• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricketer Tom Maynard killed on the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Established Member
Unbelievably sad news this - Tom Maynard who played for Surrey, son of Matthew Maynard the former England cricketer has been killed at Wimbledon station, having been struck by a train.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18492564

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
R.I.P. Tom Maynard

What a tragic loss of a young talented cricketer who was likely to play for England.

I cannot imagine what his family are feeling at the moment.

He had settled nicely at Surrey after leaving Glamorgan under unpleasant circumstances & was really enjoying playing again & was made very welcome by his new teammates.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gtmg2a

ReverendFozz

Not a big cricket fan, dont know much about Tom Maynard, but my thoughts go out to his family, his friends, Surrey CCC and of course anyone on LU who was involved...

Seems like Maynard was being billed as the next big thing in English Cricket, well whatever has happened I hope he can RIP

R.I.P TOM MAYNARD

Ferret

Established Member
Not a big cricket fan, dont know much about Tom Maynard, but my thoughts go out to his family, his friends, Surrey CCC and of course anyone on LU who was involved...

Seems like Maynard was being billed as the next big thing in English Cricket, well whatever has happened I hope he can RIP

R.I.P TOM MAYNARD

I'd seen him play a few times on TV for Surrey in T20 and 40 over cricket, and he seemed like a player with potential. Such a shame. Police treating it as non-suspicious so I guess we'll draw our own conclusions. Condolences to all involved. Must be especially hard for people involved with Surrey who not all that long ago lost Ben Hollioake in tragic circumstances and now this:(

ReverendFozz

I remember Ben Hollioakes death, cant remember the cause, but certainly remember it happening, I am not a big Cricket fan, but I do enjoy ODI's now and again and enjoy T20...

People say 'lightning doesn't strike twice', but a cruel event has drifted over them again.

It must be torture for his family, friends, fans and the wider Surrey CCC family, it is bad enough when anybody dies, to see splashed about the media, it must be a million times worse and close to being unbearable...

Massive shame someone with a lot of promise and talent gets taken away from us way to early, I wish everybody involved in this all the very best, along with my thoughts, prayers and condolences, whatever the circumstances, it could be that he was in some dark land, and I can sympathise and relate to that, as I once was stood on the edge of a platform at Durham many years ago and then perched on the Viaduct just beyond the Station, luckily I was saved from Suicide...

Things like this has an effect on other punters, I still get upset about it, because I witnessed a One-Under when I was 16-17 and never rode the Tube for many years but it had a real psychologial effect on me, I also lost a mate to who was hit by a train 12 years ago, put them together with my problems and i still have nightmares about it now and again...

Going off on tangent a bit

Speech Over

Ferret

Established Member
The BBC have now updated the story to include info from the Police:

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "At approximately 04:15 BST on Monday, 18 June, officers stopped a vehicle after it was seen being driven erratically in Arthur Road, SW19.
"The male driver of the vehicle - a black Mercedes C250 - made off on foot. Officers were unable to locate the man.
"At approximately 05:10 BST the body of a man fitting the same description was found on tracks near Wimbledon Park station."

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have a feeling that alcohol may have played a role in this tragedy. Surrey had beaten Kent earlier in the day so one assumes that they went out to celebrate the victory.

However, what ever the cause this is still a real shock and an absolute tragedy for all involved and English cricket at large.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
His ability on the cricket field was noted when he attended Millfield School which has a very strong sport ethos. A young man, only really at the start of his cricketing career at the highest level. As has already been stated, the move to Surrey and away from Glamorgan seemed to have been beneficial to him. Requiescat in Pace. Condolences to his family.

Cletus

Established Member
I have a feeling that alcohol may have played a role in this tragedy. Surrey had beaten Kent earlier in the day so one assumes that they went out to celebrate the victory.

However, what ever the cause this is still a real shock and an absolute tragedy for all involved and English cricket at large.

Kent beat Surrey.

LE Greys

Established Member
It is an unbelievably sad loss. Tom Maynard was an immense talent.

Agreed. I'd heard a lot of good things about him, and was hoping to see him in an England cap in a few years. Whatever happened, I'm very sorry to hear it.

ReverendFozz

It does seem now that Alcohol was a factor, as has been stated he was seen driving erratically, police try to pull him, Tom Maynard legged and somehow ended up on the tracks at Wimbledon Park and the cause of was either electrocuted and/or hit by a train...

Whatever the circumstances, it isn't a nice way to go, an nobody deserves to go that way

bnm

Established Member
Have some consideration for the deceased, his family and friends.

All supposition. And really not helpful. Let's just let the investigating authorities do their job.

Last edited:

ReverendFozz

Have some consideration for the deceased, his family and friends.

All supposition. And really not helpful. Let's just let the investigating authorities do their job.

I apologise if I have come across as being insensitive there, I know and fully understand what his family and friends are going through, I am just going by media reports and what I have read on the internet, what happened is tragic and a damn shame that a talented kid never got to show the world his full potential and nobody deserves to go like that.

I think I will leave it at that now

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

O L Leigh

Established Member
Such bloody hypocrisy!! It makes my blood boil!! Anyone else and the consensus would be that he was either stupid (if killed accidentally) or selfish (if a suicide). But no, Tom Maynard's death is a tragedy and we all mourn his passing.

Why can't everyone who dies in tragic circumstances on the railway be accorded the same respect as Tom Maynard? We may have heard of Tom and be aware of his achievements, but that does not make all the others less deserving of the same respect simply because we don't know who they were or what their talents and abilities were.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm just as saddened as the other posters so far at Tom's demise, but I fail to understand why it is that he should be treated so differently to everyone else.

...with respect.

O L Leigh

Dieseldriver

Thankyou O L Leigh!! You have just saved me the time and effort of writing pretty much what you have.
I don't see how it makes things any different that he played a bit of cricket and was publicised in the press. If there had been a fatality under these exact circumstances with a mere peasant not worthy of press attention, the reaction of people would be so much different.
It is sad that he's died in this way, in the exact same way when anyone dies in this way. However, having said that, I find it strange how he runs away from the police when they need to speak to him after he's been driving erratically. Be interesting to see the official line on that and to see if actually, he was putting other peoples lives at risk beforehand anyway.
I am always constantly amazed at the British public's views on people that play sport as heroes. Just something to think about, when a youngster gets hit by a train and killed (just an average youngster) and the views from people are much less sympathetic than they are for this Tom Maynard bloke, just remember you have absolutely no idea on the course of his/her life or the achievements of their life as they are not reported on in the nations press. They too could have achieved great things such as in this scenario making it just as big a loss. All things said and done, it's always sad to hear of someone dieing in these circumstances so thoughts to Tom Maynard and family, aswell as the railstaff involved in this tragic incident.

LE Greys

Established Member
Because it's a question of what might have been. Everyone has the potential to be something more than average, in this case though he had almost made it. That, plus the fact that it appears that there was something compounding this (I won't speculate what) that caused him to be less than fully aware at the time. People judge accident and suicide (and murder - still possible and we haven't had the inquest yet) differently. They also judge differently according to age and class. Whether that's hypocrisy or distinction is not for me to say.

snail

Established Member
I fail to understand why it is that he should be treated so differently to everyone else.
You have answered your own question:

We may have heard of Tom and be aware of his achievements

Like it or not, this person was in the public eye. Why do you get annoyed because people are upset at his passing? If it was someone known personally to you, but not to the rest of us, would you refrain from commenting then?

ReverendFozz

Thankyou O L Leigh!! You have just saved me the time and effort of writing pretty much what you have.
I don't see how it makes things any different that he played a bit of cricket and was publicised in the press. If there had been a fatality under these exact circumstances with a mere peasant not worthy of press attention, the reaction of people would be so much different.
It is sad that he's died in this way, in the exact same way when anyone dies in this way. However, having said that, I find it strange how he runs away from the police when they need to speak to him after he's been driving erratically. Be interesting to see the official line on that and to see if actually, he was putting other peoples lives at risk beforehand anyway.
I am always constantly amazed at the British public's views on people that play sport as heroes. Just something to think about, when a youngster gets hit by a train and killed (just an average youngster) and the views from people are much less sympathetic than they are for this Tom Maynard bloke, just remember you have absolutely no idea on the course of his/her life or the achievements of their life as they are not reported on in the nations press. They too could have achieved great things such as in this scenario making it just as big a loss. All things said and done, it's always sad to hear of someone dieing in these circumstances so thoughts to Tom Maynard and family, aswell as the railstaff involved in this tragic incident.

I think the last 2 posters have made a good point to be honest, just because Tom Maynard is a well known cricketer, why should we go into a state of seemingly national mourning, and the fact that if it was plain ol' me and you off the street it wouldn't get anywhere near the coverage and we would probably end up being looked down upon without knowing the circumstances...

This drags up old memories for me, an old pal of mine was killed on the tracks at Durham about 12 years now and it stirs old memories when I hear of things like this happening

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Established Member
There was a similar incident last year IIRC where a person being chased by the Police went over a level crossing and was hit by a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.