastic bowling display. Take a bow Broad, that was his match. Him and Bell have really impressed this series with ball/bat and bat respectively!
A pity some of the others didn't. :| Well done England though. Hopefully the England Women can dig a result out in their test match too.

Johnuk123

Established Member
What a surprising result given how unlikely it looked earlier in the day.
Hopefully we can win the last one too to deny the Australians a victory.