• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Johnuk123

Established Member
I have one of the in-laws over from Virginia at the moment and he was amazed that a game could last 5 days without a result at the end.

I did explain that is one of the reasons we have 20-20's and ODI's to try and encourage fans who get bored with 5 day games.

Even the normally very conservative Aggers is scathing in his criticism of this stupid result in front of a full house and millions watching all around the world.

In the biggest showpiece that cricket has in this country the game has been shown as a complete farce and shot itself several times in both feet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I have one of the in-laws over from Virginia at the moment and he was amazed that a game could last 5 days without a result at the end.

I did explain that is one of the reasons we have 20-20's and ODI's to try and encourage fans who get bored with 5 day games.

Even the normally very conservative Aggers is scathing in his criticism of this stupid result in front of a full house and millions watching all around the world.

In the biggest showpiece that cricket has in this country the game has been shown as a complete farce and shot itself several times in both feet.

Can't quite agree with you on this one...showing my age probably but Test Cricket is all about a contest that can ebb and flow over a period of days for an individual test or months for a series (as I'm sure you'll know) I would agree that it doesn't fit in with the demands of today for instant gratification, but can you say in all honesty that T20 and ODI's all produce fantastic excitement? ....and the need to see a 'result' at the end? Well, a draw is a result, and how thrilling and exciting were Old Trafford in 2005 and Cardiff in 2009 which both ended in a draw ( and don't get me started on draws in football, that seems to be acceptable! - not that I pay much attention to that game.)
What I would like to see though is some sensible suggestions from the ex-players and pundits that can find a solution to the problem, (if that is what it is). In the media everyone is critical of this 'farce' but I have not yet seen a coherent and practical solution. I would suggest that play should begin earlier, but late in the season this will give an advantage to the bowling side. The ICC has been experimenting with a pink ball under lights but again has not produced a workable solution. They also have the added problem that what might be suitable in the northern hemisphere with it's longer summer days would not suit the sub-continent.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Indeed I don't blame them (in the cold hard light of morning anyway) they simply followed the rules that they were given.

I agree, The umpires had no option but to go off.

Arglwydd Golau[/B] is making I keep coming back to the fact that Cricket is in the business of entertainment. What happened last night was not entertaining for the thousands in the ground or the thousands of watching at home and the millions interested in the result.

I don't agree that cricket, or any other sport, is in the entertainment business. It is a bonus if a sporting contest of any sort is entertainig, but that is not the purpose of the contest in itself.

Although I have not played at anythign but a very low level, when I have played any sport, be it rugby, football, cricket or darts, the main priority is to win the contest!

Can't quite agree with you on this one...showing my age probably but Test Cricket is all about a contest that can ebb and flow over a period of days for an individual test or months for a series (as I'm sure you'll know) I would agree that it doesn't fit in with the demands of today for instant gratification, but can you say in all honesty that T20 and ODI's all produce fantastic excitement? ....and the need to see a 'result' at the end? Well, a draw is a result, and how thrilling and exciting were Old Trafford in 2005 and Cardiff in 2009 which both ended in a draw ( and don't get me started on draws in football, that seems to be acceptable! - not that I pay much attention to that game.)

I agree with this. I am not aginst shortened forms of the game, but to me the beauty of Test cricket is how the match develops, and I find it facinating how momentum can swing between the two sides.

I think that this is the crux of the matter. It may be that the laws of the game are amended following this Test, but I have not ehard of anys ensible or workable way to do this. It's all very well moaning, but the umpires have to be consistent and apply the laws fairly, and that is exactly what they did.

Instead of bemoaning the way the game ended, perhaps the emdai should be grateful that the match did not peter out into a tame draw as I had expected. The crowd ended up being far more entertained than they would have been a few years ago, when the best that they could have hoped for was a token declaration followed by a bit of batting practice for an hour or two.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Instead of bemoaning the way the game ended, perhaps the emdai should be grateful that the match did not peter out into a tame draw as I had expected. The crowd ended up being far more entertained than they would have been a few years ago, when the best that they could have hoped for was a token declaration followed by a bit of batting practice for an hour or two.[/QUOTE]

Very much agree, the crowd were well entertained and it would have been a harsh person who felt that they hadn't received there monies worth, especially with the post match celebrations...and you're correct about what would have happened a few years ago , batting practice and joke bowling (Graham Gooch doing his Bob Willis impersonation, for example)

Buttsy

Established Member
Perhaps the answer to the light issue is, about 10-15 overs before the end of such a game, get the umpires to get the batsmen and fielding captain to agree that they play on until the end, regardless of light (if there are floodlights). If they don't agree, then light can come into play. This way, if there is agreement, it'll certainly make sure that the fielding captain got on with bowling as he's going to have to bowl through whatever and it is harder to pick up the ball in the field than as a batsman.

The flaw with the idea is I can't think of something obvious to stop the batting side slowing the game down to give themselves at better chance of winning. Perhaps something like a 'free ball' to the bowling side if the batsmen allow an over to go on for more than 7 minutes (arbitrary number at this stage), the bowler allowed to bowl at the stumps with no interference from the batsman and it not be constituted as part of the over. This way the batsman won't fiddle around as he could be out to the free ball, but might not be.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the days of yore, what normally would have been the time period that was taken between Ashes series. It is now almost September and I am sure that I heard there was to be another series in Australia quite soon. I do hope that my ears have deceived me..:roll:

Buttsy

Established Member
In the days of yore, what normally would have been the time period that was taken between Ashes series. It is now almost September and I am sure that I heard there was to be another series in Australia quite soon. I do hope that my ears have deceived me..:roll:

I'm afraid not, because of the world cup, the series has been moved forward a year to this winter. From an English viewpoint, this means that, should results not go England's way, we will now 'hold' the urn for just 6 months at best while the crims (;)) could hold it for 3.5 years... <D<(:cry:

andrew bell

they come back over in 2015 so that's when the new cycle starts so if England did lose to Australia this winter it'd only be 1.5 years til we get to regain it

Established Member
Thoroughly entertaining England v Australia women's T20 game at Chelmsford last night, in front of an excellent crowd. Sarah Taylor's 77 of 58 balls was worth seeing alone.

Sure it may lack some of the power of the men's game, but if you have the chance to see either of the final two games in the series go along - the enthusiasm and teamwork of the England team is a pleasure to watch.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think women's cricket is somewhat undervalued it really is quite entertaining! I'm off on Saturday to see the double header at the Riverside and really looking forward to both games.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I see that Aussie legend Shane Warne has described the England players involved in "urinegate" (as no one has yet called it to my knowledge) as "crass" and "arrogant". Pot, pleas meet kettle.
[For those of you unfamiliar with the scandal, a few players, after partaking in frothy bevvies on the outfield at the Oval, found it easier to pee on the pitch. This was after dark, when the public had long gone, but was witnessed by a sole Aussie journalist, who declared himself "shocked" and "outraged". I think the standards of our colonial cousins have dropped recently - in my day, most Aussies in the crowd at a test match would think nothing of peeing in public view in broad daylight]

Johnuk123

Established Member
I see that Aussie legend Shane Warne has described the England players involved in "urinegate" (as no one has yet called it to my knowledge) as "crass" and "arrogant". Pot, pleas meet kettle.
[For those of you unfamiliar with the scandal, a few players, after partaking in frothy bevvies on the outfield at the Oval, found it easier to pee on the pitch. This was after dark, when the public had long gone, but was witnessed by a sole Aussie journalist, who declared himself "shocked" and "outraged". I think the standards of our colonial cousins have dropped recently - in my day, most Aussies in the crowd at a test match would think nothing of peeing in public view in broad daylight]

Although the incident was stupid having an Australian lecture us on bad behaviour is somewhat ironic.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will Chappell ever stop?

It has been reported today that he still wishes to play on next season when we will see the unusual sight of a fast bowler aged 40 playing County Cricket.

He seemed to be enjoying life with the bat today at Southport in the D2 match against Hampshire, scoring 63 as the number 10 batsman and together with Kerrigan (62 not out) as the number 11 batsman, they added 114 for the tenth wicket, enabling Lancashire to reach 421 all out in their first innings.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Eh? Violence?

Well violence is probably the wrong word, power would be a better one. You're not going to find many women hitting the ball ten rows back. Personally I've watched it on TV a few times and been to an international (and I'm going to another tomorrow) and I really enjoy it. It isn't as entertaining as the men's game but it's still, in my opinion very good.

Regarding yesterday's game. I don't think England did all that badly, they simply suffered at the hands of one of the all time great T20 innings. Clearly the pitch was full of runs as evidenced by them reaching in excess of 200 themselves and it isn't as if the Australian bowlers did much better than their English counter parts!

crispy1978

England Women have regained the Womens' Ashes by defeating Australia in the second T20 match by 5 wickets today.

Great achievement by the ladies - they have played consistently well, and have a strong team unit. I actually find women's cricket fairly watchable from a sporting aspect - there is a lot more skill with ball placement required than the sheer powerhouse shots from the men.

One is very watchable from an entertaining perspective, the I find watchable from a more technical aspect.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The sea air at Southport certainly did Lancashire no harm on the third day of their D2 CC match against Hampshire, as they did not enforce the follow-on, but scored at a fast rate to reach 284-5 declared to set Hampshire an unlikely-to-achieve total of 496 in their second innings to win in what remained of the day and all day tomorrow, but by the close of play, Hampshire were 137-7.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Australia have dropped David Warner from their squad for the ODI series against England.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
********************************************************************************************

England v Ireland (50 overs ODI)

Ireland did well to reach 269-7, with opener Porterfield scoring 112.

Poor start by England in reply, losing their fourth wicket with the score on 48. However, Morgan 124 not out and Bopara 101 not out took them to the winning score of 274-4 with an unbroken stand of 226 and the victory was achieved with seven overs to spare.

Last edited: