• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sigh...

Well at least we got to enjoy a couple of days of thinking we might be able to win this ruddy thing. Still, normal service is resumed!
If Rory Burns can do a Steve Smith....... Fantasy, I know. All I ask is that Jimmy doesn't get dragged out again, unless it's down to the wire, timewise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyone think that a certain new England fast bowler should be given a chance in the next Test Match, as Anderson even after two weeks rest after the injury he sustained in the Lancashire match played at Sedburgh School, did not appear to be given enough time for healing to take place.

He is not as young as he once was, as we were reminded by a certain person down under a couple of years ago who referred to him as an "elderly pie-chucker".

Pakenhamtrain

Yes they're called stumps England. If you hit them or that ball hits them you're out. Now stop wasting time. Australia have to put with that that droning from the Barmy Army.

Pakenhamtrain

Number 8 for old Blind Joel.
Root himself has been given out wrongly 4 times!

Now Dar joins in on the decision making. If that's playing a shot then I'm the president of the United States.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Charging down the wicket (Roy), hopeless review (Denley), our batting might be attractive but it appears they are also a bit thick.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
very poor show today. England really have no idea how to bat to the conditions of the pitch, weather or game. It is all full on attack.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
shameful performance from England. Clueless at times. English ineptitude coupled with 2 superb innings from Smith allowed that game to slip away. The cheating convicts were 122-8 at one point ffs. England have no idea how to play to the prevailing conditions and have but one thought: attack. Jason Roy. What on earth are you doing you clown.

I am going for a 5-0 drubbing now.

kje7812

shameful performance from England. Clueless at times. English ineptitude coupled with 2 superb innings from Smith allowed that game to slip away. The cheating convicts were 122-8 at one point ffs. England have no idea how to play to the prevailing conditions and have but one thought: attack. Jason Roy. What on earth are you doing you clown.

Unless the rain saves us, I fear that as well.

Howardh

Established Member

I think that Roy shot migth focus a few minds, both on the pitch and behind the scenes, that they got it all wrong. I'd drop Denly, replace by Jennings up top and put Roy at 3 and Root 4. Don't think this is the time to play a debutant up top, not one-down in the Ashes, Jennings has n opener's head, has experience and can do the job of calmly getting the innings going solidly.
Also Ali has to go. he's forgotten what a bat does and if he's England's best spinner then I'm a Yorkshireman. There are good spinners around, I can offer you Parkinson but there are many possibly ahead of him. It's a pity Yorkshire's Poysden is out for the rest of the season, he looked promising.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Nothing personal here : my unfavourite teams are Surrey and Warwickshire, and as a Kent supporter I was extremely annoyed by Northeast's defection to Hampshire (don't like them either, by the way!)

My XIII for Lord's:
Burns
Sibley
Roy
Root
Northeast
Bairstow
Foakes
Stokes
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach (or Bess) - best still, can't Simon Harmer be drafted in?
Curran S

If there was the slightest chance Anderson could be guaranteed fit then I'd add him. Foakes would keep wicket - Bairstow seems to need that extra pressure on his place to get the best out of him. Buttler I've never been convinced of at test level, and I think stats confirm that. Roy at 3 (or 4) because, as so many commentators pointed out BEFORE this test he's not opened for Surrey in F/C cricket and it was stupid to expect him to do so in a test. Wood is out for the summer. Denly's a nice guy, but is never going to do it at test level. No, resist all temptations to go back to Vince, Jennings or Stoneman. Malan? Umm... don't know.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Ah Busaholic....someone else who agrees that Foakes should be in! I would tell Bairstow that if he wants to throw his toys out of the pram again then he can join them (Anyway he averages about 6 in his last 5 tests in England...including 5 ducks). Don't know about Buttler...he started well last year but has not pushed on...actually, just checked his record and it's not that bad (for this team), better than Bairstow.
Playing devil's advocate, it always looks bad when someone plays a shot like Jason Roy did...should he have just hung around and waited for the inevitable bat/pad like the others? Had he connected....

stantheman

On Moderation
Joe Root ...the most boring overrated English batsmen ever , just a grafter ...but who else is there for his position

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Courtesy of i newspaper, Steve Smith's test average against left arm spinners = 34, his average against all other types of bowling = over 74, so, for that reason alone, Leach should be selected for the next test.

Reminder - the First Test in the iconic 2005 Ashes series was won by Australia on day four. It was the last time I considered going to see a Test, because I was gifted a free ticket for day four, but as England had lost five wickets at the end of day three, rain was forecast and I had to make a near 600 mile round trip I didn't bother. I seem to remember England getting a worse press that day than now, incidentally.

The Edgbaston test was the first to be held that will count against the World Test Championship that will come to a conclusion in June 2021 with a final at Lord's.

Pakenhamtrain

The Edgbaston test was the first to be held that will count against the World Test Championship that will come to a conclusion in June 2021 with a final at Lord's.
And the current Table:
Australia: 1 win 0 losses. 1.744 RPWR. 24 points
England 0 wins 1 loss. 0.573 RPWR. 0 points
Everyone else: 0

Lyon bowled fantastically. Im annoyed we didn't wrap it up by midnight. Woakes and Ali didn't consider us on the eastern seaboard that we had work in the morning and hung around like a bad smell.
Did Roy think it was a ODI or something?
Siddle bowled well without much by the way of luck.

Umpire Wilson. Possibly the worst umpire I have ever seen. 8 decisions overturned.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My XIII for Lord's:

Ah Busaholic....someone else who agrees that Foakes should be in

there simply isnt going to be large changes, at least not yet. All involved, if fit, will be in consideration

Anderson is out so I expect Archer will come in - if fit

Joe Root ...the most boring overrated English batsmen ever , just a grafter ...but who else is there for his position

we needed solidity yesterday NOT stupidity of the sort Roy displayed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The thing with Roy is that I think he may have a role as a destructive opening batsman in test matches who got their start in the short stuff (see David Warner for example). But I'm far from convinced that the Ashes was place for him to start his test career....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The thing with Roy is that I think he may have a role as a destructive opening batsman in test matches who got their start in the short stuff (see David Warner for example). But I'm far from convinced that the Ashes was place for him to start his test career....

Agreed - Sometimes he ( and others) need to engage Geoffrey Boycott mode and understand that doesn't make them a lesser player.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it is easy to mock people like Boycott because of the way the game has changed but sometimes you need that kind of obstinate defiance and a simple unwillingness to give your wicket away. I don't think many modern cricketers are able to do that

Busaholic

Veteran Member
it is easy to mock people like Boycott because of the way the game has changed but sometimes you need that kind of obstinate defiance and a simple unwillingness to give your wicket away. I don't think many modern cricketers are able to do that
I wasn't mocking Boycott at all: our test team could do with someone of his ilk. His comments are always worth hearing too, unlike, say, Sir Ian Botham who couldn't make an original comment to save his life. I also happen to know of great personal kindness Boycott showed over a period of time to someone I met, which countered for me some of the allegations made against him by an ex-lover in a French court.