• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb

Whatever will the Australian sports press have to say about that...:D

They will probably think the sky's fallen in.

At least they think like this after it's over - unlike over here, where the sky falls in once every couple of hours during the game. ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whatever will the Australian sports press have to say about that...

When we were down under last I found it very enjoyable to visit the sport sections of The Australian or Sydney Morning Herald websites...

unlike over here, where the sky falls in once every couple of hours during the game.

I must admit it does get rather annoying to be informed again and again that England are dead and buried, completely under the thumb, etc, before they turn around and win because things actually weren't as bad as the media and others seems to think.

Ferret

Established Member
What a session, and what a bowling spell from Stuart Broad! The Ashes keep delivering excellent matches!

jb

I must admit it does get rather annoying to be informed again and again that England are dead and buried, completely under the thumb, etc, before they turn around and win because things actually weren't as bad as the media and others seems to think.

It cuts both ways (positives as well as negatives). I think that the buffoons confidently asserting what's what on the basis of the immediately previous half-hour of the test match have probably always been there, but they seem so visible now. Is there anyone in the England team who shouldn't have been dropped?

TMS is rife with them; there were a few choice ones at 90-odd for 0 earlier today. Utterly confident that England had thrown it away, still with over 200 needed.

Dolts.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
TMS is rife with them; there were a few choice ones at 90-odd for 0 earlier today. Utterly confident that England had thrown it away, still with over 200 needed.

I have to say that I don't enjoy listening to TMS commentary in part for this reason but also it just doesn't seem particularly good. Agnew is alright but beyond that...

Yesterday at the match you had the choice between Sky or TMS on the earpieces and it was no contest between choosing Sky to listen to!

HST Power

Established Member
To those of you stuck with the radio commentary I wholeheartedly suggest you find a family member or a friend who has a Sky Sports package. If you ask nicely they may just spare you the Sky Go login, hence you can watch the matches live at no additional cost! Its what I'm doing, as we don't have Sky. Furthermore, if you don't like the idea of watching at your computer, it is possible to link the App to your television, though I have never done this.

Bring on the next test! :D

Buttsy

Established Member
I have to say that I don't enjoy listening to TMS commentary in part for this reason but also it just doesn't seem particularly good. Agnew is alright but beyond that...

Yesterday at the match you had the choice between Sky or TMS on the earpieces and it was no contest between choosing Sky to listen to!

I find that Sky you get a lot of 'dead' air as they don't need to describe what's going on as they assume you have the pictures to look at. I much prefer the TMs broadcast because of the inanities they come out with.

Sitting round a cold Edgbaston in 2009 with no play in prospect before tea, TMS was much more entertaining than Sky.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Have the wheels completely fallen off the Aussies Cart?

Wonderful bowling by Stuart Broad, makes a change.

Will England rest any bowlers for the Oval Test?

Have England thought of trying Trott, Bairstow or Prior to open?

Also, I hope David (Bumble) Lloyd is back for Sky Sports soon, Andrew Strauss is ever so boring.

Ferret

Established Member
Have the wheels completely fallen off the Aussies Cart?

Wonderful bowling by Stuart Broad, makes a change.

Also, I hope David (Bumble) Lloyd is back for Sky Sports soon, Andrew Strauss is ever so boring.

Why on earth would any of those three open the batting?!

Oswyntail

Established Member
Why on earth would any of those three open the batting?!
I think Anderson has been looking quite jaded - though a jaded Jimmy is still worth his place in the team - and I wonder if he is carrying a virus (I seem to recall he had something early in the season). Could be worth resting him for Tremlett, now that Onions has crocked himself.
A lot of so-called "experts" try to kid us that there is a problem with the speed of batting at the top of the order, and any of those three has been mooted as an opener (with Trott replaced by a flasher at 3). IMHO this is typical old-school English punditry, along the lines of "Other teams score quicker early on, therefore it is a problem that England don't". As a team, England know what they are doing, and seem to be doing it reasonably well. That is not to say that Root is not causing problems, but they are of a different kind.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think Anderson has been looking quite jaded - though a jaded Jimmy is still worth his place in the team - and I wonder if he is carrying a virus (I seem to recall he had something early in the season). Could be worth resting him for Tremlett, now that Onions has crocked himself.

I did make mention of how Jimmy Anderson seemed in my posting # 898 on 11th August. I am glad to see that someone else has seen fit to comment on this.

Ferret

Established Member
I did make mention of how Jimmy Anderson seemed in my posting # 898 on 11th August. I am glad to see that someone else has seen fit to comment on this.

I said elsewhere he looks shattered, and I favoured giving Tremlett a game in order to give him a rest. I'm also betting Cook is going to miss the ODIs, which strikes me as an ideal time to give Michael Carberry a belated go in that format of the game! I'd love to see him play at the Oval rather than Bairstow, but it won't happen.

Bevan Price

Established Member

I would rather not watch the match than let any of my money go to the Mu****h family. I find TMS excellent, even if they do ramble off-topic from time to time.

furryfeet

I said elsewhere he looks shattered, and I favoured giving Tremlett a game in order to give him a rest. I'm also betting Cook is going to miss the ODIs, which strikes me as an ideal time to give Michael Carberry a belated go in that format of the game! I'd love to see him play at the Oval rather than Bairstow, but it won't happen.
Agreed !

Drop two out of
Trott / Root / Bairstow

and use the slots freed up for
a) new batsman ( Carberry / Robson )
b) a fifth bowler.
So I would have Swann, Broad, Bresnan and Tremlett, plus either
Onions ( if his hand recovers ) or Anderson ( only if Onions is still unfit, and even then, just use him sparingly )

Any batsmen dropped should be sent back into the county championship for the rest of the season to improve their technique / regain form.

The selectors should take this opportunity to be a bit more proactive and think ahead to the hard winter ahead. If they only pick four bowlers and one of them "breaks down" then they only have three months to get fit again for Brisbane.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I've been having a look at some of the Australian papers online to see what they make of it all (remembering the way their media treated the England team in the 1990's). All good fun to read, I liked this one (from the Australian Telegraph):

'ASKED what the feeling was like in the Australian rooms as the latest collapse became an avalanche, captain Michael Clarke said it was hard to tell.

"There were batsmen putting pads on, batsmen taking pads off." Tasks completed with apparent success. Proving there is at least one aspect of batting the Australians have fully mastered.

But as wickets tumbled at a rate usually only associated with broken election promises, other signs of batting competency were much harder to come by.

Indeed, the latest catastrophe happened in such a blur of flying bails and screamed appeals it was hard to know what to make of it all.

Although, if you had Australia’s second innings in scorecard form, the best thing to make was a ball scrunched tightly enough to throw with violent force at the nearest waste paper basket.

Abject, pitiful, humiliating. Just some of the words that fail to do justice to an afternoon when Australia managed to turn, in one session, the makings of a famous victory into yet another embarrassing capitulation.'

Whistler40145

Established Member
Just heard that Tim Bresnan is now out injured for the rest of the season with a stress fracture of the lower back.

I presume that Jimmy Anderson won't be rested & Tremlett will replace Bresnan?

Who else could come in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

furryfeet

Onions may now get in, if he gets over his broken finger.
Kerrigan may be considered, if the pitch is thought to be conducive to turn...., although he is due to play in the two day game for the lions vs australia, which may be an error since it gives the australians a chance to work him out !

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England Lions 269-7 (77 overs) v Australia.

Yorkshires' Gary Ballance took advantage of his selection with an innings of 104, including 16x4 and 1x6.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kerrigan may be considered, if the pitch is thought to be conducive to turn...., although he is due to play in the two day game for the lions vs australia, which may be an error since it gives the australians a chance to work him out !

Just been announced that he is in the squad for the final Test Match.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will Chappell ever stop?

Both Ryan Giggs and he must have a very high standard of fitness to perform at their ages at the top level of both their two respective sports.

It will be a long time before Essex stop remembering a certain extremely low scoring innings this season against Lancashire when a certain "veteran" Lancashire fast bowler was instrumental in the causation of that score.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Both Ryan Giggs and he must have a very high standard of fitness to perform at their ages at the top level of both their two respective sports......
Indeed, though I would put Chappell as the more remarkable because of the demands on his musculo-skeletal system of being a fast bowler.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Australia 11-1

Warner falls to Anderson.
*******************************************************************************************

Australia 136-2 (38 overs)

Watson mounting a one-man batting assault and is 92 not out.

Inauspicious start for Kerrigan, as his first two overs cost 28 runs..<(
****************************************************************************************************

Australia 263-3 (80.4 overs)

Watson 166 not out
Smith 50 not out

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Australia 492-9 dec.

Watson 176
Smith 138 not out

Anderson 4-95

Shame that much of the second days play was lost to the bad weather, but it shows that Old Trafford is not the only Test Match venue to experience inclement summer weather. Up here, the weather was excellent during the day.

Where have all the other contributors to this thread vanished to ?

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Time for England's mis-firing batsmen to stand up today and post a good score, still a good batting wicket and perfect weather is forecast. Australian bowlers didn't do too well yesterday evening in my opinion, too many 'leave alone' balls which helped England negotiate a tricky session'
Felt desperately sorry for Kerrigan on Thursday, can't recall seeing such a horrific debut before. Not sure either that it was a good move to give both Kerrigan and Woakes a first cap in this game, hopefully Woakes can perform with the bat.