• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crisps on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
What brand of crisps are available on the Inter City TOC's? I seem to recall munching Piper's or Burt's, but I can't remember which company or companies have them.

Sorry if it's a bit of an inane thread!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
I think emt serve your basic walkers

All Line Rover

Established Member
What brand of crisps are available on the Inter City TOC's? I seem to recall munching Piper's or Burt's, but I can't remember which company or companies have them.

Sorry if it's a bit of an inane thread!

Virgin have Piper's either in First Class on board or in their First Class lounges. It's one type in the lounges and one on board!

All Line Rover

Established Member
I think they have Tyrill's on board iirc, I'll update it once I've travelled next

Yes, that's it. I absolutely detest "flavored" crisps (such as Walkers), but Tyrill's are absolutely delicious with a sandwich, and have only 0.1g of salt per packet! They're the only crisps I eat!

bnm

Established Member
FGW is Walkers Big Bags from the Buffet.

Believe it is still Burt's for the comps in 1st Class. Although now only Sea Salted. They used to give out Sea Salt and Black Pepper ones which were seriously peppery! Often times my tongue would find a bit of black pepper trapped between my teeth hours after I'd munched on a bag!

One comp I do miss from the FGW 1st Class trolley is the wasabi peas. Well spicy and great for clearing the sinuses!

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, that's it. I absolutely detest "flavored" crisps (such as Walkers), but Tyrill's are absolutely delicious with a sandwich, and have only 0.1g of salt per packet! They're the only crisps I eat!

I am a bit stumped by that, Tyrrells do several "flavours". Or do you mean you only prefer Lightly Salted?

All Line Rover

Established Member
I am a bit stumped by that, Tyrrells do several "flavours". Or do you mean you only prefer Lightly Salted?

Yes, I like the lightly salted one. They are much superior to Walkers' "Ready Salted", which I find disgusting.

dk1

Veteran Member
To be honest im bored of the so called 'posh crisps'. It gets tiresome. If you sell Ready Salted (Plain in old money), Salt/Vinegar & Cheese/Onion you will please 95% of your customers. The remaining 5% must be vegatarians who are always hard to please :lol:

GNER used to sell pipers over the buffet in 4/5 different flavours, but EC is now walkers or quavers, burts in first class although tyrells do pop up now and again.

valenta

I have to admit that crisp flavours are starting to become ridiculous, and frankly, not tasting anything like the description on the packet.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I have to admit that crisp flavours are starting to become ridiculous, and frankly, not tasting anything like the description on the packet.

What like Cheese flavour containing meat extracts and beef flavour being vegetarian?

BestWestern

Established Member
To be honest im bored of the so called 'posh crisps'. It gets tiresome. If you sell Ready Salted (Plain in old money), Salt/Vinegar & Cheese/Onion you will please 95% of your customers. The remaining 5% must be vegatarians who are always hard to please :lol:

Hmm, vegtarians....my sister is one of them. Grrrr <(

Anyway, crisps. It's surely got to be McCoy's for a quality salted crisp, hasn't it?! Though you now have to part with 95 of the Queen's pennies for a bag in the Pumpkin, jeez... :cry:

Darandio

Established Member
I still think Seabrook is hard to beat and in a great range of flavours, a shame they are not used on TOC's AFAIK.

dk1

Veteran Member
I still think Seabrook is hard to beat and in a great range of flavours, a shame they are not used on TOC's AFAIK.

No no no. NXEA tried Seabrooks as had better margains than Walkers. Punters complained so much that Walkers came back pretty damn quick. Unfortunatley the same cant be said for Coke as we still have to suffer Pepsi.

SS4

Established Member
Yes, I like the lightly salted one. They are much superior to Walkers' "Ready Salted", which I find disgusting.

I prefer their cheese cheddar and onion ones.

Overall I'd have to say monster munch are my favourites, either flaming hot or pickled onion. You can certainly tell the difference between Tyrrell's and Walkers though, the former is a strong biscuit and holds more flavour - a fairer comparison would be to with McCoys
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No no no. NXEA tried Seabrooks as had better margains than Walkers. Punters complained so much that Walkers came back pretty damn quick. Unfortunatley the same cant be said for Coke as we still have to suffer Pepsi.

With Pepsi they may as well sell 100g of sugar :lol:

bnm

Established Member
With Pepsi they may as well sell 100g of sugar :lol:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good exaggeration. Just 0.4g difference in the sugar content per 100ml between Coke (10.6g) and Pepsi (11g). A 500ml bottle of either contains the equivalent of 12-13 teaspoons of granulated sugar. A teaspoonful being approx 4.2g.

So with both 500ml bottles it's nearer 50g of sugar.;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I prefer Pepsi to Coke in the Uk, but I only drink the diet versions. Abroad, I find the Light versions of Coke better than pepsi for some reason!

Back to the crisps. I like Walkers as a sandwich accompaniment, but for crisps on their own the luxury brands are better.

radamfi

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen 50g bags of Golden Wonder on Gatwick Express trains a while ago. Is that still the case? I haven't even seen 50g bags of Golden Wonder crisps in any shops for years. I won't eat any other brand.

WestCoast

Established Member
I always find myself next to someone munching loudly on crisps! It's really annoying, unless I am the one doing the munching! :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure I've seen 50g bags of Golden Wonder on Gatwick Express trains a while ago. Is that still the case? I haven't even seen 50g bags of Golden Wonder crisps in any shops for years.

You cna usually get cheese and onion or ready salted at the Home Bargains shop near us. Big bags, small bages and multipacks!

Darandio

Established Member
You cna usually get cheese and onion or ready salted at the Home Bargains shop near us. Big bags, small bages and multipacks!

I was about to say that, they do seem to be more of a "bargain" crisp now despite being quite good!

radamfi

Established Member

I pick up 6 packs of 25g or 33g single bags in Home Bargains when I am in the north - Surrey/Sussex is too posh for Home Bargains sadly. However, I haven't seen 50g bags in shops, only on trains!

WestCoast

Established Member
I pick up 6 packs of 25g or 33g single bags in Home Bargains when I am in the north - Surrey/Sussex is too posh for Home Bargains sadly. However, I haven't seen 50g bags in shops, only on trains!

Home Bargains are steadily heading South! :lol:

Not Surrey or Sussex, but Edmonton Green in North London, Trowbridge, Waltham Abbey and Basildon now have branches!

Status
Not open for further replies.