• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

bnm

Established Member
Nice to see a return to form for Andrew Strauss in the 1st Test against the West Indies.

A great captain's knock which should hopefully contribute to a win for England and add a few more points to their ICC Ranking to keep them in the #1 position.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My prediction is that it will be over in the hour after tea. I think we'll have them all out around lunch and it will only take a few hours to knock off any runs they score.

Also I'm really looking forward to the South Africa tests, those should be good. It's just a shame that it's not a five match series.

bnm

Established Member
Yes the SA tests are indeed to look forward to. The two top ranked teams in the world going head-to-head.

I'm hoping to make it to Lord's for the 3rd Test in August.

David

Established Member
Has anyone been watching the IPL on ITV4?

Some stunning batting at times has made world class bowlers look average. The game this afternoon though was a pitch designed for spinners ....

Ivo

Established Member
I can't help but feel that the WI team are doing Chanderpaul no justice as a batsman. He is surely in the twilight of his international career (37 I believe?) - where do they go afterwards? He has seen his team collapse around him in both innings in this Test, and it looks set to continue that way tomorrow morning...

I must say though, this does show how consistent England have become since the first series I watched them play against WI on Sky - the 2008 Away series. The one that saw one match abandoned and another see England record a score of 51 all out <(

I have never watched a game in person. However, only an Internet failure prevented me from watching the last day of the series against India last summer (at the Oval) :( At least I was at home at the time though, so I did watch it on Sky, which was better than nothing.

Last edited:

David

Established Member
As per my post in the football thread, thank god Chris Gayle has decided to stay in India instead of joining the WI team!

Temple Meads

Established Member
I couldn't help noticing just now that the advert at the top of the page was proclaiming "World's Most Realistic Football Simulator" :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Congratulations on opening up a CRICKET thread at last....:D

Jimmy Anderson is quietly working his way up the England wicket-taker rankings in his usual quiet and assuming way. I know that Stuart Broads' seven-wicket haul in the first innings was so very important, but Anderson's removal of two of their top opening three batsmen did indeed affect the West Indies batting for quite some time on the first day and while he has not taken a wicket yet in the second innings, his 14 overs only averaged 1.5 runs per over conceded and you need a bowler like that to hold one end up, whilst the other bowlers are free to attack at the other end. I remember Richard Hadlee doing the same for New Zealand, when he was not taking his usual match haul of wickets.

EM2

Established Member
I do think it's a shame that a lot of counties don't play at the smaller grounds any more. My first experience of professional cricket was my Dad taking me to watch Essex at Ilford, and I often used to watch Kent at Maidstone in the school holidays.
Kids don't get that chance now.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm hoping to make it to Lord's for the 3rd Test in August.

Ahh I'd love to see England at Lords but I don't think I can afford it (trains and match tickets ain't cheap). I've been to Lords and it is a fantastic ground, I can certainly see why people go on about it being the home of cricket and why they think it should get two tests every year.

I can't help but feel that the WI team are doing Chanderpaul no justice as a batsman.

I've always felt sorry for Shiv. He's one of the best batsmen in the world but he plays a team that has such little success it must be hard to stop it getting to him. I heard at stat on Sky that he's been on the losing side of more tests than any other player (not sure if that's ever or currently playing). It's shame he wasn't born earlier when he might have been able to spend the bulk of his career in a successful team and get the rewards he deserves for his efforts.

where do they go afterwards?

Who knows? One things for sure they are going to struggle mightily to replace him and his runs.

The one that saw one match abandoned and another see England record a score of 51 all out

I was listening to that match with friend on the road coming back from an open day in Bangor (as an aside good lord was that four years ago!?) and I remember we turned off in disgust shortly after lunch.

I have never watched a game in person.

You're missing out! Nothing quite like a hot summers day with a game of cricket going on and a good book to read during the slow passages of play (then again there's nothing quite like sitting in the cold, wind and rain hoping for some play).

Jimmy Anderson is quietly working his way up the England wicket-taker rankings in his usual quiet and assuming way.

I would say that Anderson has been England's best fast bowler for some time now. Broad might get the plaudits, but Anderson either goes for very few runs or goes for few runs and picks up wickets (a deadly combination of talents). Also when it's swinging he's probably the most dangerous bowler in the world.

So I suppose one question that should be asked is who follows country cricket and who do you support?

Personally a Durham supporter (and member). Shocking start to our season, probably our worst in the last few years (and unless something really dramatic happens means that the championship is out of our reach already). However my nerves have been steadied somewhat by our over Somerset in the one day stuff last week.

Ivo

Established Member
Jimmy isn't exactly bad at batting either is he? <D Was it 54 innings he managed without an international duck?

As for the county game, I follow Essex's results, and in particular how Cook is doing. I haven't been especially impressed so far this year, but everyone knows that Essex are better at the short forms of the game. I also hope to watch a Somerset match when they come to Bath later in the Summer, subject to the date in question. At least I know I wouldn't get bowled [sorry...] by the Internet if I did attempt that <(

I remember the first time I really paid any attention to the game (not including playing it at school) was when I was at the dentist's in 2005, and they had the Ashes on. Up until that day, neither my brother or I liked the sport - how times change. I did find stories of the antics of Nasser and others (as shown in the local paper) quite interesting though - I seem to recall them criticising Atherton on the international scene an awful lot! :lol:

bnm

Established Member
I do think it's a shame that a lot of counties don't play at the smaller grounds any more. My first experience of professional cricket was my Dad taking me to watch Essex at Ilford, and I often used to watch Kent at Maidstone in the school holidays.
Kids don't get that chance now.

I have childhood memories of going to Weston-super-Mare to see Somerset. They don't even play a County Championship game in Bath any more.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
[Q

So I suppose one question that should be asked is who follows country cricket and who do you support?

Personally a Durham supporter (and member). Shocking start to our season, probably our worst in the last few years (and unless something really dramatic happens means that the championship is out of our reach already). However my nerves have been steadied somewhat by our over Somerset in the one day stuff last week.[/QUOTE]

Gloucestershire - following a tradition of my father (from the days of Wally Hammond) and my Taid (Grandfather) in the days of WG Grace....and as I have already mentioned the word 'tradition' I have to admit to be very traditional about cricket, the County Championship and Test Matches for me.

Good to see WI putting up a real fight this morning.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Lancashire....who finally managed to win the County Championship at last last year after such a long period since their last one (though you would not think so from the way that this season has started). They are endeavoring to bring the Old Trafford ground facilities up to date with the Test Match circuit in mind. Old Trafford is desperately in need of updating. Nice small grounds at Aigburth and those in the coastal resorts.

MEMORIES......

Clive Lloyd in his prime playing for us and plundering runs to all corners of the ground on a regular basis
David Hughes hitting 24 in an over against Gloucestershire at 9pm with the lights brightly shining on Warwick Road station
Geoff Pullar opening for both Lancashire and for England in matches there
Brian Statham and his line, as his fast bowling was very accurate (Only saw the end of his career)

EM2

Established Member
Essexcricket.png

bnm

Established Member
Somerset memories.

My earliest is seeing the team playing in the Sunday League in 1979. That year, Somerset won that competition along with the limited overs knock-out format Gillette Cup. I remember the open-top bus parade around Taunton to mark these two competition victories, the first time Somerset had won any first class honours.

Then there was the shambles following the decision not to renew the contracts of Viv Richards and Joel Garner in 1987. Whilst the decision was probably the correct one, the way it was handled by club captain Peter Roebuck and the board left a very sour taste. Ian Botham threw his toys out the pram as well and left the club in protest over the decision not to renew his friends' contracts. Not really forgiven Botham for that.

1992. Sat in front of the Old Pavilion at Taunton and catching a six off Adrianus van Troost. This wasn't a high looping six, but a straight drive at little more than head height that came at me like a missile. Stung my hands to b*gg*ry and I later discovered I'd broken my right hand little finger.

2001. The C&G Cup win and someone who I knew from college, Keith Parsons, winning man of the match.

2010. So close. Runners-up in all major competitions.

Still waiting for that first County Championship trophy. We've been close in recent years.....

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
[

MEMORIES......

Clive Lloyd in his prime playing for us and plundering runs to all corners of the ground on a regular basis
David Hughes hitting 24 in an over against Gloucestershire at 9pm with the lights brightly shining on Warwick Road station
Geoff Pullar opening for both Lancashire and for England in matches there
Brian Statham and his line, as his fast bowling was very accurate (Only saw the end of his career)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember David Hughes against Gloucs, pulled it (literally!) right out of the bag, is my memory fading or do I remember watching it on TV? Can't believe that it would have been at that time, probably listening to it on the radio and imagining David Hughes pulling the ball to all corners of OLd Trafford.
There was also David Green who left Lancs and had some remarkable success with Gloucestershire for a few years.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There was also David Green who left Lancs and had some remarkable success with Gloucestershire for a few years.

Another very talented player to leave Lancashire was John Crawley, who left to join Hampshire (I believe that he scored a double hundred for them soon after joining them). The real story has never been revealed, but it was said at the time that his test career would be bettered for the move to a Southern county.

Yet another very talented player was Bob Barber who went through the Cambridge University sytem before joining his home county of Lancashire, eventually becoming team captain. However, some committee members at that time felt there was too much of the "old-style" amateur in his leadership, so he departed for Warwickshire, with who his England career really improved.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
Summer is truly back! England are in danger of faltering. If conditions are good, Cook and Trott should be able to knock off the runs fairly easily, but it might be awkward otherwise. Last time the WIndies reached a fifth day at Lord's, I was there. Great fun, with Mexican waves going round the ground (except the members), a good crowd turned out and decent weather. Lara was still playing at the time, and I have a few decent pictures of his batting through a 200mm lens with a 2X converter. I think Ashley Giles winkled him out in the end.

Unfortunately, I have to go to Cambridge tomorrow. :(

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seems I might owe the Windies an apology, looks like we've got a fight on our hands. 29-3 with Trott gone.

Ivo

Established Member
Not a great final innings to be honest, but we were never likely to lose. 1-0 to England :)

Bell had the final say, with a 4 sent to mid-wicket. Poor old Alastair Cook though - he tried to force the victory himself and got caught in doing so...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just what England needed was something to shake them out of their complacency, which at 59-4 in the final innings of the match needed to be addressed. Fortunately, Cook and Bell put together a consolidation steadying stand which won a match that seemed so easy just over a day ago.

Oswyntail

Established Member
On the message boards, you would believe that Bell was forever batting for his place. But yet again here he calmed things down and was the top scoring Englishman. He is a proper batsman!

Aren't Warwickshire doing well? Makes a change, though I am expecting a run of bad form. Playing Lancs twice (home and away) within the first 6 (of 16) matches in the Champioinship is a bit of poor scheduling. I reckon I could do better.
I've also noticed that, in the Championship (1st & 2nd divisions), ALL Counties have got more bowling points than batting points. Says a lot about the weather this season so far.
Someone earlier said (in effect) "Thank God Chris Gayle is in the IPL and not here in England". To that, you can add Sunil Narine - what a prospect! To be capable of spinning the ball both ways with little perceptable variation in hand position as the ball is released is incredible. The best spinner I've seen since Abdul Qadir.
I've never been to a cricket match! You don't get any first class stuff here in Edinburgh, and I haven't got the connections to get tickets for the Clydesdale 40-over stuff at Raeburn Place. One of these days.........

bnm

Established Member
Two pages of posts on cricket since I started the thread and not one derogatory post about teams others support.

Very civilised folks and a refreshing change from the bile and hate on the 'Football' thread. Well done!

LE Greys

Established Member
Two pages of posts on cricket since I started the thread and not one derogatory post about teams others support.

Very civilised folks and a refreshing change from the bile and hate on the 'Football' thread. Well done!

It wouldn't be cricket to do so.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

....but are we allowed to make derogatory comments about Australia!!!?

bnm

Established Member
Sledging is acceptable. After all it happens in the game and Australia are pass masters at dishing it out. ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Great result from Somerset today. Fantastic bowling from George Dockrell (6 for 29 off 11.4) to reduce Durham to 167 all out in their 2nd innings. Somerset eased to victory inside 3 days knocking off the required 152 runs with 5 wickets to spare and with Craig Kieswetter hitting a massive 6 to get the winning runs.

A maximum 24 points moves Somerset to the top of the table, although that will be brief once other results are in.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yorkshire doing OK as well, 226/4 against Sussex on the back of a decent victory over Derbyshire in the CB40. Mitchell Starc made 3/28 on debut (Australian international).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Bad start again in the Second Test by West Indies....46-3, with Jimmy Anderson again removing two of the top batsmen, as he did in the first innings of the First Test match.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now 68-4....two catches by Jimmy Anderson off the bowling of Stuart Broad.

Last edited: