• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

DelW

Established Member
As far as I can see, there'll be no radio ball by ball commentary on the Sri Lanka tests. A web search picks up press articles from mid February, saying that Talksport has not taken up broadcast rights, and that the BBC was negotiating to broadcast on TMS. However the TMS website doesn't mention any upcoming coverage, so unless anyone knows different, we won't get any?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I can see, there'll be no radio ball by ball commentary on the Sri Lanka tests. A web search picks up press articles from mid February, saying that Talksport has not taken up broadcast rights, and that the BBC was negotiating to broadcast on TMS. However the TMS website doesn't mention any upcoming coverage, so unless anyone knows different, we won't get any?

Article I read was that Talksport have first choice but declined however their decision came too late in the day for the BBC to arrange coverage hence no coverage at all.

DelW

Established Member
All academic now anyway, as the BBC are reporting the tour as being called off, with the current warm-up match abandoned part way through the second day. Team and staff returning home asap.

Several preseason tours also likely to be cancelled, and there may well be a delayed start to the home season. Mind you, at most April county matches, there'd be no problem maintaining a safe space round each spectator!

All academic now anyway, as the BBC are reporting the tour as being called off, with the current warm-up match abandoned part way through the second day. Team and staff returning home asap.

Several preseason tours also likely to be cancelled, and there may well be a delayed start to the home season. Mind you, at most April county matches, there'd be no problem maintaining a safe space round each spectator!
the local cricket season starts late April this looks sure to be disrupted

philjo

Established Member
BBC news was reporting earlier that the counties are in discussion with ECB over options for rescheduling the season, with some matches possibly in early October.
Playing behind closed doors is also a possibility.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
BBC news was reporting earlier that the counties are in discussion with ECB over options for rescheduling the season, with some matches possibly in early October.
Playing behind closed doors is also a possibility.
I got the impression most county championship matches were already played behind closed doors :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A pity that Hampshire will now not have the services of the Australian spin bowler Nathan Lyon for the first part of the 2020 County Championship season on account of the current uncertainty as to when that season will actually commence.

Having listened to last year’s Headingley test on TMS yesterday, t would have been nice to welcome him with a ‘Lyon lost the Ashes’ sing song.

bspahh

Established Member
Sky have put the last hour of the Headingley Test with comments from Stokes & Root at

Last edited:

Bobdogs

BBC2 are to show highlights of the forthcoming West Indies series at 7pm. This together with replays of recent games on Sports Extra. Thank you BBC.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes! Some good news at last that Cricket is returning:

West Indies arrive on 9 June and will be based at Old Trafford for initial quarantine and training.

• First Test v West Indies: 8-12 July, Southampton
  • Second Test v West Indies: 16-20 July, Old Trafford
  • Third Test v West Indies: 24-28 July, Old Trafford
The original schedule, which featured Tests at The Kia Oval, Edgbaston and Lord's between 4-29 June, was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Looking forward to having some live coverage to enjoy. Sky Sports and the BBC have been doing their best to give us interesting things to watch/listen along to (I've enjoyed Sky Sports 'Watchalong' segments where they have some key players from the match commentate on the key moment of a Test match they played in) but blimey I'm ready for some live action to resume!

Domestic season still on hold however until at least 1st August and whilst the Hundred has already been jettisoned it will be interesting to see what the season ends up looking like. It sounds like that they're still hoping to fit in the T20 Blast including Finals Day along with some sort of County Championship but I would suggest in that case that the Royal London One Day Cup is unlikely to happen this year at all. Considering the situation we find ourselves in I think pulling off the T20 Blast and some Championship cricket could be considered a reasonable result.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Meanwhile, recreational cricket is still suspended until further notice and, if I'm honest, I am very doubtful that we'll see anything this season at all.

If we're not given permission to restart before 1st August, all League cricket will be impossible as we won't have enough time to play a meaningful fixture list, so that leaves some form of a cup competition. It'll have to be local, given the restrictions on travel, and there are all sorts of other things to be resolved.

This isn't a complaint, by the way … as a Club Secretary and a Premier League Committee member, I do understand the problems; I just don't see any easy way to resolve them.

Mikey C

Established Member
3 months of glorious cricket weather, when cricket can't be played. You can guarantee that July and August will be cold and wet!

Bobdogs

Pleasant surprise to find 1984 England v West Indies at Lords 6.45 BBC2 yesterday.I didn't see it advertised, another replay of highlights next Saturday 6.45

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The death of Sir Everton Weekes has been announced, aged 95. He was the last of the three 'Ws' (the others being Frank Worrell and Clyde Walcott) who were all Barbadians to survive, and was in the team that beat England for the first time almost seventy years ago. His record of five consecutive test centuries in successive innings may stand forever (he was run out for 90 in the following innings) and it was said his square cut was the fiercest ever seen in test cricket, with the possible exception of his later disciple Gordon Greenidge. I'd imagine the first day's play in the forthcoming England v West Indies series will see players on both sides wearing black armbands. RIP.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of 5......England v. West Indies

After periods of time lost to the weather, England finally succumbed in the mid session of the day to 204 all out in 67.3 overs. Not a single half-century registered.

All 10 wickets shared between two bowlers:-
Holder ..... 20.0 - 6 - 42 - 6
Gabriel .... 15.3 - 3 - 62 - 4

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 of 5 ... England v. West Indies

It looked, late in the day, that England in their second innings had consolidated matters with plenty of wickets in hand, as after 89 overs play they had reached 249-3, than proceeded to lose five wickets for the mere addition of 30 runs to close the day on 284-8, a lead of only 170 runs to take forward to the final day.

jfollows

Established Member
Thoughts on Archer's transgression and suitable punishment?

To explain, Jofra Archer went from Southampton to Old Trafford via his home in Brighton, which broke the rules imposed on the team to keep themselves apart from other people and places. Was he just being silly, or was it worse than that?

My view is that a permanent ban from ever playing for England again would be justified, although would be unlikely. His behaviour was completely at odds with the discipline of being part of a team, betrayed the trust that was placed in him to obey the rules, and he could have caused the remainder of the current Test series to be cancelled. Did he tell anyone what he did, or did he get found out? If the latter, did he therefore intend hoping that he wouldn't be?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My view is that a permanent ban from ever playing for England again would be justified, although would be unlikely.

That would seem to be ever so slightly harsh! I think having to miss at least one game seems like sufficient punishment to me possibly an argument for him to sit out the rest of this series. But permanent deselection would seem like a huge overreaction to me.

jfollows

Established Member
I don't think it's too harsh, but I expect the majority will consider it to be so.

It seems to me that one of three possibilities cover this:

1. Archer didn't realise what he did was wrong. If so, the blame probably falls more on the authorities for not making this clear. Perhaps he was confused because members of the media are allowed to go home between games, but then again they're not allowed close contact with the players so that's not unreasonable.

2. Archer realised it was wrong, but that it wouldn't matter. Since apparently he and all the players have their movements tracked by GPS, this is one possibility. But why did he think it wouldn't matter?

3. Archer realised it was wrong but planned on keeping it secret. This goes completely against any idea of being part of a team, given the potential disruption that might be caused by his catching and then spreading the virus.

However I don't believe (1), and (2) and (3) seem equally damning and - to me - he's unfit ever to be a member of the England team again.

Maybe there are other explanations I haven't considered?

infobleep

Veteran Member
It was announced that one could hear the radio commentary with natural sound, in addition to hearing it with the crowd noise. It was suggested one need to go online to listen to the former.

Last test match I couldn't find it so assumed someone had changex their mind. It was mentioned again today but still I couldn't locate it for a time.

It turns out you can only listen to the commentary with natural sound if you are viewing the desktop version of the. BBC Cricket Live text reporting web pages. Using the mobile version doesn't work.

Personally I think that's rubbish because I was using my mobile to listen to it, so couldn't come across it. Even switching from desktop to mobile when listening doesn't help and the cricket index page is loaded instead.

I appreciate the background crowd bubble is good but I just like the idea of listening o natural.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must admit I'm the same (though with Sky). The crowd noise is very well done but I'd be quite happy with just the actual noise at the ground rather than having crowd noise piped in.